Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How to get value for money using an Architect?

Page 1 of 1
I want to use an architect to design a new house and Ive received a few quotes. They are all fixed fee around 6-8% of the estimated construction cost and broken down into 4 main components:
1. Schematic design
2. DA documentation
3. Construction documentation eg. construction certificate
4. Interior design documentation

6-8% doesn't sound like a lot but for a $1m build its 80K added to the cost before anything is out of the ground.

Is it possible to use an architect to do the design and get DA approval then obtain something like construction documentation cheaper through a draftsman?
The short answer is yes. Have you considered a draftsman for the design or is your heart set on an architect? We were advised not to go percentage of build cost but rather fixed price with clearly articulated in or out of scope. We ended up draftsman for design & basix (in NSW), structural engineer, private certifier for DA & construction certificate. Oh you'll have to factor in council cost as you're submitting or make sure architect includes, many thousands here too.
Good luck!

In the architects fee proposal they specify they do additional drawings for DA and construction certificate. I don't know how much work is involved in preparing those documents but the architect fees for those documentation make up the majority of their cost. Did your draftsman prepare the DA documentation or was it all done by a private certifier?

It would be ideal if I can use an architect to do the design and a private certifier for DA and CC, it would save me a lot of money but I don't want to find that when it comes to construction things go wrong because the drawings weren't 100%. I find using an architect for the whole job is very expensive. So just wanna make sure before I start, I don't want to start the drawings then blow my budget just on the design!
Architect vs Draftsman vs Building Designer
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=71101
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67103
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73070
Copyright
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71740
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72345
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=51051
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52895
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71444&p=1182383#p1182383

Stewie
If you're going down that path, have you considered getting a reputable custom builder? Latitude 37 do all of that in the price. Houses start at 16k per square.
(duplicate post)

JohnDoe2014
Stewie, your ability to pull up related forum threads is awesome.

IWH - we went through the same thinking about 12 months ago. Initially went down the architect pathway (down selected 2 from an initial set of 18). We picked an architect to do concept only (limit our exposure and see if they can do something wow). Ditched the architect after concept diagram did it's rounds with builders.

The first question most architects will ask you is your budget (per sqm). Most of them want to architect homes that are about $2000/sum plus. We thought it was perverse logic to compensate them more if the build cost was more (Ie we wanted time based or capped fees). In our view there was no incentive for them to keep within budget. In their mind more budget typically means higher standard and/or complexity.

We went with a designer/draftsman who did all the requirements needed for cdc/council; I took on negotiations with council. V happy with the outcomes.

Something else for you to be aware of - Many custom builders will want to draw the detailed construction drawings themselves and get the CC themselves.

Quote:
Something else for you to be aware of - Many custom builders will want to draw the detailed construction drawings themselves and get the CC themselves.

That's why I posted the link to copyright JD'14.
If you go to a builder they will charge you to draw the plans. Then after the DA is approved and their final quote comes back at way more than you budgeted for and you want to go to another builder, they will charge you a release fee for those plans as they own the copyright.
You are also better off using a certifier of your own choosing so there is no conflict of interest.

Quote:
If you're going down that path, have you considered getting a reputable custom builder? Latitude 37 do all of that in the price. Houses start at 16k per square.

Ponzu he is building in Sydney. Lat37 are Vic only.

Stewie
It also really depends how much design input you want. If you only have a very vague brief, then an architect may be able to do a far better job of interpreting your vision and creating something amazing.

If you know your light requirements, size, relative layout and understand the constraints of your residential code, then perhaps a good designer would be able to create your dream. We went with a designer who'd come recommended and he's great. Helped clarify why / why not, moved things around that made sense and our house design suits us down to a tee.

Our fees have come in at:

$1000 - soil tests
$1000 - re-establishment survey
$1500 - contour survey
$3500 - Designers plan to working drawings (consisted of approx 6 meetings, heaps of back and forth by email & phone)
$1100 - Preliminary engineering

I'm now paying a little bit extra and going through with facade 3D imaging and also landscape plans. The builder that we select at tender will manage the council planning and approvals process.
PVBuild
It also really depends how much design input you want. If you only have a very vague brief, then an architect may be able to do a far better job of interpreting your vision and creating something amazing.

If you know your light requirements, size, relative layout and understand the constraints of your residential code, then perhaps a good designer would be able to create your dream. We went with a designer who'd come recommended and he's great. Helped clarify why / why not, moved things around that made sense and our house design suits us down to a tee.

Our fees have come in at:

$1000 - soil tests
$1000 - re-establishment survey
$1500 - contour survey
$3500 - Designers plan to working drawings (consisted of approx 6 meetings, heaps of back and forth by email & phone)
$1100 - Preliminary engineering

I'm now paying a little bit extra and going through with facade 3D imaging and also landscape plans. The builder that we select at tender will manage the council planning and approvals process.

Could you please pass on your designer's contact if he is in Sydney?
Quote:
The builder that we select at tender will manage the council planning and approvals process.

PVbuild, why will you get the builder to do that?
Most architects, building designers and draftees all do that as part of the DA process so there is less people involved in the process.

iwannahouse, here is a link that you may find useful for some background info...
What is needed to lodge a DA ( in NSW any way )
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75671&p=1298206#p1298206

Stewie
Sorry Iwannahouse, we're based in Melbourne.

Stewie, I want the builder to project manage the whole process. We should be ok with all the council stuff, have built to all the rescodes and have no overlays, and have checked with council re: what we were going to do. The builder that we select will be able to work with the designer if any changes are required.
Related
15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

6/03/2024
Can you save money with an architect?

General Discussion

I've just had a look at the website. The company are just building broker's. There are plenty of similar companies that basically draw your plans (they own them so you…

29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum