Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Extras for electrical - does this sound too high?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We recently got a variation from our builder for the extra electrical work we had asked for, it originally came back at $4400, so we cut down on a few things and got it down to $3000.

We still feel this might be a bit high, this is basically for the following extras (all clipsal gear):

-Additional Electrical supply & install (more circuits?)
-4 x Standard light points
-8 x White halogen down lights with surface sockets
-2 x Double power points
-5 x Single power points
-1 x Single outdoor power point
-1 x Double outdoor power point
-2 x Pre-wiring for ceiling fans (to be supplied by us)
-2 x Pre-wiring for 6m long cable mounted halogen down light kits (kits supplied by us)
-2 x 3 in 1 bathroom light/fans

Does this sound right or is our builder taking us for a ride?

Thanks.

Edit: This is in SA.
yeah it does sound high, but what are you gonna do??

it seems a shame not to have the work done whilst there is no plaster up even though you could get someone in later on (but they would probably charge you the same anyway cos it would be a pain in the arse).

I thought I paid a bit much for my extra electrical work but wanted it all done at the same time to save the hassle and so that I can blame the builder if something goes wrong.

I reckon you should go for it otherwise you will regret not going to the effort and expense down the track.

Hope this helps
Yes they're good points.

I was speaking to an electrician and he was saying that for a new house it usually costs about $100 per item i.e. light & switch/cabling & point which would make it about $2700 not including the extra circuits etc. So I guess it's not that bad. Just a bit of a shock! No pun intended
Just to give you an idea, our builder charges approx.:
$55 per light point
$60 per double power points
$120 per outdoor double power points

Also, rather than going with single power points, check the marginal cost of going to double power points. Normally it is not significant and therefore makes much more sense to go with doubles (especially outdoors). They may save a lot of grief later on.
Yeah, most of our points are doubles, the singles are mainly for appliances, washers, roller door & water pump etc.
HJi all,

Here is a trap for young players.

When you get downlights put in a new house with Volume builders, you get double whamied.

You will be charged for an additional light point, which will be a fixed baton point say $44 ea

You will also be charged then to convert that point to a downlight. $56 EACH

If you are building a 2 storey, then it is worth it or if you know a sparkie!!)

Ours was a single storey, but no sparkies in the friend or relative category, so we got them installed in the living areas only.

Total cost was $2416

Additional doubles were $110 each.

Adrian B
Double post
Just for some closure on this thread. With negotiation with the builder we got this down to $2800 and they're throwing some extra light points and outdoor points in free of charge. So I'm fairly happy with that.
Related
13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

13/06/2023
Sound Proof Modular Fence recommendations

Outdoor Living

Hi We have a road close to our place and only an old flimsy wooden fence between us and the Neighbour closest to the road. Any ideas on a sound proof modular fence. Like…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum