Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom builders vs Project builders

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on custom builders vs project builders. Not sure if thats the right terminology. Is there a massive cost difference. Are the homes from a custom builder any more or less expensive? Is the quality different. Is the whole experience different.

Thanks.
We're going custom purely as our site doesn't suit project builders - it would not do justice, and we'd have to excavate for a slab and sit a good 2 metres below both of our neighbours (sloping block).

Instead we're going with a small custom builder who provides the designer, does the custom brief and the build. I'd prefer to do it this way rather than engaging an architect / designer and tendering out the build as at least this designer and builder work very closely together all the time, and know costings etc and what will blow out.

It will cost us most likely between 35% to 40% more for a medium to high spec (full timber floorboards, skillion roof with highlight windows, clerestory windows to one side, high spec insulation, double glazing and thermal sealing etc). As we're building on stumps it will also take longer for foundations than a slab, so more expense there. However, for a custom build which suits our block and that we're planning to live in for 10+ years, it's worth it.

You do have to be careful though that you don't overcapitalise on your land. Good luck with your choice.

I'll let you know if we're happy in 18 months time
I found a custom builder that could build a home tailored to my small block. They also built the home much faster than the bigger project home builders would have.

Luck of the draw as to whether you will find one that will build the house for less. In my circumstance though I think I saved about 10-15% on what an equivalent home would have cost with a project home builder. Quality was quite good too and they were quite flexible to work with. See my build thread for the end result.
If I built again I'd defiantly do custom. project builders are too cookie cutter and I'm a Project Manager so naturally want to be more involved.

We used a small builder that had some designs ready but also did custom designs and apartment developments. Our house has been modified to our block, I have a god friend that builds one-off homes and he said $25k upfront for your documents then about 30-40% more to build. Knowing our budget he suggested to find a builder we like, adjust their closest plan to suit a and spec up the inside. Our block was flat but narrows.
In the end I'm happy - I think we got the best of both worlds.

We have a 570 corner block where the long side of the block is where street address is and i havent yet seen any plans from project builders that work with this. I guess i need to weigh up mods to a plan to change entry to the house. Or start from scratch with a custom.
Project homes can be built (depending on the level of finish and design of course ) from $1300-1500 per sq m for the house only excluding site works etc whereas a custom build using a one - off design and small builder will start at $2200 -2500 per sq m and frequently go well north of that. You just have to weigh up how much you can afford as opposed to how much you really want that particular custom design.

Stewie
Where are you looking to build, Anne? We've had one one quote from a custom builder (he builds 1 to 5 homes per year) and it sits around $1200 per sqm. This is based on specs that include 2720 ceilings, higher and lower ceilings in certain areas, high grade insulation, double glazed windows, stone bench tops in kitchen and both bathrooms, 2pac finish to joinery, decorative cornice and so on. Also includes site costs. We're in SA.

We are building in north brisbane. We have decided to go with 2 storey aswell. So not sure how that affects the per sq metre cost. Obviously the house itself is more expensive because theres more of it.
Peacock
Where are you looking to build, Anne? We've had one one quote from a custom builder (he builds 1 to 5 homes per year) and it sits around $1200 per sqm. This is based on specs that include 2720 ceilings, higher and lower ceilings in certain areas, high grade insulation, double glazed windows, stone bench tops in kitchen and both bathrooms, 2pac finish to joinery, decorative cornice and so on. Also includes site costs. We're in SA.

Can you share which builder this is?
Stewie D
Project homes can be built (depending on the level of finish and design of course ) from $1300-1500 per sq m for the house only excluding site works etc whereas a custom build using a one - off design and small builder will start at $2200 -2500 per sq m and frequently go well north of that. You just have to weigh up how much you can afford as opposed to how much you really want that particular custom design.

Stewie

What state are you basing these figures on?
NSW predominantly Sydney. Regional prices are generally cheaper as it is for any state. I've seen recent figures quoted in the past where some PH builders can get the price down to around $1000 per sq m but these are very basic, single storey homes.
Custom drawn and built homes can end up being much more expensive on a per sqm basis but as I said earlier this depends on your particular site, ease of access, complexity of the design and the level of finish and fittings you are after.
I tell all my clients - which are nearly all renos and additions, to allow for around $2500 per sq m as a starting point ( without including window furnishings or floor coverings ) and if they add up all the sq m of their job, they should be in the ballpark cost wise.
Final costs in some cases are sometimes north of that as well.

Stewie
The prices quotes by Stewie are consistent with Perth, my friend that builds one off designs quotes $2,300/sqm as a starting point.

Consider CMA Homes. They are in North Lakes. We choose Clarendon over them but I would likely go to CMA next time. Build time with project builders is ridiculous for what they do and their rules are insane.

Will add that the cost per sq metre is about $1,000-1,200 but not include extra site work, drive and landscaping. Also depends on your choice of finishes you can easily double it.
Will look into CMA, thanks. Its amazing how many builders that are out there that dont come up in a google search. Which is why this forum is so good. Being interstate at the moment makes it hard to find builders etc. Moving at the end of the month, so I cant wait to get up there and start looking properly. We will have about 6months before we can begin building, so plenty of time. Alot of the project builders have plans that we love, but would make some changes and they are either way too expensive to change or they wont change anything at all. I think thats why we would lean towards custom if the price isnt ridiculously higher.
Someone else to try is Hotondo Homes. I'm pretty sure they are up your way as well. They have quite a large database of plans that they can build from or they will simply build from your own custom designed plan. They seem to be able to keep their costs pretty low too more in keeping with PH prices even though your design may be a one-off. A few people I know have built with them and were pretty happy with the price and quality.

Stewie
In some ways custom builders can be cheaper. This can easily be the case when the custom builder designs and builds the home to suit the site rather than just providing a standard house that doesn't quite do the job. It is not a lot of help to say it all depends, but?
Related
22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum