Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fixed Site Costs vs Post Soil Test Costs

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Getting mixed feedback a few builders on site costs.

What are people's advice on this? Should we accept the fixed cost upfront? Or take the gamble with post quote? I understand that after ordering soil tests we will know exactly what it will cost. Is this accurate?

M have quoted 20k for site costs
C have quoted 15k

Land is in Berwick Waters and is very flat. Building a double story 45sqs. Builders advs that double stories do have higher site costs compared to single.

Thoughts?

What is the 15k for if land is flat? Is this on top of the standard site cost?
15k is the standard fixed price site cost they quoted.

My land was flat, but I went fixed anyways...

Then the estate piled up uncontrolled fill on my site, no longer flat... and my contract wasn't signed, so after soil tests my site costs went up 6k and a rock clause was added. ;-;
andrewpei

That sounds quite reasonable for a 2 storey.
aloenyx
My land was flat, but I went fixed anyways...

Then the estate piled up uncontrolled fill on my site, no longer flat... and my contract wasn't signed, so after soil tests my site costs went up 6k and a rock clause was added. ;-;

Ouch, maybe fixed is the way to go then.
renoy_jacob_dan
andrewpei

That sounds quite reasonable for a 2 storey.

I see, and here I thought "what do they need to do that costs 15k"

Is there anything else I should factor in here?

Hi there.

We're in Berwick Waters too (Waterside Stage 4) and had heard some absolute horror stories about site costs. After we purchased the land of course!
So surprised when our soil test came back M class, and we only needed 2 screw piles, so roughly $4k all up including temp fencing.

Which stage are you building in?
If there are any site starts nearby, you might get a clue on the soil conditions by checking the number of concrete piers that are poured before plumbing starts to the site. From what we've been told, this is where the $$ add up.
andrewpei
Hi everyone,

Getting mixed feedback a few builders on site costs.

What are people's advice on this? Should we accept the fixed cost upfront? Or take the gamble with post quote? I understand that after ordering soil tests we will know exactly what it will cost. Is this accurate?

M have quoted 20k for site costs
C have quoted 15k

Land is in Berwick Waters and is very flat. Building a double story 45sqs. Builders advs that double stories do have higher site costs compared to single.

Thoughts?

$20k for fairly flat? Too high.

$15k sounds high. How close to easements are u building & how long is the ground floor? Are u sure its completely flat, there might be a slight fall still.

My land has 0.86 of fall from back to front i believe. We are building about 5.5m from rear easement, a double storey with Carlisle and fixed at 15k. Any further adjustments after soil testing was at no cost to us.

Double storey usually have slightly cheaper site costs due to smaller footprint.

My first built we were contemplating a single woth site cost around 15k as it was longer and closer to easement. We ended up with a short double and site cost was less than 10k. We thought land was flat but it had 300mm of fall.
300 mm fall should be covered by the builder isnt it? My land has .5mtr slope and the builder said they cover upto 1 mtr.
renoy_jacob_dan
300 mm fall should be covered by the builder isnt it? My land has .5mtr slope and the builder said they cover upto 1 mtr.

Yep it was covered but was surprised as the land "looked" flat to us!
How do I confirm if there is an actual fall? Would it be on the site plan?

I guess i cant say 100 if it's flat but just by looking, it appears pretty fast, guess I can't be to sure.

andrewpei
How do I confirm if there is an actual fall? Would it be on the site plan?

I guess i cant say 100 if it's flat but just by looking, it appears pretty fast, guess I can't be to sure.

Should be on your engineering drawings given to you at sales office.... if you don't have one call BW sales office for a copy and take it down to C and M and ask them to have a look. M has a cool tool where they use the figures on the report and your chosen plan and you can see roughly how it'll look and sit on the land in 3d i believe.
go with fixed.
I was told I had fixed at $12000 but hadn't signed a contract. Now it is $22000
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

4/02/2024
Soil Test and Compliance

General Discussion

Hi Building Expert, Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated, there is also a code of conduct for building surveyors which they need to follow as well. I am looking…

25/05/2024
Risk of signing contract before soil test

General Discussion

Its never a good idea to sign a building contract without making sure everything is selected, soil test is done Is are dotted and Ts are crossed and without independent…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum