Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

steel framed 'shed' home - first time builder.

Page 1 of 1
Hi All, first time poster and first time builder.

My partner and i are after some acreage to build on, we have found a 10 acre lot we really like and want to build on a budget (doesn't everyone
)

i have been looking into a steel framed home, based off a shed style framing and layout.

plan so far is to steer away from it looking too much like a shed so will be doing textured paint cladding on sides, front facade, Large bifold windows on rear of home going onto deck looking out over the property.

with no power or water on site i am leaning towards an off the grip solar set up (around $15k) and tank water ($3k). Your opinions are welcomed on this, PLEASE!

initial cost for slab, frame, roof and walls is looking around $40K, (27 for home, 13 for slab). this includes the price for getting this to class 1a engineering.

budget for the total build is around 100K but with expectancy for it to go up to 150K.

budgeting so far has been quite vague and judged from asking friends and tradies for rough costs:

frame and slab $40,000
plumbing $4,000
wiring $5,000
deck $2,000
plaster $10,000
doors and windows $10,000
solar $15,000
tank and pump $3,000
fencing $7,000

Plan
Left Side:
Bedroom
Bedroom
Bathroom
Laundry

Middle
Entertaining
Kitchen
Lounge

Right (all sized very large)
Master bedroom
Walk in Wardrobe
Ensuite
this is to fill the whole right side.

any advice anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

on top of this the land is gradually descending with a 20m dam in the middle op the lot, this is where we plan on building so the rear deck overlooks the property and dam.

at the top of the lot is very rocky and poorly nourished dirt, what is the best way to turn this into grazable grass? there are still lots of trees around so im sure this isn't helping but the bottom of the property is very reedy and green so i know things can grow.

hope anyone can give me some advice or feedback as this is the final step before going for it!
sorry.. but how can i add photos?

link to guide would be great
We are building on a rural block in NSW and have been told that we need water tanks that hold a minimum of 60000litres, that puts the price of water tanks up!

NicMac03
We are building on a rural block in NSW and have been told that we need water tanks that hold a minimum of 60000litres, that puts the price of water tanks up!

thank you NicMac, i will keep that in mind.
this is the style i am looking at building

has anyone here done anything like this?
Definitely allow a lot more for water storage if you are relying on it as your water source.
We have 23000L in addition to town water - tank and pump was around 3K that didn't include the overflow, down pipes etc.
Re growing grass, get a soil test done, and you might need to pickup all the rock, get the soil up to scratch with some additions depending on the soil test results and sew some suitable grass seed
Bigblock7
Re growing grass, get a soil test done, and you might need to pickup all the rock, get the soil up to scratch with some additions depending on the soil test results and sew some suitable grass seed

thank you for the tips, exactly what i need to know!
nice block by the way, would love it all green like that!
Related
16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum