Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

My Doulton 56 Classique - Metricon Melbourne

Page 1 of 3
Hi all
I have always love a french look home, a curved staircase, and WIR /ensuites in all rooms. Therefore i chose doulton as it's the only one with a curved staircase in melbourne. Metricon has bordeaux 56A with a curved staircase in queensland now. I have not had my preliminary contract and selection yet so won't be able to provide useful info for that.

I was just in time before the 45k upgrades but paid for 10k ended on 30/6. Base price for doulton 56 is $475100, classique facade is $34700

My upgrades so far:
-upgrade ceiling height 2550 to 2700 ground floor-$4208, first floor from 2400 to 2700 $5775
- rainwater tank . I have a massive water tank now and asked metricon the possibility to hook it to the new house. they quoted me $1590
- extend garage by 500mm and relocate the garage opening to the side elevation $2k
(i have a corner block 1276m2 and existing driveway with 2 gates from the side. So i relocate the garage to facing the side ) that also means the front facade will only have windows . The 3 extra front facade windows (at where the original garage is) is $1830
-flyscreens to all openable windows $880
-3 paramount timber stacker doors 3m wide to outdoor room $1970
- 2400x4330mm paramount timber stacker door for rumpus to outdoor(will be our cinema) $2190
- island bench 3m by 1.8m $1720 ( i don't think this is the correct price as it is for 1350x3300) no other option available and i was advised i will get the exact cost during preliminary contract
-3 franke vela undermount sink, 2 for island bench and one at glass window. i opted for 2 single sinks at island rather than a combined double as i want the stone to be present in between the 2 sinks. They will have to cut the stone for both sinks. $1740
-additional sink plumbing $580
- upgrade to 40mm edge cat 2(not sure about category final decision) $1980
-full height tiling in all ensuites, will come with square set ceiling corner $1880 per room (thats only cat 1, so likely upgrade to better tiles)
-increase all door heights to maximum 2300mm, 26 doors for $1430
- rumpus entrance add on sliding timber with translucent glazing 2340x1200 :$2960 (will be our theatre) sales consultant said this is a nice door
- square set ceiling corners whole house $8792
- 4 star ducted heating $773 and zoning $424 , might need upgrade later at electrical
-extra gas hot water unit $3070

This is a total of $525k now(as we were charged 10k for 45k worth upgrades). I have gone through the new promotion package and i don't think it is more worth than before. I believe after selection and preliminary, there will be a significant difference to the total amount
- pool is 8x4 concrete pool 1.2-1.8 m depth, spa and beach area at one end, so will be about 11m at the end. $90k

Thanks

Very nice home design the Dolton. I recently visited the 56A Bordeaux up here in QLD, them stairs were amazing. Should have took more/better pics.

Staircase picture provided by SC

I saw your picture Dulie, I notice the difference is that mine is curved one side as compared to the Bordeaux , as per plan too

Good to see you started your own thread for your build Hal. The doulton is really good value and would get a lot of interest from those who like the Bordeaux/Somerset but find it a bit steep in price. I have a friend building a bordeaux and she changed her staircase to that classical style but I think it's costing her quite a bit.

Did you ask for the cost of getting 3m ceiling option?
I didn't change much on the plan other than the garage as only 5 of us in the family , with 3 young kids. We also have a matured garden and will likely need to chop down 26 trees. I will have a music room with glass door in stead of study(will do the glass door ourselves), and master bed room WIR facing front to be a study, with ocean view

Hi Vuster,
i did want to upgrade to 3m but its only applicable to signature range. Maximum height for designer range is 2.7m only

I would also like the whole house to be hebel but metricon said i can only do hebel on ground floor for designer range. My friend built his house with hebel on ground and eps first floor and he was happy. i will reconfirm the first floor material again

I will have many things to ask when i meet them again. i am thinking to go as best as i can on the structural material. Finishes can come later if our budget is blown

I am no sure how many times people meet their SC before preliminary? i think we are probably one of the easiest with not much changes. I think i saw her only 3-4 times.

I am also not sure how to put images here if anyone could guide me please. I actually use tapatalk on my phone for images.

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your journeys, it's very helpful for those of us considering these builds. We are interested in these metricon classical designs. Vuster can you please clarify about your friend building the Bordeaux but with the classical stairs, do you mean she's building the Bordeaux 56 with the stairs on the side and changed that to a winding stairs? Or is she building the Bordeaux 56A which is also available in Melbourne I believe but much more costly than the 56
Hi Hal,
Thank you for for sharing your build journey. We are new to this so we are quite confused about it all. Please keep the posts going and the pictures coming
We are interested to know what's your final contract price is and also, did you get charged a 'site costs' fee? Though we have heard it's around $50K+? We have yet to sit down with the SC and see what's the final costs will be with upgrades etc.
aniazur
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing your journeys, it's very helpful for those of us considering these builds. We are interested in these metricon classical designs. Vuster can you please clarify about your friend building the Bordeaux but with the classical stairs, do you mean she's building the Bordeaux 56 with the stairs on the side and changed that to a winding stairs? Or is she building the Bordeaux 56A which is also available in Melbourne I believe but much more costly than the 56

Hi aniazur,

She's actually building the bordeaux 56 however her downstairs has been modified like the somerset 59 design.Her upgraded staircase cost her 41K plus 20K for adjusting the building to suit. Metricon are quite flexible with the home design from my experience. Just let them know what you want and they'll come back with a price. Another friend of mine tried to build the bordeaux on a budget. What she did was chose the Liberty 42 and then made structural adjustments so that the floor plan was similar to the Bordeaux. In the end she got a 50+ square house with similar colour selections as the Bordeaux display.

Hope that helps.
HAL
Hi Vuster,
i did want to upgrade to 3m but its only applicable to signature range. Maximum height for designer range is 2.7m only

I would also like the whole house to be hebel but metricon said i can only do hebel on ground floor for designer range. My friend built his house with hebel on ground and eps first floor and he was happy. i will reconfirm the first floor material again

I will have many things to ask when i meet them again. i am thinking to go as best as i can on the structural material. Finishes can come later if our budget is blown

I am no sure how many times people meet their SC before preliminary? i think we are probably one of the easiest with not much changes. I think i saw her only 3-4 times.

I am also not sure how to put images here if anyone could guide me please. I actually use tapatalk on my phone for images.

Thanks

Hi Hal, I would recommend that you insist them to give you a price for the Hebel for top floor and also 3m ceilings if it's what you really want. Push a bit harder. The decision of not giving you the option is a marketing ploy and I suspect that they can make exceptions given that they make at least a 25% margin on upgrades.

I only saw my SC a few times as well so that's normal.
Thanks for the info Vuster, I will do that when I see them again

Hi Hal, what's the width requirement for the Doulton 56? does the block need to have north/south facing and more than 16m wide? We are in Melbourne so we are wondering if that applies to you? I saw your block and it's huge
thanks.
aussiemunchkins
Hi Hal, what's the width requirement for the Doulton 56? does the block need to have north/south facing and more than 16m wide? We are in Melbourne so we are wondering if that applies to you? I saw your block and it's huge
thanks.

Thanks Hal
Didn't know you can look that up on the plan...we haven't looked into the plan yet but so excited already.
Haha thanks Dulie for the reply, I don't think north/south facing is needed. It's just like any other double storey home, only the front facade facing main road
thanks

Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum