Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Edison 2800 (Not going ahead with this build)

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, thanks for your input
Hi, does anybody have any input? Anything at all?
Hi Daniel,

My partner and I are looking at building that design but in the 27.
Our land i s 14 x 30, I thought you needed 14 x 32 for the 28sq? Really love this design, perfect for a first house

Excited to get updates from you since we will have a similar house!
Hi i just saw this post, were also building the Edison 27 in Kalkallo. our land isn't titled till January 2016.were really excited to build, just abit worried with the review people have about burbank... i hope it goes well..soo far our experience have been good. have you started building yet?
We are building with Burbank. Doing a customised build on the Capri 2200 and have our colour appointment next week. Burbank have been absolutely fantastic so far and as ours is a custom build we didn't go with them for the layout of a certain plan but because they were so flexible in making changes so the house would fit our awkward block, no other builder could match them.
Hi Lindeli, Burbank was very helpful with us too, we made a few changes on our floor plan with the Edison. let us know how the colour appointment goes? we haven't been to the Edge? were hoping there a huge selections of things we can choose. Are you going to create a thread for your build?
I started a thread last week, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=79798&hilit=aspect

Anyone can go to edge for a look on weekends, as the appointments are only on weekdays. We did that a couple of months ago, which is a good idea to see the products available before your appointment. Yes will let you know how the appointment goes.
fnt0603
Hi Lindeli, Burbank was very helpful with us too, we made a few changes on our floor plan with the Edison. let us know how the colour appointment goes? we haven't been to the Edge? were hoping there a huge selections of things we can choose. Are you going to create a thread for your build?

We are thinking of making some changes too. Do you mind me asking what you are looking at doing?

I'd love to see someone's build with one of the elements collection homes but I haven't seen any threads on here yet. Though I might have just missed them.
Hi Holly, were building the Edison 2700 which is in the element range. we made a few changes actually since we didst like the original floor plan. the changes were, we moved bedroom 2 to the front where the lounge was originally, since we thought the lounge was not wide enough to be a lounge and by doing so, we managed to create a butler pantry instead where bedroom 2 was originally. Other changes were, the walk way hall on the entry in the Edison was narrowing to the left when you walked in to the house, we managed to flush the walls so that the walkway when walking in the house is straight and flush. This was only possible by moving bedroom 2 as it allowed us to moved the kitchen further back on to where bedroom 2 was. We also increased the study room wall to align with the garage wall to make it bigger and this will be our new lounge room. We also removed the wall on the side of the island bench leading to the bedrooms as we wanted the island bench to be floating. We also enclosed the en-suite toilet rather having it open for privacy. Other then that we kept the same. What house are you planning to build? and what changes did you make? there a new display opening at Greenvale on the Edison 2800. We went on the weekend and had a look. Its very similar to our design, so were really happy with the changes we made so far.
These are pretty much the changes I looked at however I wasn't going to move the lounge. Just delete bedroom 2 and see if I could increase laundry etc. How did Burbank go with changing these? Were there costs involved? We are planning to build the Edison 2700. I did want to try and make the kitchen storage bigger but have been debating deleting a bedroom. I will put a door to the front lounge so that could always turn into a bedroom if need be. I can't quite visualise how it will work, I have tried to draw it out for myself but I can't seem to. Weere Burbank much help with this? Or did you go to them with drawings?
Ours is a custom build of the Capri, we changed so many things but kept the drawings loosely based on the Capri as we had to totally flip the house to a ranch style. Hubby drew up a plan and it was then given to Burbank to see if it was doable or not. You do have to pay a bit more for them to draw up the plans as there is a bit more work involved in a custom build but even once that was done we decided on a few more changes.
we didn't had any issues with making changes with the floor plan. Burbank was quite happy for us to make the changes upon request. The changes will be done with your sales consultant and once your happy with it, he will sent it through to the drafter to make those changes. Just make sure your happy with the changes and don't keep changing it as it takes around 4 weeks for the drafter to complete the work as they are busy with other home orders. Our floor plan had to be changed 3 times as it was not done correctly and we added few changes each time along the way. Our sales consultant said if we keep making more changes, Burbank would ask for another $1500 deposit as a security just in case you decided not to build with them, but that deposit comes off the building deposit upon signing the building contract so it not really a fee. With our changes from what i could remember it only cost us extra 5k. Majority of that amount came from the butler pantry as new kitchen bench and shelf had to be installed as it wasn't part of the Edison 2700. Hope this helps. Have you got a date when Burbank going to start building your home? if your land isn't titled for awhile, just don't sign any building contract as it will give you some flexibility if you want to make changes or have any questions later on. Our land originally was suppose to be titled in November 2015 but there been a delay and now wont be titled till march 2016 and we told our sale consultant we wont sign anything until closer to the date and he was happy with that.
Hi Holly if your concern is to have a bigger laundry and you can't visualize the change, I would suggest you visit the new display home at Greenvale if you have the time. They just built the Edison 2800. Burbank made a few changes on the floor plan but its not available to be viewed on the website. The laundry space at the display home is now twice the size and they also managed to built a butler pantry too. In my opinion, it the best Edison design I've seen so far out of the 3 that on display currently.
5k? That's not much if you think about it. So there wasn't a specific fee for the drafting itself, just the costs of the extra materials and labor?
Our land won't title until next year we have a fair wait ahead of us. I need to get my bum down to the edge studio to see what comes standard with the house but I just haven't had the time, recently picking up weekend work too. It would be nice with all this technology if they would put it online for people to view as well before they get down there. I'm going to have to get to that display!!! Sounds amazing. Will you be starting a thread for your build?
I just look at our variation home order today, it was actually 3k? that just extra materials and labour for the changes, so no additional fee for the drafting. I went down to the edge studio on the weekend as we were already in the city, but we were unable to get in. I'm not sure, whether you need to book an appointment first or sign the house contract in order for you to visit the place. I'm going to see my sales consultant this week and finalize the changes and paper work, so I'll ask him about it. Our land isn't titled till march 2016 now due to some council issues, but I will definitely be starting a thread with my progress. May I ask, where about are you building? were building in up north in Kalkallo.
Oh that's great! My only concern with making changes is resale value by removing an extra room to extend others, will I be ruining potential resale value down the track. We are building in Mernda. I'm also concerned about the final price as the original house we looked at was part of the gen collection and therefore much cheaper. I would love to know what the standard tapwear and things are for this collection. I haven't had a chance to get to edge, plus it's 2015 we should be able to find it on their website at our convenience.
if your buying the house for investment property, try to keep all the room. By decreasing it to larger other room will definitely decrease the value of the house and also when you apply for your loan the bank will valuate your house a lot lower. Try to keep all the room as possible, it will help in the resale value. In regards to the inclusion in the gen collections, everything is pretty much basic, as it reflects on the price of the house. when you move up the collections, it cost more but it comes with better inclusion, so you get what you pay for. Currently burbank has the feel free promotion, when we sign with Burbank we had the free shopping list. It the same as the feel free promotion which they currently have on offer. Burbank gives you up to 18k of free upgrade to use at the edge then for extra 5k to get to 24.5k of free value. If you haven't got this promotion n haven't sign any house contract ask your sales consultant if you could have this promotion instead as it will help with the cost of upgrades at the edge.
Hey Daniel,

We're actually nearing the end of our build with Burbank - luckily got in with the land a little early so ours titled early this year.

It took a while to get the build going after that as we didn't commence the build until June when earth works and slab were done. Though that wasn't Burbank's fault, it was ours - we couldn't decide if we wanted the grand Alfresco or not!

My only issue with Burbank to date has been the lack of communication and follow through with the site supervisor/s (we're on to our 3rd or 4th SS now and it's getting a little old haha).

Find out who your supervisor is as early as you can, and maintain direct contact with them for accurate updates on your build - any issues, go directly to them and then follow up with an e-mail (so that it's in writing) to your client relations officer.

The reason for maintaining direct contact with your supervisor is that they tend to update head office on their current builds once a week - whereas if you're on good terms with them they can generally provide you with updates much quicker with more detail.

The biggest issues we had were a. our second supervisor was planning on resigning so he didn't put any effort into our build (or anyone's that he was managing for that matter) and a lot of the original proposed timelines lapsed with little/no actual work being completed. After he resigned though we got a new supervisor who's been with Burbank for a longer time and really knows his stuff - he's got us back on track and fingers crossed to move in well before Christmas this year. The other issue was that the supplier for plumbing fixtures (tapware, toilet roll holders, shower heads, towel rails) had issues so we had to re-select everything from a new supplier. I'd say always ask for checks that all of your stuff is still in stock when it comes to your basins, sink, tap ware, toilet and other plumbing related fixtures. You're not likely to have this sort of issue with your building materials such as bricks, roof tiles etc.. If we didn't ask, they wouldn't have checked until it was time to order the items and at that point, it would have caused us major delays while we waited on everything to be reordered and then arrive (then of course waiting for a tradie to become available to fit everything etc...).

The best advice I can give you mate, just stay on 'em and stay friendly. They are helpful when you approach them and they do try their best to keep the customers happy.

Good luck mate,
Mo
fnt0603
if your buying the house for investment property, try to keep all the room. By decreasing it to larger other room will definitely decrease the value of the house and also when you apply for your loan the bank will valuate your house a lot lower. Try to keep all the room as possible, it will help in the resale value. In regards to the inclusion in the gen collections, everything is pretty much basic, as it reflects on the price of the house. when you move up the collections, it cost more but it comes with better inclusion, so you get what you pay for. Currently burbank has the feel free promotion, when we sign with Burbank we had the free shopping list. It the same as the feel free promotion which they currently have on offer. Burbank gives you up to 18k of free upgrade to use at the edge then for extra 5k to get to 24.5k of free value. If you haven't got this promotion n haven't sign any house contract ask your sales consultant if you could have this promotion instead as it will help with the cost of upgrades at the edge.

You raise some great points. Will definitely think about this. Will you be starting a thread for your build?
So great to read a Burbank review!
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum