Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Issy&Ozzy's New Gen Build-Living areas, Splashback..& baby?!

Page 1 of 31
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted.. But things are finally getting real! Since my last few posts, we've got Prestart out of the way! It was only 3 hours long (maybe even less)! Our prestart lady was really impress as it normally goes longer she says :S I was just happy that we were prepared as much as we can.. Thank you to everyone that answered my questions in the past, they have helped me out so much!!

So.. As some of you may know, we're building The Maxum wuth New Generation Homes, and we are also signed up for "The Fasttrack Guarantee" (if anybody has signed up for this too, let me know how you went!) There's really nothing much that we changed in the floorplan as we loved it as is! It may seem small to others but I think it'll do us just fine:) The only things we did is add doors and upgrade stuff in the kitchen (YAY!)

Things to do after handover: flooring, paint, glass splashback for kitchen and LED lighting (it seems like a lot for me to handle but i'm sure we'll get through it haha)

The block.. is only 420sqm, in Haynes, in a new estate called Springtime! There's 3 villages, and we're in the Xavier side! We originally wanted to settle in Piara Waters/Harrisdale/Southern River but land is so expensive
That's okay, this estate is perfect for us atm, as it'll only be couple mins for me to ride to work and 20 mins for hubby to drive to work
There was delays on land titles as it was suppose to be in Sep 2014, now titles are estimated to be next month, Nov 2014! *fingers cross*

Selections! I will try to post pictures but I really doubt I can cos my phone died a couple days ago and I'm not sure how to retrieve all of it! So I'm just going to list our selections for the time being

Exteriors:-
Roof: Colorbond Windspray, Gutters and Fascias: Basalt Main Render: Solver Dawn Grey, Contrast Render: Solver Charcoal. Garage: Colorbond Shale Grey, Paving: Brikmaker Vistapave Stormcloud for main and Seamist for trimming. Trying to achieve the Light/Dark Grey house, *fingers cross* it'll turn out okay >_<"

This is the Maxum, ours will be flipped though..

This is our front elevation..

This isnt our house, but its got the colours we want (except the feature and main wall colours)
http://colorbond.autech.com.au/onlinevi ... 1i227aai7i

This is our floorplan..

Paving: I like the little speckles in the brick, I personally think it makes it look nicer

Storm Cloud

Seamist

Interiors:-
We're going to have a paint party! and we're just gonna paint everything white, wait a few years for the cracks to come in and then paint colors

Kitchen:-
H1 helped me so much with this! boy do I love revisting the "show me your kitchen" thread over and over again! haha.. A couple of posts ago I asked about colour selections in the kitchen and I'm glad to say that for benctops we're going: Essastone Galileo (20mm) and for cabinets we're going: Laminex Polar White in the Silk Finish. Originally we wanted the crystal finish but then i weigh pros and cons and I picked silk (so much cheaper btw). My husband allowed me to upgrade stuff in the kitchen but not too much
So our island will have waterfall edging. we upgraded the cabinets to drawers (a must have), put a microwave recess and have a cabinet drawer for the bin. I wanted overhead cupboards but DH reckons that i wont even fill up the drawers and we can do that later on in the years to come
Splashback we're oing it after handover, but I've yet to pick the colour. I know that I want a dark grey colour for splashback as I want it neutral and I've got a lot of red kitchen accessories (can anyone recommend me a colour?) thanks.

Example of Laminex Polar White in Silk Finish:

Essastone Galileo:

Tiles:-
We're only doing full height tiling in the ensuite and bathroom (not in W/C or L'dry). Thanks to Kayla from Crosby Tiles (Osborne Park), she helped us choose our tiles and cabinets and were estatic with HER service (we went there 3 times and on the third time she helped us a great deal, does help that she's an interior designing student)..

Ensuite: Benchtop: Formica Opal Grey, Cabinets: Formica Burnt Strand. Wall Tiles: Crosby's Fashion White and Fashion Black. Floor Tiles: Crosby's Belga Charcoal.

Main Bathroom: Benchtop: Formica Baikal, Cabinets: Laminex Chalky Teak. Wall Tiles: Crosby's Fashion White and Fashion Haze. Floor Tiles: Crosby's Belga Grey.

Flooring:- We're getting a friend of a friend to do it. We've chosen Quickstep Readyflor Spotted Gum 1 Strip (in main living areas, including hallways and theatre), and Black Grey carpets (in master suite, bed 2, 3, 4, and study).

Theatre:- We're upgrading the theatre doors to cavity sliders
We're Having M&B Shelby and Lockwood Cavity Sliding Door locks 7410 as handles. Expensive but I really wanted it

Shelby

Lockwood Cavity Sliding Door locks 7410

Thats it! sorry for the long post, but so much to update on
We're just waiting for lands to title next month, final docos and land settlement! hopefully we'll start the build in Jan or Feb 2015!!

PICTURE for proof of evidence that we got dirt

31.05.2014 - Signed PPA
29.08.2014 - Prestart
04.11.2014 - Signed Final Plans
14.11.2014 - Titles dued
28.11.2014 - Titles released
12.12.2014 - Land settlement applied
09.02.2015 - Certification of titles
09.02.2015 - MRA approvals applied
09.03.2015 - MRA approvals approved
16.03.2015 - Building permits received
19.03.2015 - Site Works commenced
27.03.2015 - Site Works completed
14.04.2015 - SLAB!
22.04.2015 - Soakwells installed
29.04.2015 - Bricks delivered
04.05.2015 - Brickwork commenced
22.05.2015 - PLATE HIGH!
26.05.2015 - Floating
01.06.2015 - Roof commenced
05.06.2015 - Timber frames installed
06.06.2015 - Electrical & Plumbing
26.06.2015 - Roof completed
08.07.2015 - Render commenced
17.07.2015 - Render & Ceiling
30.07.2015 - White set completed
31.07.2015 - Windows installed
31.07.2015 - LOCK UP!
03.08.2015 - Doors installed
06.08.2015 - Cabinets installed
10.08.2015 - Waterproofing & Shelvings
17.08.2015 - Grano
18.08.2015 - Tiling commenced
30.08.2015 - Tiling completed
03.09.2015 - Plumbings finalised
03.09.2015 - Pavers
10.09.2015 - Garage door installed
15.09.2015 - Renders and Internals
17.09.2015 - Elec Appliances installed
21.09.2015 - Blinds installed
23.09.2015 - House cleaned
25.09.2015 - Termite treatment
25.09.2015 - PCI
07.10.2015 - PCI items completed
09.10.2015 - KEYS!!
10.10.2015 - Painter commenced
11.10.2015 - Mailbox installed
12.10.2015 - Paint completed
Congratulations!
I'm also with New Gen and the fast track guarantee. So far so good! We signed our contract in April, had a slight delay with settlement due to mortgage paperwork our end and now we have a roof and apparently only about 2 weeks till lock up. All on schedule to be at PCI by the 22 weeks.
Hi Issy and Ozzy,

Congratulations and your selection is good.

I am also building with New Generation Homes in Heron Park, Harrisdale. Our build is also under fast track and so far build is going quite good.

The lockup is due to be by end of this month and I am expecting for a PCI to be before 22 weeks time.

AB
TheTurleys
Congratulations!
I'm also with New Gen and the fast track guarantee. So far so good! We signed our contract in April, had a slight delay with settlement due to mortgage paperwork our end and now we have a roof and apparently only about 2 weeks till lock up. All on schedule to be at PCI by the 22 weeks.

thanks guys!

Wow so excited for you guys.. It's one of the main reasons we wanted to sign with them.. So how's it going though? With quality? That's one of my main concerns.. its great to hear that two people are having good outcomes

Been looking at both your threads haha
Avenger
Hi Issy and Ozzy,

Congratulations and your selection is good.

I am also building with New Generation Homes in Heron Park, Harrisdale. Our build is also under fast track and so far build is going quite good.

The lockup is due to be by end of this month and I am expecting for a PCI to be before 22 weeks time.

AB

thanks guys!

Wow so excited for you guys.. It's one of the main reasons we wanted to sign with them.. So how's it going though? With quality? That's one of my main concerns.. its great to hear that two people are having good outcomes

Been looking at both your threads haha
Quality is good so far. I am using independent building inspector and the reports I am getting are good.
I can see build of some others houses in our stage, and overall NewGen build is good.
Avenger
Quality is good so far. I am using independent building inspector and the reports I am getting are good.
I can see build of some others houses in our stage, and overall NewGen build is good.

Thanks avenger..

So does new generation come with a building inspector? Cos me and hubby are looking to getting an independent inspector too.. Are they costly? Sorry for all the questions!
I'm not using an independent inspector and have been very pleased with the work so far. Not too sure about my drywall, I'm going to speak to the ss about it Monday. That would be the tradie though and not New Gen. Happy with the quality and speed of everything else so far.
Building inspector is through third party.

I am using Prospec (Mike) and he is very good. It is costing me $1070 for three inspections (brickwork, roof cover, PCI). Happy to recommend him.

AB
we are building with new gen as well in wandi, but we won't start till april next year (our titles are delayed)!

All the best for your build! I look forward to following your progress.
Turleys - Awesome! I see that you've got colourbond, looking at your time frames you've been so lucky, as well as avenger, things are progressing quick for you guys, who'll be in the house first though is my question

Avenger - Thanks so much, I'll look into that, its always good when you've got somebody to recommend isnt it! When did you get the building inspector though? like did you book him in advance? or when you got slab etc? do they need a lot of notice? sorry again with the questions! I just want it done right, and make sure, double triple check, I mean thats what we want in the end isnt it!

Im so jealous that you both get to go furniture shopping, I desperately want to do that too, but DH thinks its not a good idea cos then it'll mean that we'll have to lug it into the brand new house.. I'm more of a visualiser and want things like now.. he's more of a ldoing things right the first time, double and triple check it haha.. he keeps me on the gound haha.. I really wanted to buy this couch in furniture bazaar and its been discontinued

Hows furniture shopping for you guys going?

Tsmith - Oh wow thats not far from us! Us SOR got to stick together
I know right!! our titles were delayed from Sept 2014 to Nov 2014, so I'm not impress either, but we finally got dirt and thats great, it means we're not that far from titles and land settlement. I still havent signed final docos, I've signed draft variations but its gone to drafting, no more changing, bank approvals have to be done again (we went over budget, oops) but thats okay because we got a better deal! So hang in there Tsmith,. it just means that you get longer to choose your selections and save more money and yeah.. in my mind atm, you just cant rush perfection
am i right guys?!?! hehe..

Im so excited to see fellow New Genners (is that what they're calling it hehe).. I had to change from phone to computer as its much easier to reply and mobile format isnt great.. am I the only one that thinks that?
Hey Issy and Ozzy,

We are building in the estate next to you, Hillside release of Sienna Wood. I drive past both estates most days and Springtime is coming along nice and quickly.

Hope you guys have a nice and smooth build.
Hi bradendoe,

Oh yay! Hows sienna wood going? I drive pass springtime all the time too, but sienna wood I havent, just always see the sign! haha.. They have lovely houses there, whom are you building with?
IssyandOzzy
Theatre:- We're upgrading the theatre doors to cavity sliders
We're Having M&B Shelby and Lockwood Cavity Sliding Door locks 7410 as handles. Expensive but I really wanted it

Not a big fan of cavity doors in a media room, let alone a theatre room.

They let way too much sound escape from the room, and that's something you don't really want to have happen.

You should also put in accoustic batts around your media room too, as they'll help keep the sound in the room.
Bpratt - Yes we were warned about the cavity sliders, but they look so pretty

thanks for the idea of acoustic batts, will probably do it once were settled in and have kids, at the moment its just and me and the DH so fingers cross it wont bother me too much
Best to get the accoustic batts now, before the gyprock goes up, as it'd be too costly to strip the gyprock down to put the batts in.

See if they can put in 13mm gyprock in the ceiling at least, but definately the batts in the walls before the gyprock goes up.
IssyandOzzy
Turleys - Awesome! I see that you've got colourbond, looking at your time frames you've been so lucky, as well as avenger, things are progressing quick for you guys, who'll be in the house first though is my question

Avenger - Thanks so much, I'll look into that, its always good when you've got somebody to recommend isnt it! When did you get the building inspector though? like did you book him in advance? or when you got slab etc? do they need a lot of notice? sorry again with the questions! I just want it done right, and make sure, double triple check, I mean thats what we want in the end isnt it!

Im so jealous that you both get to go furniture shopping, I desperately want to do that too, but DH thinks its not a good idea cos then it'll mean that we'll have to lug it into the brand new house.. I'm more of a visualiser and want things like now.. he's more of a ldoing things right the first time, double and triple check it haha.. he keeps me on the gound haha.. I really wanted to buy this couch in furniture bazaar and its been discontinued

Hows furniture shopping for you guys going?

Tsmith - Oh wow thats not far from us! Us SOR got to stick together
I know right!! our titles were delayed from Sept 2014 to Nov 2014, so I'm not impress either, but we finally got dirt and thats great, it means we're not that far from titles and land settlement. I still havent signed final docos, I've signed draft variations but its gone to drafting, no more changing, bank approvals have to be done again (we went over budget, oops) but thats okay because we got a better deal! So hang in there Tsmith,. it just means that you get longer to choose your selections and save more money and yeah.. in my mind atm, you just cant rush perfection
am i right guys?!?! hehe..

Im so excited to see fellow New Genners (is that what they're calling it hehe).. I had to change from phone to computer as its much easier to reply and mobile format isnt great.. am I the only one that thinks that?

We signed up for our land in July 2013, titles were meant to be in March 2014... delay after delay, but it did allow us to save up and even upgrade our block from a small 288sqm one to 450sqm! that's right you can't rush perfection! We have plenty of time to work things out hey
bpratt - How much are acoustic batts normally? I'll let my hubby research it

tsmith - oh jeez that is a long wait! when will your titles be due then? I really hope ours isnt too far off, nov 2014 means nov 2014
Just hope they pull to their promise. We sign up in Feb 2014, and titles would be sept 2014, but then there was a delay due to previous stage issues.
IssyandOzzy
bpratt - How much are acoustic batts normally? I'll let my hubby research it

Very roughly around the same price as your normal insulation batts.

Check out the 'Big Green Shed' or the 'Big Blue Shed', and they'll have prices on their websites.

You might be lucky and your project builder might let you bring them in on site when the gyprocking is happening, or put you in touch with their gyprocking people for them to install.
bpratt - thanks for that, will have DH to look into it
Related
25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

15/11/2023
Kitchen living Dining

General Discussion

Can anyone suggest a house layout where the kitchen-dining - living runs the length across the rear of the house left to right where our best view will be we…

14/12/2023
Dark living room

General Discussion

sorry mate, not wasting more time on this. Youve completely missed the mark on some fundamentals and regardless of how many times i try and put it to you differently, you…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum