Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Any ideas on house plan?

Page 1 of 1
Hi I am getting a bit closer to the house plan we want, has anyone got ideas on how this plan can be improved at all? The house will be facing the north, and is going to be built in Southern Tasmania.

Hand drawn plan, wow!

It's nice I think could be a beautiful home.

You've got a bit of a line of sight from living room to powder.

I think a slightly larger (wider) foyer would suit this home.

Custom knockdown rebuild Newcastle NSW
viewtopic.php?t=78271
Hi yes I am not sure what I can do about the powder room and line of sight from family room. Will think about enlarging the foyer, its mainly to act as an airlock.
What do you think about the living room window, hubby wants it to be a bay window there, I was thinking about a sliding or stacker doors or something to open onto the verandah, I don't like the sharp shape as it is now.
I agree with Lexie5000 that foyer should be wider.
Entry is where your visitors come and get first impression. It should be elegant and Yes "impressive" it defines your home and who you are.
Bay window would be nice but equally there is trend toward seamless transition between external and internal areas and stacked would do well. Hard choice
Lorri
Hi yes I am not sure what I can do about the powder room and line of sight from family room. Will think about enlarging the foyer, its mainly to act as an airlock.
What do you think about the living room window, hubby wants it to be a bay window there, I was thinking about a sliding or stacker doors or something to open onto the verandah, I don't like the sharp shape as it is now.

I did think when I first looked at it that the window needed to be bigger and better to capture that sun but how I don't know.

I think a bay window is nice but it needs to tie in with the style of house. You would need maybe one elsewhere too I think.

If you were going for a very modern look, which I suspect you might not be you could go for a quite boxy bay window with cushions, I don't know how to describe it.

If you want the function of opening onto the verandah go for that, I think it would be nice. We've got stackers onto the deck in our build and now they're in I think they are going to look great.

Bear in mind I'm so far from an expert just a punter building my own house.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Thanks for your comments, will think of what changes we can do. The living room is the main thing, trying to get that one right.
I think we might have to look at how the verandah is, seems a bit off with the bay/ window cutting across it. Yes I guess we are going for an older style, hubby is not into the modern look at all. So have to work with that!

We have amazing views to fit in as well, I am trying to get that as well as try and keep to passive solar but it is hard. We are waiting for a couple of quotes to come in, a bit of a waiting game.

Any advice is very helpful,
Cheers Lorri
Quote:
If you were going for a very modern look, which I suspect you might not be you could go for a quite boxy bay window with cushions, I don't know how to describe it.

I think you are describing a window seat. They suit older style homes but I've seen a few being built in modern homes that work very well.

Stewie
Yes you are right Stewie, I had a look and these look great.

Have a rethink of your kitchen layout. It appears to be nearly larger then your family room. I get that you may love cooking and want a big kitchen, but having a lot of floor area and lining all the wall with benches will mean you have to travel a long way when moving around. The shape of this space doesn't lend its self to a ideal kitchen. Longer thinner spaces do. You can still have a large kitchen and get two or three people working it without a huge floor area. A kitchen is more about the placement of cupboards,draws, sinks, work area, cookers, fridges and storage.

I have friends that took this same approach to a kitchen and have regretted it.

HACK architecture
Www.hackarchitecture.com.au
Hi David, I am not sure how to rearrange the kitchen, would you just cut the benches length down? Or take the end bit off?
Cheers
You could put a scullery/WIP at the back with a L shape kitchen and island with breakfast bar. Keep fridge where it is, maybe small bench next to it or oven stack.

Also, where do you plan to eat/have a dining table?

Hi going to have a small table and chairs in the living room , it really should say dining room on the plan,so the kitchen and dining in that area. trying to visualise what you mean re the kitchen, to tell the truth, most times we seem to sit in the lounge room and eat, dont think we will change that but you never know in the new house we might get some manners back lol, no kids at home to show our bad habits to.

Cheers
Lorri
Hi Lorri,
I'd suggest using a full carcass cavity sliding door for your WIR off Bedroom 1. We've included one in our recent build and it saves so much space in the actual WIR:-)
Frenchie
Hi Frenchie, that's a good idea, will add that to the plan.

Maybe something like this. If you were going to use the Living area as a dining area anyway, this plan would probably work better if the table was an island bench.

HACK architecture
Www.hackarchitecture.com.au
If you want bay window go for it! We are having one in main bedroom and when we first enquired the first chick didn't know what a bay window was and the second said oh they are a bit old fashioned now but hey we want it so we're getting it and at least we know our house won't look like every other house in the street. Toilet too close to family. House I am currently in is similar location and there is nothing worse (especially when we have visitors) being able to hear toilet when in use and just feels unhygienic to me. Maybe a hallway wall along back of family to separate would work. Island bench would be fantastic in your kitchen!

viewtopic.php?t=81011
I see what you mean with the kitchen, will play around with it. I am at a loss where to put the toilet out of the way, ideas guys please.

Waiting for quotes still, i was thinking of asking them about cost for having verandah full length on the front, depends on cost not sure how much that would be.

And a sliding /stacker door out from sunroom.
Lorri
I see what you mean with the kitchen, will play around with it. I am at a loss where to put the toilet out of the way, ideas guys please.

Waiting for quotes still, i was thinking of asking them about cost for having verandah full length on the front, depends on cost not sure how much that would be.

And a sliding /stacker door out from sunroom.

How big is that gap in the hall? Could you extend the linen a bit more so it was in the same spot but not line of sight or would the gap be too small then? I'd fiddle with that wall push the linen out and move that gap down.

viewtopic.php?t=78271
Related
23/04/2024
1980s house reno ideas

General Discussion

your new kitchen and living area looks great and we need accurate dimensions to be specific but with the thickness of the brick column you may be able to line the inside…

20/07/2023
Gable Extension Ideas and Question?

General Discussion

I would say both styles you have pictured are steel. The lower chord of the first pic would be a massive lump if made using timber considering the size of the rafters. If…

1/11/2023
Ideas for Privacy Wall?

General Discussion

Hi guys We have just removed a very large grape vine which was mounted to a structure along this wall. This is a shared wall with our neighbour, and after removal, we…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum