Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

garage ceiling height

Page 1 of 1
Advice needed. Our garage is located at the back, with entrance from the side of the house. Currently, we don't own a 4WD but we decided to raise the garage ceiling to 27c for the resale value. Let me explain why it is 27c not 28c. To increase to 27c, we were told that the room attached next to it has to be 3c higher so the option we are given is to have the entire house with 30c ceiling, 27c for the garage and alfresco. Another option is to have 28c for the bedrooms and 31c for the living area, which will be our preferred option to save $2k+ BUT the garage will be 25c. We bite the bullet and went with the first option thinking of the resale value. However, recent drama with the council has cost us another $6k for the variation. We haven't even done the prestart and any other interior varation! So we are thinking to cut the cost and choose the 25c garage option.

Why does the garage have to be 3c less than the room next to it? Roof line problem? Ideally, we would like to have 28c in bedrooms, 30c or 31c in living area and 27c or 28c for garage. I

Thanks
Hi Sofia we have our garage against our laundry and study walls they are both at 'normal' height and the garage is 31c, the brick work for the walls were the same as the garage they just lowered the ceiling in these rooms. Hope that makes sense?
sofia14
Why does the garage have to be 3c less than the room next to it? Roof line problem?

The standard eave width&roof pitch will mean the ceiling height is 3c higher than the eave height..this is a very efficient way to build so most builders like doing this. Do you have a floor plan of the area - I would suggest it has something to do with a step in the wall equal to your eave width, which they will use as a raked spandrel to drop the ceiling height by 3c.
I asked the builder again. It has something to do with the roof line. I still don't pretend to understand all these. Your explanation sounds reasonable but still can't get my head around why other houses seem to be able to do high ceiling garage and normal house ceiling. I can send you a plan if you can help me figure out what the builder says is true.

My question is if 25c garage is enough for a SUV without rack. As I said, this is for resale value only. No plan to buy one.
will depend more on the door height than the ceiling height. 25c ceiling is 2.14m. But if they are putting a 300mm pelmet across the top - you will only get 1.84m. Landcruiser = 1.88m high
Don't forget to increase the garage door height too. No point having 3m ceilings and a 2.1m opening. The panel door will open quite low in the room and the retractor unit will look stupid hanging down 1 m from the ceiling.

I got 28c garage and 28c room next to garage. after that I got 31c living area.
Wow...1.88m for the landcruiser. So for 27c ceiling....currently if measure the distance from the pelmet to the top of the grano, it is 2.1m. That is 0.22m to spare at the entrance! I wonder if the whole retractor unit will cause any trouble in the case.

CC101: ya, i think it is doable. That's why I don't quite understand. Other than the roof pitch and eaves thingy which tristanium has explained. I have a hard time imagine a 25c garage ceiling given that my partner can reach the 28c ceiling by stretching his arm. It must be super low. I will be taking out my measuring tape tomorrow.
The garage door height is something people miss, just remember the door retractor will be a little bit higher than the door opening but not much. Also if you have a rear roller door, upgrade that too.

Do you have a step down into the garage?

Related
8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum