Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Lorri's One day House in Cradoc Tasmania-- update. 5/6/17

Page 1 of 5
Hi all, I can't help it but I am starting my house build thread even though we won't be building for at least
a 18 months or more until we come back from the UK.

You might have read other posts from me over the last few months from when we bought our 5 acres in Cradoc
it's on a hillside with a west facing view, so the plan is to build a passive solar house, most likely off a volume builder but we have a while to go before we have to decide. I want to get a few prices from small builders that are local to the land.

Cheers Lorri
[url=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Lorraine_Newman/media/woodland2_zps07a052e1.jpg.html:3e1v4lql][img:3e1v4lql]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r761/Lorraine_Newman/woodland2_zps07a052e1.jpg[/img:3e1v4lql][/url:3e1v4lql]

[url=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Lorraine_Newman/media/20140317_131307_zpseb3621da.jpg.html:3e1v4lql][img:3e1v4lql]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r761/Lorraine_Newman/20140317_131307_zpseb3621da.jpg[/img:3e1v4lql][/url:3e1v4lql]
[url=http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Lorraine_Newman/media/landconthouse_zpse67ca71b.jpg.html:3e1v4lql][img:3e1v4lql]http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r761/Lorraine_Newman/landconthouse_zpse67ca71b.jpg[/img:3e1v4lql][/url:3e1v4lql]
What do you mean by 'one day house' - as in, one day - in the future? Look forward to seeing how you design a passive design for a relatively cool climate..I presume your views are to the West judging by the fall in your land (if north is up).

Edit - yep, just re-read your post.
Yes one day in the future, no date set as we have to travel for a bit first but will build there as soon as we get back.
So will be trying to get the best design I can for the money we have to spend.
Seems crazy to build a house that doesn't follow the solar passive principles.not that I know much about it ,been reading up on it all though. Yes the front of the block faces west and of course the view of the river is there
but we have room to build the house facing the north.
Hi Lorri, never been to Tassie but a cuz has bought a house in Cygnet. I think that might be somewhere near you?

Following your thread
Yes Tree, Cygnet is about 5 mins from us, and about the same the other way to Huonville, it's a beautiful area. The Huon river runs across the other side of the road, so no one can build in front of us at all ever.
The road the land on is called Cygnet Coast Road .

So looking forward to build and live there, but can't do it just yet so the plan is to work it all out ready to go as soon as we hit the ground there lol.

I want to build that gazebo on the top of the hill Trees, views to the river at the front and mountains to the back, we are going over for a couple of weeks in march so will get more photos then.

Cheers
That will be simply stunning!!
Yes and a great big daybed to fit in it as well, and I would get no housework done ever (except in winter)
Southern Tasmania, climate zone 6
The Huon river just across the road, land on the side of a hill. Mainly bush rectangular block upslope, front facing the west and river, north side is the long side we will have house living areas facing.

Just some ramblings on things, like I love the LED lighting that is around the ceiling tops and thinking about how to do that.

Going to have pelmets to keep the heat in and was looking at those blockout blinds that have tracks down the sides as well.

Planing to have the house wired for sound, no theater room but we want music everywhere so got to work out a plan for that, some people have said Sonos system is great but we will be looking at a few options as we have to keep the costs down.

Double glazing, the builder just has standard , no thermally broken or anything fancy, so is it worth the extra $$$$ to try and get this?
I love this backlit stone sink, bet its out of our budget.

Same with this house, wish we could have it but.....

Birds eye view! Then looking down the access road.

What roof, tiles or colourbond, What colour roof, light or dark, lived up in QLD so not sure what is best for the climate down in Tassie where you try to keep warm not cool.
So many things to work out, but we do have a lot of time to plan it all out, lots of idea on this website and on the net.
Cheers Lorri
A dark roof for Tassie, I would say. But take a look at the forum topic below, it's really useful, lots of tips.
PS your views are to die for!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55057&hilit=cool+in+summer

PS the house you've posted is built by our builder... similar layout to our plan, but we have a big bay window instead of the "point" (like the prow of a ship) and our house is also a lot smaller overall...
It looks like a fantastic location Lorri! I love the natural bush, and you will have beautiful views. Our block has views to the north, so we will have big north facing windows (just double glazed) to catch the sun. We have decided on a dark/medium colourbond roof (the colour is called Basalt). We aren't going with solar power at this stage, but are looking into solar hot water. I bet you will be excited to get back from your trip to start planning further - exciting times ahead!
P.S. My fella is an IT admin and into gadgets. We have a Sonos (I think it's a Play One) and a bridge. It's packed away at the moment, but it works really well. We are planning the same thing - music in several rooms. I'll be following your journey for sure.
Hi Ameroo, I can't wait to build, we are going over in march and will visit a couple of builders, I would rather a smaller builder than the big boys but there's not a lot out there for the money we have so to weigh up the options. Wilsons is the cheapest and biggest but will be asking some smaller ones what they can do.
Still looking at the options for sound, might pick people brains a bit more as we have plenty of time still.
We have to get the elec run down the road to us so we will have solar, but mains as well. No town water or sewerage.

Trees, I have read the cool/warm thread and will be rereading it a few more time lol, I thought a dark roof might be the go, don't know if it will be tiles or colourbond.
I asked a builder if he did rbv and well you would have thought I asked for something horrible!
Yes I thought it was the same builder as yours but in the end we decided not to build over WA and just do Tassie instead, wish they build down there lol
Hi I was thinking I would love some stained glass where the sun could shine though and then found some on Alibaba website, I wonder if it would be worth the risk to import them, anyone used them Alibaba?
Hi all, we are waiting for the builder to write up a tender for us, we had a BAL rating of Bal29 and just waiting on soil test and contour survey to come in. Is it normal to choose inclusions and colours etc at this stage?
We may as well go ahead and pick things we want and see what cost comes in.
Thinking about have Ironstone colourbond roof and gutters with a lighter colour for fascia board eaves, what do you think?
Is there someone in Tassie who does stained glass? Might be worth checking out...
Will have a look at stained glass in Tassie, there is a lady that does it not far from where we have the land.

We are still looking at inclusions that the builder has, not real impressed with the choice of 3 wall tiles that is, white, white with a ripple or plain almond. Will be talking to them about other tiles around the same price.
And we haven't even got to floor coverings yet!
They offer Primetex loose laid vinyl for areas not carpeted, I think it's just sheet lino, nothing fancy.

For some reason I thought that there would be a lot more choice. She sent me links for the websites of the suppliers and they don't even have the tiles on there, same deal for the carpet.
Choosing things from the other side of the world is not easy, and if we don't get it right we are stuck with them.
You live and learn!
The good thing about the Primetex range is that it's quite thick and insulating, not like the old fashioned sheet vinyl, and when you can afford it down the track, easy to replace since it doesn't have to be stuck down. They usually only tape the joins. I've laid it in a previous house for two bedroom floors near the beach- I didn't want sand ruining a carpet or scratching my floorboards (and my surfer sons track in sand like crazy.) Also the colour range was good so it should be even more realistic looking now.

I like the Ironstone! I don't think it will date like some of the other colours. Have you had a play on the colorbond visualizer? We did contrasting gutters for my house, which also worked out nicely. It was a subtle contrast but I've also seen people do a big contrast and overall it looks good too. What paint colors/render/brick are you going with?
Hi I think the Primetex will be ok, just choosing the colour will be hard as we only can look on the iPad, I am going to see if they sell it over here and go to the shop if they do. Did you get the 2.5 mm thick one Trees?

I like the ironstone too, so roof and gutter in it, do you think surf mist will go with it for the fascia boards? Do most people paint their eaves white? Would paperbark match in, hubbys choice.
It is really hard to pick any colours when you can't see them in person so some will look wrong I am sure when they are done.

Bricks are Austral Homestead Centennial blend, no render .

We have the joy of picking room colours next, but at least it is Dulux paint. So I can go get colour charts from out local Bunnings equivalent.

[img]http:/

This is the updated plan, we still have a couple of things I want to change, we took the slight kink out of it. The en suite shower is wrong it's supposed to be a big walk in shower.

The boiler room is too small, and the layout of it and the laundry seems a bit off, not sure how to do it.

I was trying to convince hubby that we need stacker or sliding doors and bigger Windows on the front but he says no, think he is wrong!
Love the layout and all the bay windows! Looking forward to following your build.

My 2016 build viewtopic.php?t=81011
We have the soil test back,
Soil report - indicating M Type soil with P Type where fill exceeds .5m

M - Moderately reactive clay or silt sites which can experience moderate ground movement from moisture changes
P - Sites which include soft soils, such as soft clay or silt loose sands; landslip; mine subsidence; collapsing soils; soils subject to erosion; reactive sites subject to abnormal moisture conditions or sites which cannot be classified otherwise.

So not a H but not sure about costs for a P, they have place the house slightly wrong on the site plan , the are going to move it. Where they have it leaves only 6 and a bit meters to the boundry which would change the Bal level 29 to god knows what so the price would go up too much as it would be Bal40 or flame zone!

Besides the house has to face the north more, to be right, and we want more room between us and next doors land.
Related
11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

10/09/2023
rain day calculation

Building A New House

Yes you are correct, unless there are outside works which form part of the contract such as landscaping or driveways, and importantly, the work delayed is on the critical…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum