Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Mcdonald Jones Homes Seaside Retreat & chesterfield kitchens

Page 1 of 1
My wife and quite interested in the McDonald Jones Homes Seaside Retreat design and are thinking about doing a day trip from interstate to visit the display at Shell Cove. Has anyone been to this display or taken any photos? We have made the observation that given the positioning of the kitchen, there is only natural light coming in from the alfresco, which for us will be facing west. This means that it is possibly dark until mid to late afternoon. The Shell Cove display alfresco also points West.

Looking at other peoples posts, it appears as though the chesterfield is a similar design. I was wondering if anyone had built this and had issues with the kitchen being dark.
shaaark
My wife and quite interested in the McDonald Jones Homes Seaside Retreat design and are thinking about doing a day trip from interstate to visit the display at Shell Cove. Has anyone been to this display or taken any photos? We have made the observation that given the positioning of the kitchen, there is only natural light coming in from the alfresco, which for us will be facing west. This means that it is possibly dark until mid to late afternoon. The Shell Cove display alfresco also points West.

Looking at other peoples posts, it appears as though the chesterfield is a similar design. I was wondering if anyone had built this and had issues with the kitchen being dark.

Hey shaaark, I replied to your message ages ago but somehow it's been lost!

We built a modified 'Chesterfield' 12 months ago and your right, the kitchen is extremely dark due to where it's positioned. Our alfresco also faces west and due to adding an extra 'formal lounge' between the master bed and bed 2, it pushed the master bed back further requiring extending the alfresco to suit.

Our problem as much as it stems from having such a large alfresco area, we also have the outdoor blinds which closes it off to allow us to fully open our bi-fold doors which in turn darkens the kitchen even more...it's a never ending battle!

I also have a full charcoal kitchen which doesn't help matters, but I had no idea (until we moved in) the kitchen would be so dark during the day!

The only option I see is to install a skylight or 2 to lessen the need to turn on the lights when in the kitchen during the day.

The Seaside Retreat has replaced the Chesterfield which in itself is a beautiful design but it does have the same problem!

I would think that if you kept the design without the same modifications as ours, you may have a lesser problem with the light or lack there of!

Best of luck

Michelle
Related
31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

12/04/2024
Two kitchens in one house - planning rules

General Discussion

"is it exempt or do I need to get permission from council" Call your Council and ask them

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum