Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Crossover relocation cost - Melb West

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,

does anyone here know how much it would cost to get a driveway crossover relocated? I'm building my house on the western suburbs here in Melbourne.

Cheers
it would cost around $1k for a new one. But you will most likley need to remove the old one and that will cost further $$$
Thanks for your reply B Star. Would you know any builder for this kind of job in the area?!
Hi Ipsuerj,

You need to contact the council for a permit to relocate your crossover. If you are in the Wyndham council area you'll find the information and the application form on their website:

http://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/building_ ... crossovers

A concreter can do the work but the council needs their details and will inspect the work before they pour the concrete.
I'm in northern subs and I got a quote to move the crossover from one side to the other.
A double crossover was around $6500, single around $4500. This included ripping up the old one and excavation etc. This was in April last yr.

If you can get a crossover done for $1K jump on it. That's impossible.
Hi Crazyk

Are you including the driveway cost as well as the crossover? I think B STAR is just quoting for the crossover. We had ours relocated in 2012 and paid about $1,000 for the crossover itself. I posted the following on another thread in 2012:

We did our crossover in the Melbourne western suburbs a couple of months ago. We also did our driveway at the same time but, from what I can work out on the invoice, for a single crossover (excluding the driveway) we paid $950 plus $180 cutting fees for the old crossover, $70 tipping fees and $350 bobcat hire plus 10% GST. We also had to pay the council to remove two trees though and that cost us $965.45 and, at one stage, it looked as if we were going to have to pay to upgrade the stormwater pit to a heavy duty Class D lid, but we managed to avoid this by angling the driveway a bit to stay 1 metre from it. And the permit cost us $155.
FYI I did my own crossover and it cost less the 500. Orgainise my own permit. Dug it out when I had the bob cat doing a site clean and poured the slab at the same time as the water tank slab.

But I had dad to help.
No I had a 3 guys come out to give me a quote.

Note my crossover is 4.4m wide x 3m.

The price was for them to do everything including permit.

You're lucky B Star. A lot of councils in Sydney ( like ours and others in the area ) will only let an approved concreter do the work. They have a list up on their website. Definitely not OB or DIY.

Stewie
Stewie D
You're lucky B Star. A lot of councils in Sydney ( like ours and others in the area ) will only let an approved concreter do the work. They have a list up on their website. Definitely not OB or DIY.

Stewie

its normally the same here. But I had indemnity insurance while building. Concretors in Melbourne arent always that good.

If they allowed allowed a list of concretors here no one would use them and instead they will be done without permits.
Actually the only time I would feel confident using a concreter in Melbourne is when doing a crossover as the Council come to inspect before the pour! Shame they don't do the same for all other residential concreting projects. It would save most of us a heap of money ripping up badly done concreting work.
Liliana
Actually the only time I would feel confident using a concreter in Melbourne is when doing a crossover as the Council come to inspect before the pour! Shame they don't do the same for all other residential concreting projects. It would save most of us a heap of money ripping up badly done concreting work.

Lol too right.

Liliana
Hi Crazyk

Are you including the driveway cost as well as the crossover? I think B STAR is just quoting for the crossover. We had ours relocated in 2012 and paid about $1,000 for the crossover itself. I posted the following on another thread in 2012:

We did our crossover in the Melbourne western suburbs a couple of months ago. We also did our driveway at the same time but, from what I can work out on the invoice, for a single crossover (excluding the driveway) we paid $950 plus $180 cutting fees for the old crossover, $70 tipping fees and $350 bobcat hire plus 10% GST. We also had to pay the council to remove two trees though and that cost us $965.45 and, at one stage, it looked as if we were going to have to pay to upgrade the stormwater pit to a heavy duty Class D lid, but we managed to avoid this by angling the driveway a bit to stay 1 metre from it. And the permit cost us $155.

Hi Liliana , thanks for your response. Has this job been done in Melbourne? Do you still have their contact details? I'm trying to organize some quotes and that'd be helpful.
In my case it'll be just the crossover as Simonds will be doing the driveway as part of their contract.
Hi Ipsuerj,

Yes the job was done in the western suburbs of Melbourne, in Wyndham Vale to be exact. I'm afraid I'm not happy to pass on the concreters' contact details because they did a very poor concreting job when we got them back to do our perimeter paths - work that has since had to be demolished, most of it at our cost. And after having to cart 14 concrete paving slabs each weighing 96kg to the tip on a 40 degree day I'm certainly not throwing any work their way.

What I would suggest is that you pick out about 6 concreters from the Yellow Pages and ask them if they do crossovers and whether they are already registered with your local council. If they do crossovers get them out to do a written quote. Half of them probably won't show up anyway. The council will check the work before the pour so you can rest easy on the quality - as I said above, the only time you don't have to worry about the competence of your concreters. Good luck.
You could also ring your local council and ask to see if they have any approved sub contractors that will do the job. If they do, the process should be fairly swift and straightforward.
Wyndham Council won't recommend any concreters; I don't know about other councils. I tried asking them myself when we needed a concreter but they told me to look at the Classifieds in the local paper.
Talk direct with the supervisor that comes to check the REO. He will know. The office are useless to say the least.
Thanks for all the responses guys... I've just got some quotes from local concreters' and the prices ranges from $1800 to $2200. So let's see how many of them will be writing the quotes down to make it official.

Not sure whether I could start the relocation work before the PCI/handover or not... I guess it's not worth it to do anything before house construction is done and dusted to avoid any finger pointing in case something get damaged.
ask to break down the cost. It will be interesting as to how they cost it up.
Related
15/06/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Update time: In my last post I had everything programmed to the minute for June a 13 handover....well that didn't happen as you can see from the photos below. We seemed…

6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum