Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stolen Water Meter

Page 1 of 1
Hi all - have had my water meter stolen twice now which I have to pay for. I've talked to someone living in my estate who says they had theirs stolen after they moved in as well.

I've googled this issue to try and come up with a solution as to how to secure it, but there's nothing. If the problem is so prevalent, I can't understand why no-one has come up with a way to stop it.

Does anyone know of how I could secure the water meter so it's not stolen?

cheers and thanks!
http://metercage.com/
I found this. No idea on price or anything, just a google result.
Hi Daisy,

Why are you responsible for payment, is it not covered under builders insurance.. Mine was stolen at slab stage and I didn't pay for a 2nd 1..
I have also been advised by Yarra Valley Water in Melbourne of another device from company Select Solutions of a securing clamp with security screws that prevents access to the large nut that secures the meter to the pipework. The cost was about $15.
I am more concerned about what would you do with a stolen water meter? Where would you use it? Strange world we live in.

Though would have thought the meter would be owned by the water company and forms part of their contract to provide water to you.
i would wrap around meter with foam, like expansion joint foam then pour concrete around it a few inches thick leaving top exposed
more as a deterrent than anything else and could easily be broken off if you ever need to gain access
I believe the reason these and the taps are stolen is due to copper inside them?
I have just asked my water supplier- Yarra Valley Water in Melbourne to have the security shields placed on our 2 meters (One for recycle) when fitted for our water supplies.
AJW
I am more concerned about what would you do with a stolen water meter? Where would you use it? Strange world we live in.

Though would have thought the meter would be owned by the water company and forms part of their contract to provide water to you.

Allows you to steal water.

Your meter gets read on say June 30, you know the next reading isn't until the end of the next quarter. Pop the stolen meter on, use all you want and in 2\2.5 months swap it back to your original one and you will get billed for hardly any water use.
MeterBoxLock
We have a perfect solution for the security of your meters Meter Box Lock is providing the services for meter security.

Of zero use for water meters though
Related
21/02/2024
Meter box placed in Facade

Building A New House

Excellent contribution.

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

23/07/2023
Low head water tank

General Discussion

If you can calculate the reasonable charged head from let's say 100mm below the gutter to the top of where the vertical riser's horizontal discharge pipe will be, that…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum