Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Built with Dwyer Quality Homes - need advice about QBCC

Page 1 of 1
We are trying to get over the build from hell.
After signing the contract we got a contract manager who ignored 6 emails and finally told us that the build would take every day allowed in the contract. Then a supervisor who belittled us at every opportunity, never replied to emails and sometimes answered or returned calls. Anything that went wrong - such as the Walk in Robe wall being made to the roof instead of the 1.8 m that was in the plan was our fault because it wouldn't work anyway - "and it will cost more to sort it now"

Other things were either our fault as "you signed the contract" and it was in it - or "I was not privy to that conversation! Only proving that there may not be any distribution of information through the company

The handover was a joke - the money was paid - I informed their accountant that it was coming, then just as it was to be paid told him it was imminent and I would arrange for a screen shot to prove the transfer.

After the money was paid and screen shot sent I rang back - to be told that the accountant had gone home [3 pm Friday] and that we would have to wait til Monday. I asked for someone to do a walk through with us and give us the keys. An hour and a half later we were told that no-one was willing to make the 10 minute trip up to us and if we wanted the keys we would have to come and get them.

We did - and then it was an unusual handover and we were not entitled to a final inspection. No memtion was made of our asking for an inspection. Eventually the Master Builders mediated and we did get an inspection and Dwyers [Dwyer Quality Homes] agreed to fix some things such as the range hood vented into a sealed cupboard and the garage floor which was in the contract to be sealed but then changed to not sealed with no variation or price reduction.

From there we had a list of problems such as rust on the roof, a door which leaked whenever it rains and runs through the laundry and the door itself is badly swollen. They sent reps to look at the problems - were advised that there were problems and then have done nothing.

We have been trying to get proof of purchase to register warranties and to get a rebate on the solar hot water - they won't answer emails or do anything to help us.

Mielle have finally accepted the warranty but Rheem so far haven't.

Finally yesterday I approached the QBCC to ask for help [we got possession Nov 6 2015] and have been told that we have to wait as Dwyers have 6 months to resolve the problems before they can step in. They agree that we have a strong case but say that until the time is up they can't do anything. Also they told me that unless it was spelled out in the contract we have no way to actually get them to give us proof of purchase.

Does anyone have any experience with these sort of things? Is there any way to resolve it?

Peter
dupete49
such as the range hood vented into a sealed cupboard

Nearly fell off my seat at that one, to say the installer had half a brain would be being too nice.
To add insult to injury - the power wire was neatly rolled up in the butterfly vent so it couldn't open anyway.

The back door still floods the house every time that it rains and the last time we actually had someone from Dwyers here was November 2015 - nearly 3 months ago. about every 3 weeks we get an email assuring us that they are trying to sort our issues

I have decided that perhaps I should leave posts on their face book page - they take it down and I just repost it - isn't social media fun?
Peter
Hello - I just wanted to see how your repairs went with Dwyer? Did everything get resolved?
Related
2/05/2024
Ceiling Joist/s Timber quality Question

General Discussion

It's MGP 10 which means every length has been machine graded to it's specified engineered strength. It may not look pretty and if you where hand picking your timbers you…

23/04/2024
Omaxe homes - Melbourne - anyone built with them?

Building A New House

I haven’t. But have a Lowe Design home. Not only did I find Matt Lowe patronising and a bully, but the home is NOT TO CODE. I have water coming through the bricks…

7/06/2024
Omni built homes brisbane - builders feedback

General Discussion

Thanks , we decided to go with them now in the process of designing, yes I agree they are super flexible with design and super flexibility with our needs , anyway one…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum