Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Those with balconies...

Page 1 of 1
What did you use instead of glass, I'd be interested to see photos as I think glass would be hard to keep clean!
Bump?
Maybe everyone used glass? I know I did. 10 weeks in and still looks ok with no cleaning. Doesn't get much traffic though.
Yeah we went with glass too. It isn't in yet tho so can't comment.
We get a lot of salt laden air where we live and decided not to get glass when we did our KDR. We wanted everything to be as low maintenance as possible and after years of cleaning salt spray off windows didn't want to add more glass to our cleaning routine. We have powder coated aluminium, dark colour, Colorbond Ironstone. We find it easy to see through and very easy to keep clean.

Most of our neighbours have glass and stainless steel. When there is a lot of salty wind theirs get very foggy and difficult to see through. They also get tea staining on stainless steel. So they are cleaning much more than we do. However, when clean, the glass looks spectacular where ours tends to make no statement at all.

We don't regret our decision but our neighbours have said they are prepared for extra work because they love the look. I'd base your decision on your location. If we did not have extreme conditions, we probably would have had glass.
I like the look of glass, but don't like the neighbours watching me when I'm walking around in my undies ... so we've got a balcony made of bricks, with a single rail on top taking it up to the legally required height.

You might achieve some privacy with airflow, with some steel or aluminium panes arranged parallel to each other but at an angle so you can't see through?
We've got brick + metal balustrade -- you can get different styles for all tastes. No way would I want to clean glass, especially the outer side.

This is an 'impression' ... the balustrade is inset in front and sides

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/MandyBarlow/Avalon/The-Avalon-front-facade_zpsvpxpcsey.jpg

Thanks all
Related
8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum