Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anyone used Glen Fern (BORAL) Brick with Shale / Surfmist?

Page 1 of 2
Looking at doing Glen Fern (brown) brick with Shale roof and Surfmist gutters.

Anyone done something similar or used this brick?
We used Boral Glenfern bricks. (We contrasted it with Heifer & Monument) We had issues with the bricks having a defective bevel on 2 points of the brick. If you do go Glenfern make sure you tell your builder not to lay double bevelled bricks as this is definitely a defect. We are currently negotiating a comprimise with our builder's senior management for possibly house render or financial compensation as they laid these defective bricks everywhere.
mil48-2015
We used Boral Glenfern bricks. (We contrasted it with Heifer & Monument) We had issues with the bricks having a defective bevel on 2 points of the brick. If you do go Glenfern make sure you tell your builder not to lay double bevelled bricks as this is definitely a defect. We are currently negotiating a comprimise with our builder's senior management for possibly house render or financial compensation as they laid these defective bricks everywhere.

Hi Mil48
Would you by any chance have a sample picture of the defect? We selected Glen fern using colorbond roof (monument) would be great to know in advance what to look for?
Thanks
mil48-2015

Hi there,

Thankyou for your reply..

I would like to know what the defect is and what it looks like?

Good examples of the bevel. It is ok if only 1 corner has a bevel but when 2 corners have a bevel it is unavoidable, especially to lay in a corner.

Hope it helps & hope the pic uploads worked?
thankyou.
This would happen with any brick wouldn't it as a defect?
Seems like Glenfern is particularly prone to it. Must be the way its made.

Here's a great pic we just took. Look what the bevel does to the mortar widths!
mil48-2015

Here's a great pic we just took. Look what the bevel does to the mortar widths!

Thanks so much I just saw this thread. I really appreciate the pics

Since its a defect did they fix the problem?
Happy to be of help Emmz70. There are a few other issues we need to address at the moment. We are still in negotiation about how & how much will need to be fixed. I'll update once near resolution

mil48-2015
Happy to be of help Emmz70. There are a few other issues we need to address at the moment. We are still in negotiation about how & how much will need to be fixed. I'll update once near resolution

Thanks so much Mil. All the best for negotiations
Let us know the conclusion to the problem.

Im still keen on the Glen Fern but hopefully this is fixable.
Right now we are pushing for them to re-brick the whole house because there are a number of defects, including the bevel.
An independent inspector also reported: poorly installed damp proof course(DPC), DPC installed too high, rising damp, bowed brick walls, mortar perpent widths & mortar bed heights exceeding BCA allowances, other markings on the brick faces. Oh the pain of it all!
mil48-2015
Right now we are pushing for them to re-brick the whole house because there are a number of defects, including the bevel.
An independent inspector also reported: poorly installed damp proof course(DPC), DPC installed too high, rising damp, bowed brick walls, mortar perpent widths & mortar bed heights exceeding BCA allowances, other markings on the brick faces. Oh the pain of it all!

Oh my goodness

That is a lot of defects
I hope this this gets dealt with ASAP. So they have to re-brick?? No other way??
It makes me wonder why do these bad brick layer get the job !! Mil, I am with you. Emma directed me here as I am going through something very similar .

Bowed wall, holes all over mortar and , different mortar colour and bad pointing through out the whole house and many bricked around the window and door frames are cut short.

Have you moved in ? How are they going to re brick the whole house ? Builder seriously need to fix the issue and compensate the time and living arrangement you have to put up with

Hi Emmz70,
Apparently no other proper way to do it. If DPC is attempted to be retro-fitted it can cause a slip joint. DPC is meant to be installed as the walls are being built.

Sunxiao, No we have not booked in our PCI (practical completion inspection) yet & will definitely not be moving in until all this rubbish gets sorted.

We are going through BACV & potentially VCAT or even court to get this sorted because they seem to be playing dod'gy games with us. Very hurtful & disappointed to say the least.
Ps. I think i better continue this conversation in the general Carlisle homes & Spectra thread as it is not the original topic of this thread.
cheers.
I wish you all the best
I would be the same!! I'd refuse to move in (even though we'd love to) until all this rubbish is sorted. I understand a house cant be 100% but You want to move into an almost perfect home with just cosmetic issues not major ones

Hopefully it all ends well
Related
26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum