Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need some advice on plans pls!

Page 1 of 1
Hi New here just hoping for some opinions/advice please! Building an Onyx 5400. plans almost there still a bit of fine tuning to go. We have 5 children so they will have a room each. Currently have a spare/playroom on the plans north/west side so that room will get some nice warmth and sun. Also have views to a bay on our southern side (where all of the bedrooms are) Husband reckons that the play area should be at the front part where bed 6/7 currently are. I disagree as yes they will have the views, but light wise being on the south east side they will get no warmth etc. And lets face it the kids hardly sit and stare out the windows at views, but of course in case we do decide to sell down the track it may end up being more of an adult area etc, Any tips/advice? I just figure in the new owners want the views they can knock down the wall and remove bed 6's wardrobe to create a living area there.. any feedback most welcome. Im pretty happy with how the plans sit right now aside from increasing the size of bed 6 by taking off a bit of bed 5 just to even those there "boys" rooms out a bit.

....How to I share the pics of the plans??!!!

Beds 5, 6 and 7 are a long way from the bathrooms. And it seems odd to have one off the activity room.

Passage way into bed 1 looks like a waste of space. Same for the 1m gap to the laundry chute.

Gym next to the library...hmmm
Sorry I know you didn't specifically ask for guidance on this but I did wonder..

You entry to the pantry- have you thought about moving this to the left so you have a walk straight through and moving the fridge out to where the entry currently is?

Also wondered if you could/have considered access to the chute from your ensuite. I know you kinda have to put it there due to laundry location but at least the minimises the distance for you and hubby.

Love love your floor plan. Very jealous of your gym! So wish we had the width on our block to have put a gym room where you have

The kids activity area is really awkward as it is. It will be extremely difficult to place furniture with the bathroom and toilet off if. I realise there's two upstairs bathrooms but I'd also consider putting basins in both the toilets to create powder rooms.

To your question, I agree with your husband. I'd make the most of the views by seeing them from living areas wherever possible.
I agree with moving your fridge to where your pantry entrance is from the island bench. Personally I'd also remove the door into the hall.

Upstairs id rearrange bed 5 by putting the bathroom and toilet between bed 5 and 6 and shuffling the bedrooms along toward bed 3 as it's currently super close to your bathroom off activity room.

Can your laundry shoot be moved so it's on the bedroom side of your vanity? Seems like open space anyway? Then move vanity along so it's effectively opposite your bath?

Then maybe your 1m gap beside stairs can become some form of walk in storage?

I also agree with your OH about the rooms and the view. Big house!

Hi All thanks for suggestions,

Yep still few tweaks to go

RE fridge yes will be moving it to end of island bench that way its not opening right next to stove, also gives more space planning on pidgeon pair I believe thats the most effective way to get the largest capacity possible?? Also removing second pantry entrance off passage to increase capacity of pantry. Will remove window too as cool and dark is best for food storage!

Library is actually office for physio/PT husband who does a lot of work from home. Will have physio/rehab work clients there so that works perfect.

Have not considered laundry chute, Husband hates how you can't walk thru there too, perhaps once we reshuffle things there will be gap.

Yes toilet will be in bathroom. That was pencilled as the boys bathroom how on either would i get my boys to wash their hands if there was no vanity within 30 cm of the toilet lol

Thank you for your input, Busy mum have not had time to run the plans by anyone really ! Thought the forum will be a great place to ask.

Now to sit down and figure out the top level reshuffle,

thanks again
I love how enormous your house is going to be... but... to me it doesn't look like its been designed very well. Please don't take this the wrong way, but at the moment it looks like its been drawn to accommodate all the rooms you require, but without the flow and clever use of space it could have.
A home with this starting plan has the capacity to be AMAZING!

One of my first thoughts is, do you need enormous walk in robes in bedrooms 2-5? The double sliders in rooms 6 and 7 look reasonably sufficient - perhaps if you were to tinker it a bit, you could put one bathroom/loo between beds 2 and 3 and the other between 5 and 6.

Another idea would be to flip your ensuite 90 degrees and pull it towards the Master more, allowing you to recess the bathroom in it's current position into the resulting gap, rather than have it sticking out into the activity.
You master is huge and the WIR could be reconfigured to make an elegant dressing room, Home Group WA (WA based I know) has some gorgeous Master retreat designs - here's an example

http://www.homegroupwa.com.au/perth/display-homes/displayhome/22

How old are your kids? Would they benefit from multiple activity spaces? You've got a great space backing onto WIRs 2 and 3 that could be turned into a study nook - those are the details that really wow me in a home.

Out of interest, how do you get to the balcony?
Downstairs, would moving your laundry to the front end of the Guest/powder room be possible?
You could even turn the guest room 90 degrees, do you need access to the living from both sides of the staircase?
The laundry next to the living room seems a bit odd - and you may get the washing machine noise coming through.

Now I love kitchens - another area to really wow! Love the idea of a side by side fridge/freezer, moving the WIP door to the middle seems a great move. I'd keep the window, and some bench space so you can send the kids in there to sort out their toast etc
Again HGWA has some clever kitchen/scullery designs, as does Dale Alcock and Gemmill if you have time to have a look

Look forward to seeing your plans evolve
Related
3/05/2024
Reorganizing my bedroom, need some advice

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hi guys, I'm planning on reorganizing my bedroom completely so any kind of advice will be helpful since i have zero knowledge about interior design, matching colors,…

25/04/2024
Owner Builder : Need some help

Owner Builder Forum

Hi VK, Think it's worth investing time in an Owner Builder course to equip you with basic knowledge on Australian Building Industry and its regulations. Also, I suggest…

28/04/2024
Need some front yard ideas!

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Need some ideas for my front yard. There are a few elements where the landscaping needs to take into account: There is a slight slope forward with steps going to…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum