Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Eaves plaster board and cornice board got wet with heavyrain

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
Eaves and cornice boards got wet with heavy rains because of the Open roof tiles in our house.

Question, eaves are now soaking wet. We are a bit concerned about this. Obviously they will dry, but will the fact they have gotten wet cause any problems? We are also expecting more rain, so they will get even more wet and remain wet for a while until the rain clears up completely.

Thanks
Looking at the joins, it looks like just fibro, not plasterboard, so it should be fine.
bpratt
Looking at the joins, it looks like just fibro, not plasterboard, so it should be fine.

Hi bpratt,
Thanks. What about cornice ? Do you want me to escalate to builder?
Also this is not thicker than fibro.

Thanks
Mel sydney
bpratt

Hi bpratt,
Thanks. What about cornice ? Do you want me to escalate to builder?
Also this is not thicker than fibro.

I don't want you to do anything, you have to want to do it.

The cornice is something I'd be bringing up, whether it is plaster or styrofoam cornice, the paper covering it is possibly damaged.

I'd also bring up your other concerns about the fibro too, because it won't be just water getting through the open roof tiles, it'll be leaves and dirt that is building up above that fibro.... it should not happen, but being fibro it'll handle a fair bit okay.
The fibro eave linings will be ok. I would be asking that the cornice be replaced before installation as I would be concerned about mould being an issue. It is damaged as far as I am concerned, whatever product that got wet that is. If only some got wet then only some are damaged or defective.
Related
16/03/2024
Crooked wall or cornice?

Building A New House

The photo is not really clear but to me it looks like twist in the cornice. Slight anticlockwise rotation at the top of the cornice and slightly clockwise at bottom should…

22/12/2023
Clarendon Eaves and Guttering Issue

General Discussion

The two 15mm holes are obviously not compliant. The Dept of Fair Trading would love to see this one! Do the gutters pool water after it stops raining? Although it's…

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum