Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First build - Semi-detached S.E Melbourne - LOCKUP

Page 1 of 1
Hey Everyone

We're around 5 months into a build in Glen Iris Victoria. It's the first house we have ever built. Its actually classed by council as a renovation as we're keeping the front two rooms and joining boundary wall but its being gutted so it more like a new build.

Here's some pics of the original house. Block is narrow but pretty long at 8.35 x 45 meters. We'll be transforming the old 1930's (at a guess) 1.5 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home with open plan living area which opens onto a north facing courtyard at the rear of the block via two fairly large stacking sliding doors.

Hydronic heating, gas fireplace inside, real fireplace outside.

Here's the new floor plan. The solid black walls are existing building.

And elevations. We made a few changes hence the red bubbles.
Demo started in Feb this year, a lot of it was done by hand as to not disturb the neighbours house on the boundary wall. As the original house was not that big there wasn't a lot to knock down. We kept the bricks and have reused them on the new part of the build. I thought we would have enough bricks but I was very wrong. We used another 8-10 pallets of recycled red bricks to complete all the new walls!

The paint was stripped from the front section to reveal some nice red brick walls. Unfortunately the mortar has not aged well so it will need to be repointed. If anyone has any recommendations of good repointing companies or experts please let me know as the brickies are not that keen to touch it.

Before paint stripping

First pass of paint stripping

Paint all gone and planning advertising notice out.

Outhouse and rear bedroom gone

Original bathroom gone

Site cleaned up. The internal brick wall had to be replaced in the end as it wasn't in good condition but this is where the old house stops and the new house begins.

Piles of bricks and rubbish

Once the site was cleared it was time for the foundations and subfloor. We're going for a post and beam? floor as we wanted to continue the timber floor from the original part of the house.

Holes dug for foundation

Concrete stumps positions and concrete poured.

Subfloor almost complete with yellow tongue floor

This will be the walkway down the side of the house

Framing started and steel work going in

Some serious PFC beams going in. The longest spans 11m!

Trusses and awning going in along with facias.

Decking frame going in.

Roof trusses looking out to the rear courtyard

Raked ceiling roof trusses

Framing almost complete

Laundry Door

Double hung windows in master bedroom

Highlight windows sitting up top of an 11m steel beam
wow great project, love the new floor plan. It will be so nice to entertain in great flow from living to outside.
Thanks Surtees! Looks like your place is well under way too! We're up to plastering now as well, its the first time where you get a good feel for room sizes and the flow of the spaces.
Yes it is coming along nicely. You are right the plaster really gives you a true feel of the space.
It looks great, we are looking at ding the same a few suburbs away. What builder did you go with and how long will the reno take?
Hey Dan, we went with www.blockconstructions.com.au Build time is about 9 months but we're getting to the pointy end now so fingers crossed we can get it done in time. Who have you gone with and whats your time frame and sum cost?

ps: 1978 = Good vintage
The chippy's and plasters have been hard at work getting the door jams and plaster sheeting in. Can really feel the size of the rooms for the first time now the walls and ceilings have been covered. Feels more like a real house each day.

We've gone for a P50 shadow line on the door jamb's which will cost a little more but looks more modern.

Looking down the hallway into the open plan kitchen/living area.

Kitchen

Living area with fireplace and highlight windows

Recycled red brick down the side concealing the stacking doors when the glass eventually arrives.

Storage area (a man has to have a shed, even if its extremely small)

New aluminium windows replacing the old wooden ones. The original brick work will be repointed at some point as the mortar is knackered after 90 years.
Related
4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

24/05/2024
MJH 2024 - Timeframe from lockup to PCI

Building A New House

Anyone have any ideas on time frame? - Our gyprock got delivered today and SS said it will be all installed by end of this coming week with waterproofing to be done a few…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum