Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Gemmill Build - SOR

Page 1 of 1
After months of looking at build threads have decided to start our own. We have gone with Gemmill Homes - really like the quality of their finishes in the display homes and intend to finish our home to the same specifications.

Pad went down today but will start with house plan, elevation and block layout. The house is 292m2 of living area, 56m2 of garage and 37m2 of Alfresco. House is probably a little on big size but we do have 3 growing kids.

The design is based loosely off Gemmills Norfolk. We initially went the Galliano but didn't like the living room/dining room layout for that house. But still think the Galliano is a great house.

Norfolk

House Plan

Elevation

Block

Slab (Looking back to road)
Went around yesterday and the soak wells have been installed.

While I was there I noticed that the edges of the pad had been painted with a green paint which I assume is for water proofing. What is the correct way to water proof edge of pad? I understand in the Building Code the black plastic underlying the pad is meant to be folded up on the side and the internal bricks laid on this.

Also is water proofing really that much of a concern in well drained sandy soils like Perth?
Door and window frames have been delivered and brick work started yesterday. We have gone a 6 door stacker door and 28 course door frames throughout the house. I am blown away how big the stacker door is. Looking forward to the 28c door frames - have seen them in display homes and they do look impressive.
DoubleDeckerBus
Went around yesterday and the soak wells have been installed.

While I was there I noticed that the edges of the pad had been painted with a green paint which I assume is for water proofing. What is the correct way to water proof edge of pad? I understand in the Building Code the black plastic underlying the pad is meant to be folded up on the side and the internal bricks laid on this.

Also is water proofing really that much of a concern in well drained sandy soils like Perth?

Hi DoubleDeckerBus
Water poof coating, parging or Poly DPM are all acceptable methods
The perth sands/soils are well draining when not saturated
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum