Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

outdoor terrace gas point worth it?

Page 1 of 1
We have put one in our build and i already thunk it will be great. It was 160 with our builder so it will pay itself on.
Definitely worth it and it will pay for itself in no time not having to get gas bottles refilled.

Builders probably charge differently but mine is $190

We got 40mm waterfall for island but pulled back on the bathrooms so it wouldnt be too pricey.

We went with one, was $590 but the plumber has to increase the size of our incoming main gas line to compensate for the number of gas appliances in the property.

If you are quoted less, ensure that there is a note in the quote to cover you if they want to claim a variation on the bigger mains line.
We had one in the house be bought it was great. Be aware though that when buying a bbq you may need a conversion kit (not available for all bbq) s the gas flow is different for a port vs a gas bottle from the servo. Best part is you'll never run out of gas mid bbq again.

I can understand why it might be good to get a gas point but I am actually glad I didnt. The main reason is unless you have a permanent or in built bbq you might find that you prefer to run your bbq in a different area. It also comes down to how much you use it. In about 5 years I am only on to my second bottle. Plus you still need to make modifications to your bobq. In all that my biggest concern was around safety. I just didnt like the idea of having a gas pipe sticking out of the wall.
You dont use a bottle with a gas point. Your bbq needs to have natural gas jets not LPG and its just as safe as using the gas cooker in the kitchen. The bbq does need to be connected to the gas point by a gas fitter for certification.

I think it is only as safe as an indoor point if like an indoor point everything is covered up and hidden and even hidden from the weather. Even if you dont use it and its simply protruding its simply another point of failure. I guess the biggest concerns is you need to be 100% where you put it is where you want to use it. In my case I discovered that where I thought I would want to use the bbq changed a number of times.
Yes if you dont bbq that often its probably not warranted whereas we bbq most evenings in the summer months and cook roasts in it in the winter. Ours is under our alfresco so will be protected from the weather and last house it was under decking.

Related
28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum