Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Choose your favourite facade look!

Page 1 of 1
With some lovely help from Michelle & Dan from the forum I have narrowed our facade to two different looks.

Problem is my husband and I disagree on which one to go with!

I know its a personal decision but help us decide lol!

Dark Choice

Light Choice

3D image so you get an idea of the whole house

I like the dark, personally
+1 for the darker facade. If you want to lighten it a little you could go for a lighter coloured garage door? Surfmist or shale grey? What colour are your bricks? Blue Steel Flash?
Dark also
Dark for me
gandn
+1 for the darker facade. If you want to lighten it a little you could go for a lighter coloured garage door? Surfmist or shale grey? What colour are your bricks? Blue Steel Flash?

Yes bricks are Blue Steel Flash!
I prefer the lighter option, plus it's better for the environment ..heat and..stuff
I'd go with the light one, mainly because I don't like that much dark paint on a house. Initially I thought the light one didn't work together so well, but then I figured that the Blue Steel Flash brick would appear a deeper contrast against shale grey than in the picture, and would tonally reach closer to the roof colour. Adjusting for that, it seems to work ok to me:

I'd even consider lightening up the paint a bit for the vertical cladding, partly so the two materials feel a bit more different.

An issue with the dark scheme would be the treatment of the surfmist gutters/facias/barges. I don't like to make such a prominent feature of them to start with, but for this application you really need to be sure of the detailing. One area is along the raked edges of the roof, where there'd normally be a single piece of flashing going over the top of the roof sheets and down the edge. This would be surfmist, and so requiring the white around edge of the roof on the top surface as well. The thickness of the racked edges and gutter edges would also likely be different, rather than just the neat line in the illustration.
aloenyx
I prefer the lighter option, plus it's better for the environment ..heat and..stuff

Yes that was what our house designer said too!
oneJohn
I
An issue with the dark scheme would be the treatment of the surfmist gutters/facias/barges. I don't like to make such a prominent feature of them to start with, but for this application you really need to be sure of the detailing. One area is along the raked edges of the roof, where there'd normally be a single piece of flashing going over the top of the roof sheets and down the edge. This would be surfmist, and so requiring the white around edge of the roof on the top surface as well. The thickness of the racked edges and gutter edges would also likely be different, rather than just the neat line in the illustration.

Thanks oneJohn. These more practical things you mention (that I hadn't even thought of) are what I need to consider
And just to confuse it even more, here is another option #3 with ironstone colour (same as roof) above the garage...

I did think that one area where the dark colour comes up better is for that section above the garage to tie it in. However, on looking at it more, I do also have a picture in my mind of the light colour cladding matching the underside of the eaves, and I think that could work well from 3D viewpoints, and come up better than the dark.
The dark colours would tend to heat the east and west walls more in the sun, but perhaps the bigger issue is the longevity of the paint. The dark colour will need repainting more frequently from the heat stress, and will probably have much more evident fading as well. For an upper floor, that becomes a significant maintenance issue.
I like that last option best. The darker colour carries right across and the lighter elements seemed framed better.
Yep, the more I look and read comments, I'm leaning towards the lighter colour now. Particularly the last option.
Thanks for your opinions guys & girls

We have narrowed it down to the two lighter options. I have tried a colourbond shale grey sample pot and have found it quite light so I'm going to try double strength and see how I go!
lozza81
Thanks for your opinions guys & girls

We have narrowed it down to the two lighter options. I have tried a colourbond shale grey sample pot and have found it quite light so I'm going to try double strength and see how I go!

I like your option 3 blends quite nicely.

lozza81
And just to confuse it even more, here is another option #3 with ironstone colour (same as roof) above the garage...

Love this one!
Related
29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

1/03/2024
Polytec timber look galleries

General Discussion

Interested in getting either the Polytec Boston Oak or Palace Peak for kitchen cabinets. Looking at the Boston Oak ones, it appears that the colour varies significantly…

18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum