Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

North facing block: Masterbed upstairs in rear or front?

Page 1 of 1
Can you please share your views on the location of master bedroom?

Ours is a north facing corner block. Right side ie the east side has the secondary street. Neighbour house will be on the west.

So in our double storey house should we have our masterbed in the front or back?

Also any suggestion for the upstair leisure location?

We are currently considering Clarendon Home's Sheridan 38 and Madison 37. Most likely Sheridan we will end up with since it meets most of our requirements with few design modifications. But we are hesitating with the masterbed in the back.

We will appreciate your opinions in this regard from experience/ knowledge.

P.s. the block has 16m wide streets both in the front and right (East) sides having houses coming up on its opposite.

Thanks,
Kazi

The highlighted block is the one....

The rear of our block is north facing. We designed our home so no bedrooms copped the heat. My Wife and I hate having a hot bedroom.

Imagine all that light belting in all day in summer! Up to you, hope your not a shift worker.

Heres our plan.

I wouldn't like my bedroom facing north. Currently our bedroom faces south west. We get a little afternoon sun but no direct sun for the majority of the day. It prevents the bedroom from becoming an oven.

The master bedroom at our last house had walls that faced north and west. That was horrible!
Another thing is you may have issues with windows on your west side and south because they will overlook other houses.

Just to show there is one in every crowd we have a north facing main and love it. It has beautiful views on a slope and a covered, insulated veranda with deck, West wall no windows, east 2 louvre windows. Live in northern nsw, ceiling fan no aircon and comfortable in summer.

Kazi
Can you please share your views on the location of master bedroom?

Ours is a north facing corner block. Right side ie the east side has the secondary street. Neighbour house will be on the west.

So in our double storey house should we have our masterbed in the front or back?

Also any suggestion for the upstair leisure location?

We are currently considering Clarendon Home's Sheridan 38 and Madison 37. Most likely Sheridan we will end up with since it meets most of our requirements with few design modifications. But we are hesitating with the masterbed in the back.

We will appreciate your opinions in this regard from experience/ knowledge.

P.s. the block has 16m wide streets both in the front and right (East) sides having houses coming up on its opposite.

Thanks,
Kazi

Ours is a north facing block and that's how we liked it. Designed our home to have leisure room with balcony and sitting room both facing north. These rooms will be used in the evenings.
Our master is located downstairs central west. Definitely not a fan of direct sunlight.
Best of luck with what you decide
Thank you all.

We also want to avoid a hot bedroom. Our current home is north-west facing. It has the master bedroom in the front i.e. facing north west. It becomes so hot in the summer! When the sun sets at around 8pm, it's like an oven when we come to sleep.

That means bedroom in south must be a good solution. We will keep it in mind. Thanks all.

Will like to hear more resonings too....

Kazi Pauline

Kazi
Thank you all.

We also want to avoid a hot bedroom. Our current home is north-west facing. It has the master bedroom in the front i.e. facing north west. It becomes so hot in the summer! When the sun sets at around 8pm, it's like an oven when we come to sleep.

That means bedroom in south must be a good solution. We will keep it in mind. Thanks all.

Kazi Pauline

However I do like the size of your alfresco lovely morning sun and warm during the day.
We also flipped our plan where kitchen and dining are located east and family and outdoor area west. Hoping to get morning sun and be just right for those evening outdoor dinners.
Emmz70
Kazi
Thank you all.

Kazi Pauline

However I do like the size of your alfresco lovely morning sun and warm during the day.
We also flipped our plan where kitchen and dining are located east and family and outdoor area west. Hoping to get morning sun and be just right for those evening outdoor dinners.

Hi Emmz70,

The home plan with the grand alfresco was not ours. HatlessChimp shared that.

We have not finalised the design yet. However, we are also going to have a 11mx3m grand alfresco. I just love it. I am also a big fan of bifold doors in grand alfresco. But after going through the blogs, it seems like fly screen is a big issue for bifold doors. The retractable/ centor fly screen is the option but not many people recommended it for its low stamina.

Bifold vs Stackers will be a big mental war for me.

Kazi
Emmz70
Kazi
Thank you all.

Kazi Pauline

Hi Emmz70,

The home plan with the grand alfresco was not ours. HatlessChimp shared that.

We have not finalised the design yet. However, we are also going to have a 11mx3m grand alfresco. I just love it. I am also a big fan of bifold doors in grand alfresco. But after going through the blogs, it seems like fly screen is a big issue for bifold doors. The retractable/ centor fly screen is the option but not many people recommended it for its low stamina.

Bifold vs Stackers will be a big mental war for me.

My mistake lol 11x3 is still a great size. Best of luck on your finalised plans
Are you having eaves? Are you double glazing? What type of window covering will you have?
A north facing bedroom will get the winter sun and if you have eaves you should block a fair amount of the high summer sun.
A west window will get all the hot afternoon sun.
A south facing bedroom can be cold in winter and can end up having moisture issues if not ventilated well.
I have lived with a west facing bedroom and it was hot hot hot in summer. We currently have a north facing bedroom window and with eaves and double glazing it is better.
rocketship
Are you having eaves? Are you double glazing? What type of window covering will you have?
A north facing bedroom will get the winter sun and if you have eaves you should block a fair amount of the high summer sun.
A west window will get all the hot afternoon sun.
A south facing bedroom can be cold in winter and can end up having moisture issues if not ventilated well.
I have lived with a west facing bedroom and it was hot hot hot in summer. We currently have a north facing bedroom window and with eaves and double glazing it is better.

Thank you rocketship.

I will consider all these you mentioned eg eve, double glazing etc. If i have the bedroom in north I will try to have a balcony ahead of this. I guess it will help.

But I am douthful about the heat on summer. I don't want to come to a hot bed for sleeping.

Let's see how things come along.

Thanks again for your points.

Kazi (Pauline)

Hi Pauline. We have lived in a single storey home with eaves and master at front in north west corner and North facing windows. Doesn't get too hot in summer - nothing that a bit of air con can't fix! And there's a definite advantage in winter with getting the winter sun

For our next home, we are building a two storey home on a corner north facing block exactly like yours. We are going with a master at the front on the first floor - partly to take advantage of our creek side views and because don't want to be going up and down stairs all day - but also because have heard upstairs rooms can get really hot. So if you're going with a master upstairs, then perhaps it would be at the rear, or else as you said, have some sort of balcony to prevent the summer sun coming right in.

Related
7/09/2023
Black Main Entrance Door in North East-Facing House

Building A New House

The warning is on the sticker on the door too. Second the aluminium powdercoat

24/08/2023
Can I move my home Gym workout station upstairs?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I have a home gym at home. It weights 150KG including the weight stack. I'm a big boy, around 150KG myself. I was thinking about moving it up stairs to the second…

16/05/2024
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

hey nedket, We have a similar lot like yours >. just wondering how is it going with your DA application, is the Blue line is the correct solution (offset the rear boundary…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum