Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Slab issues

Page 1 of 1
Respected Forum member,
I am currently building in Melbourne Northern suburbs. I am building Waldorf 43 with porter Davis .Last week it was a pretty good weather and my Slab supervisor and concreter saw this as a good time to pour a slab. The hurried the process and end up with several issues/concerns.

When my independent slab inspector went to the site. He found issues like the Drain pipe in alfresco was not as per the engineering and required a re work. The drain pipes were cut too short . The reinforcement are bending at the corners. Retaining walls trenches need to dig wider.
In between this the Building inspector from porter Davis found another issue with the engineering of a strip footing.

There was a real concern when the concreter was preparing the slab foundation no one from PD was present on site to supervise the preparation.
This issue has been raised and my site supervisor is addressing to it. He decided to remove the drainage from alfresco as per his experience this is the only way to solve the issue. I didn't like it but have no choice to agree to it.

Now on yesterday i have been to the site and noticed as the reinforcement steel sitting on the waffle pod started to sink . As a result of which the steel at the edges and corners of footing are are sagging .
I am now worried if this will be fixed at the time of pouring and who will be vigilent of this issue .
Some suggestion from the forum member will be of great help.
http://southmorangwaldorf.blogspot.com.au/
Hi northernking, Just joined so may be too late. Sounds as though sand bed has eroded or spilled out under the underlay.

You need a structural engineer or a very experienced (suggest 20 years plus) building consultant for slab pre-pour inspections and not just the day before because have seen many reports handed in too late.

Hope your man found anything that was wrong.

Leonardo_23
Hi northernking,

Forgot to say take a lot of photos detailing your concerns in particular

Leonardo_23
Many people point their figure at the slab.
When the slab is only going to be a problem if it’s not installed properly and that’s where the problems come from.
People by their very nature always go for the cheapest price and this is a big mistake because with the cheapest price comes all the problems with it. Builders with the lowest price are always looking to save a dollar and unfortunately the build will suffer. The old saying (YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ).
Related
27/07/2023
Slab design - contract issues

Building A New House

It looks your builder was trying his luck

11/07/2023
Any issues?

Building A New House

I am looking at building a house. Has anyone used Construkt Homes (based in Adelaide)? Does anyone have experience with this builder?

3/10/2023
Issues with building contracts

General Discussion

Industry type domestic contracts are prepared by industry bodies for the benefit of the builders. This means that if you are the owner watch out. One of the points is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum