Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Slow progress with build - is this normal?

Page 1 of 1
Tomorrow will be 3 months since our slab was poured and we are only at plate height with the bricks and work on the roof has not started yet.
We were told by the sales agent 26 weeks until we get the keys, by the time we went into construction this was changed to 28-30 weeks.
The progress to date seems way too slow. Can anyone let me know of this is normal or slow (a have a more detailed timeline on me thread).

Thanks!

Smart Homes for Living build in Piara Waters:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77196
We are 4 months since slab was poured and only half way done with bricks. We've had no tradies on site since 13 March!! All due to poor weather.
At lockup we were told about 10 - 12 weeks until PC, and so far that seems about right. Our lockup included all internal White set, cornice and external plaster done. White set needs about 6 weeks before it is painted.

DG85 that is terrible! At least you have the weather as an excuse - I'm sure they'll be eager to catch up when it clears up!
Denten, we were told 6-8 weeks from lock-up but we're still far away from that point. Based on current performance I don't trust the 6-8 weeks either...
Its always hard to tell. Weather can play a part - and other issues.

However - 3 months from slab - I'd have expected to be almost in.

We had Christmas between slab and work - so there was a real issue. Walls and bricks seem to go up much faster than inside.

What do they tell you ? Why is it taking this time ? What does your contract say ? Is there a clause that favours you ?
Yep, we are also in WA - but building a double storey, it will be 12 months from slab down by the time we get to PC. That time seems about average for double storey.

Tiling was going great, until I told them floor tiles were wrong (all were laid) they are now getting ripped up. Best part about this forum is usually you can find that your situation is not that unusual.

Freelife homes just went into administration, taking 200 WA customers with them, my tiling issue is a mere blip.

I would check your contract and ask them for their plan to meet the 28 weeks - keep them accountable. Good luck!

Thanks Saint Mike & Denton - the contract basically gives them up to a year to finish - it's very one sided. At the brick meeting the supervisor mentioned that they have this time according to the contract which already triggered some alarm bells. I would have preferred to hear how they were planning to stick to the promised 28-30 weeks...

Sounds like a bit of marketing scam, builders know that they can build in 28 weeks if everything goes perfectly but generally it takes longer.
If they sell it, why not include it in the contract?? As you say one sided and all in their favour

It's in the builders best interest to finish as soon as practical. Most contracts are covered by "damages " clauses to protect from this. Other delays could also be the time it takes for your finance institution to pay progress payments.
Related
26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum