Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Build: House Layout - What Would You Change?

Page 1 of 1
hello all,

Was hoping to get some valuable insights for the layout/design of "our" house from people here.
We are building on a small block of land (367sqm) so we went with a double storey design so that we could still have some backyard space.

Anyways, here is our first floor plan:

i think i want to switch the pantry and kitchen location so that i can have like a window in the kitchen?

Here's our second floor plan:

i think i want to swap the main bathroom for bedroom 4 then combine the ensuite and walk in wardrobe so that there is more space in the masters bedroom as i think the room space is quite small...

Anything that has caught your eyes that we might need to change or suggestions om how to improve the layout?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post. xoxo

The robe to the master bedroom is rather small, and also for the other bedrooms. Not enough dimensions are visible, but I don't think the size of the master bedroom itself is too bad if you also have a larger robe. However, in balancing areas, the total master suite size is fairly small compared to the amount of living space in the house.

The problem is that there isn't really any room that you can take without making other things smaller. Swapping bed 4 and the bath won't free up a lot of space for the master, so I think its worth asking the question of whether you can drop a room out of the house. If you removed bed 4, you could use the space to enlarge the master and add a large robe plus some linen space to allow the robes of the other bedrooms to be larger. Then putting a door on the media room would allow it to be used either as a bedroom or as a living space. Of course if you actually want 4 bedrooms plus 3 living spaces, then this won't work, but in many cases people only want 4 bedrooms plus 2 living, or 3 bed plus 3 living.

I notice that there also isn't a lot of window to the back yard from the living space. You need to keep some wall space, but it's good to focus the windows on the desirable directions for sun and for view.

At 5.5m wide, the garage doesn't really have room for shelving up the sides as well as two cars, but then you don't have a lot of width in the block to work with either.
A few point for me are
Having the door to the en-suite opening into the bedroom rather than as shown will make it seem bigger.
Don't know how you are going to shut the door in the downstairs toilet as the door sweeps through were you will be standing.
I'm not a big fan of having patio doors in the laundry. (lose too much heat, after a few years the door tracks will get worn, poor security, and all so the side of the washing machine can face a window???)
My main concern would be at the main kitchen/living area will be very very dark. Only a couple of small winsows and the big windows next to a deep solid alfresco area. try to get some large winsows wi a suitable eave on the north face

Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum