Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Waratah Estate (Mickleham). Modified Burbank Macleod 299.

Page 1 of 6
G'day all.

I've recently purchased a lot in the Waratah estate (stage 3) in Mickleham, North of Melbourne. This topic was set up to see if there are others who have purchased lots in Waratah and wanted to chat. My land doesn't title until May 2017, but I am in the process of meeting with builders as this is my first home and I'm doing this on my own without any assistance from anyone else.

I wanted to make this thread so that anyone else in the Waratah estate (or Merrifield, The Woods and Annadale) can get to know their future neighbours. Post updates in relation to the estate and raise any issues that can be forwarded to the developer to answer.

It's also a great place to ask questions about building in the estate and following each others journey. Happy posting and can't wait to meet everyone. Yes, this is much like another thread, but thought it'd be good to start a new one as it's on the opposite side of Melbourne

Timeline:

May 2016 - Purchased land in stage 3 - Waratah 18x32m - 576sqm block
Dec 2016 - Purchased Macleod 299 house with Burbank Homes and $1,500 deposit paid.
26 May 2017 - Drawings received.
22 June 2017 - Colour selections (Edge studio appointment).
August 2017 - Anticipated title date
September 2017 - Anticipated settlement date
October 2017 - Anticipated build start date
Hey

We are building across the road in Merrifield. Our land has just settled - we put the deposit down in June 2015 so it was a long wait!

Who are you looking at building with? Looking forward to seeing your progress!
wickie
Hey

We are building across the road in Merrifield. Our land has just settled - we put the deposit down in June 2015 so it was a long wait!

Who are you looking at building with? Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Oh congratulations! Merrifield is going to be an amazing little city. I'm glad I'm going to be a part of it! I know how hard the wait is, I put my deposit down in early May 16, so I still have a while to go.

I'm looking to build with 8homes and I've sat down with them a few times to discuss prices and options. They seem like a really good builder. Who are you building with? Be sure to keep me abreast of the Merrifield developments, keen to see how it's all tracking along seeing as though we're not far away
Posted by Waratah on Facebook, 26th of June 2016:

June 2016 - Construction Update
Stage 1 civil construction works are progressing well. Sewer and Drainage works are nearing completion and road alignments are becoming visible on site. We are forecasting practical completion for late October. And as part of Stage 1 works - we will be constructing access from Donnybrook Road which will be an exciting milestone for Waratah.
Stage 2 works will commence this month, with a forecast for Practical Completion in November and titles by either December 2016/January 2017 depending on wet weather delays we may experience.
Stages 3 & 4 are currently undergoing engineering detailed design and council review/approvals are progressing as planned.
Thank you
Team Waratah
Sorry about the horrible photo, this is a picture of me when I purchased my 576sqm block of land. Was a good day (14th May 16) haha

Aww you look so happy!

We're building with Watersun. We looked at 8homes but couldn't find a design that was just right. Watersun were more than happy to alter the design of the house we liked to extend the garage (Mr Wickies only 'must have' item lol)

I am hanging out for the coffee shop to be built! I do not fancy going all the way to Craigieburn for my morning fix haha
Hi All

So why Waratah over annadale?
I'm in the process of making this decision and would love to hear your thoughts

thanks
wickie
Aww you look so happy!

We're building with Watersun. We looked at 8homes but couldn't find a design that was just right. Watersun were more than happy to alter the design of the house we liked to extend the garage (Mr Wickies only 'must have' item lol)

I am hanging out for the coffee shop to be built! I do not fancy going all the way to Craigieburn for my morning fix haha

That's interesting that you went with Watersun. I had a look at their website as I've never heard of them and they have some really nice designs. Do you know how they compare in terms of pricing with 8homes? I got priced a 30sq home, including alfresco, fixed site costs (20k), driveway, front landscaping, BAL requirements (6k), a few extra internal doors, powerpoints etc. for $240k.

I'll have to go check them out this weekend!

I laughed at your coffee comment... wait until Craigieburn and Mickleham is linked with an internal road and coffee will be minutes away! hahaha
dosai22
Hi All

So why Waratah over annadale?
I'm in the process of making this decision and would love to hear your thoughts

thanks

I liked Waratah because it was very early in release of lots and they only have a handful of lots in comparison to other estates, which keeps it rather boutique, and that's what I like. They're a stone's throw away from each other, so in terms of location.... there's not much difference. I guess it's just pricing point and available lot size per development that's the main differentiation.

If anyone else can chime in on their thoughts, it'd be greatly appreciated.
andyboiii
That's interesting that you went with Watersun. I had a look at their website as I've never heard of them and they have some really nice designs. Do you know how they compare in terms of pricing with 8homes? I got priced a 30sq home, including alfresco, fixed site costs (20k), driveway, front landscaping, BAL requirements (6k), a few extra internal doors, powerpoints etc. for $240k.

I laughed at your coffee comment... wait until Craigieburn and Mickleham is linked with an internal road and coffee will be minutes away! hahaha

Our house is 27sq and we are at 215k ish. We have made some slight changes (ie garage is now extended so no study is included) so not sure what the actual standard price is.

If I could figure out how to put in images I would show you a design plan lol.

Have you got a pic of your plan?
wickie
andyboiii

Our house is 27sq and we are at 215k ish. We have made some slight changes (ie garage is now extended so no study is included) so not sure what the actual standard price is.

If I could figure out how to put in images I would show you a design plan lol.

Have you got a pic of your plan?

Here is the plan on the one I was looking at. It's on display at Highlands Craigieburn.

I wasn't sure to go with this house or a smaller one, bearing in mind that it's just for myself haha

That is a big place for one person - hope you like cleaning
I think if you can afford it, go for it! I wish we got a slightly bigger place than we went for.

haha I went a bit crazy and build a 55 sq home just for myself but no regrets as entertaining guests is a breeze.
dosai22
haha I went a bit crazy and build a 55 sq home just for myself but no regrets as entertaining guests is a breeze.

hahaha you're making me feel a lot better. 55sq would be amazing!!!! I'm so jealous... but I won't get too greedy haha
wickie
That is a big place for one person - hope you like cleaning
I think if you can afford it, go for it! I wish we got a slightly bigger place than we went for.

I just got in to contact with Watersun and they said the Kent 2650 starts at $204,500. Does that sound about right? Seems a little high, especially if I add in extras like driveway etc. it could get to 240-250? Forgive me for all the questions, I just love the design and I'm new to all this
haha
andyboiii
I just got in to contact with Watersun and they said the Kent 2650 starts at $204,500. Does that sound about right? Seems a little high, especially if I add in extras like driveway etc. it could get to 240-250? Forgive me for all the questions, I just love the design and I'm new to all this
haha

Yeah that sounds about right! We got the driveway included as part of a deal they had going when we signed up and that would have been one of the bigger expenses if it wasn't included. My suggestion is (if you're not in a rush) is to work out what extras you want in the house (ie driveway) and then keep an eye out for deals that include them. Also negotiate as much as you can!

Does this mean you're considering the Kent??

Hi Andy
im leaning towards waratah over annadale and will most likely buy this weekend. Just wanted to know how do they give you the $1000 rebate? also what stage are you in?
the only thing im a bit worried is the titling timeframe as I have had bad experiences with titles being delayed.
wickie
andyboiii
haha

Yeah that sounds about right! We got the driveway included as part of a deal they had going when we signed up and that would have been one of the bigger expenses if it wasn't included. My suggestion is (if you're not in a rush) is to work out what extras you want in the house (ie driveway) and then keep an eye out for deals that include them. Also negotiate as much as you can!

Does this mean you're considering the Kent??

I'm going down to Truganina to go see Prince, the salesman. He seems alright.... I won't sign anything yet, just want to get a really good idea. He's included a lot in the price and I'm impressed! I'll be really keen to see your experience with them during your build and the quality looks fantastic. Did you drive to Bendigo and/or Ballarat to see it? They have the same house in Werribee, don't they?
dosai22
Hi Andy
im leaning towards waratah over annadale and will most likely buy this weekend. Just wanted to know how do they give you the $1000 rebate? also what stage are you in?
the only thing im a bit worried is the titling timeframe as I have had bad experiences with titles being delayed.

I bought stage 3 back in May and back then I got no $1000 bonus, however, my block came with complimentary (yeah right) landscaping which is cool. I see they opened up a new stage recently, stage 5, will you be buying there? Is this a place to live or invest? Definitely choose Waratah over Annadale!

They seem to be progressing well with stage 1 and 2, so don't see huge issues going forward. You have to remember, it's a small and niche estate (which is why I love it there) so it shouldn't be overly complicated. Don't quote me on that, I'm just an accountant haha
andyboiii
I'm going down to Truganina to go see Prince, the salesman. He seems alright.... I won't sign anything yet, just want to get a really good idea. He's included a lot in the price and I'm impressed! I'll be really keen to see your experience with them during your build and the quality looks fantastic. Did you drive to Bendigo and/or Ballarat to see it? They have the same house in Werribee, don't they?

Not sure what's at Truganina but it's definitely at Werribee, Bendigo & Ballarat. Bendigo has the smaller version (24sq I think) where as Werribee & Ballarat have the bigger size. If you happen to take a day trip to Ballarat, we pretty much copied all the colours they had lol. We dealt with Connie, who is at Merrifield now but was in Doreen when we started looking. She's amazing so if you need any help, definitely go see her too! (Although I think she is on holidays til August!)

Related
22/01/2024
Regarding Burbank Bricks

General Discussion

Hi All, Recently we have signed a contract with Burbank and we are not aware that they have just DORSET, SURREY, HAMPSHIRE, KENT, PILBARA and REDGUM bricks from PGH are…

26/05/2024
Estate restricting lot owners installing rolling shutter

Renovation + Home Improvement

A lot of those Covenants are put in place at the time the Developers are still involved and marketing a certain look and they get ignored or expire after a time. If the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum