Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom build Sydney. ICF, Hebel or brick?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
We are about to commence building a 2 storey home in Sydney not far from the coast, and need to decide on building materials. We are on a very sloped block with the access being a 4 metre rock face to the road at the bottom of the slope. So we are expecting high labour costs due to the fact that it is going to be difficult to get the materials up the rock face and then up the slope.
We are going to put a concrete slab down for the lower level, and a timber floor for the 2nd level just due to trying to keep building costs down.
The block faces west and the neighbours always complain about the front rooms of their brick houses heating up in summer when the sun goes down.
So what we would like is very good heat/cool insulation and good sound insulation.
From my brief research it looks like the options are
It seems to me that the advantage of polystyrene is that it is much better heat and sound insulation. But softer and more prone to dents then brick or hebel.
Anyone have any feedback on the material they used or idea's on something other then what I have suggested? We are at the point where we need to decide so the builder can quote on the job.
Greatly appreciate any feedback

Jon
Hi Jon,

We are looking to build as well and are going through a similar process.

What did you choose in the end?

Look forward to hearing from u.
gablesrocks
Hi Jon,

We are looking to build as well and are going through a similar process.

What did you choose in the end?

Look forward to hearing from u.

Hi just wondering if you found a good reasonable builder, we are looking for recommendations...regards
Related
26/01/2024
Precast Insulated Walls vs ICF

Building A New House

Good questions but the best answer will be obtained by visiting (ie: interviewing) a couple of house designers and/or builders and ask them. You may find it challenging to…

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

6/07/2023
Hebel Flooring PLUS Insulation or Not?

General Discussion

1000000% definitely add insulation. I have in my home and it makes a big difference minimising sound transfer. Insulation is pretty cheap and definitely worth it

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum