Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom Build NSW, tiles starting this week

Page 1 of 51
Hello,

I have been hanging around this site for awhile, even made the odd post a year or so ago. Now is the time for me to get on with it. Finally we have land, bought Oct 2013 but have been going backwards and forwards with plans. We engaged a draftsman, have a sloping block that we didn't want to cut into, I mean why have a view if you don't take advantage, correct?

Initial plan, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, split level but only garage/storage underneath, rest of house all on the one level came back sooooo expensive we were overwhelmed. We had built before but really! Reality check time, downsized plan but still keeping to original ideas. Now playing around with Structural Insulated Panels (SIP) idea. Love many things about the product particularly energy rating and not requiring a slab therefore able to build within fall of the block.

Have now sent concept plan to a SIP company to get an idea on pricing and what may have to be changed. So looking forward to the feedback. We also want take advantage of house orientation to utilize passive solar, cross ventilation etc.

I will upload the block and concept plan when I figure out how to. Love reading about everyone's build and so happy to finally have our own

Cheers!
How exciting, another sloping block plan

Looking forward too seeing your plans
Congratulations! I hope the quote comes back in your budget.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos and plans.

We are hoping to build on our sloping block next year.
Hi HomeAngels,

Great to hear from you, I have been following your build and think you are legends. That you stick to your dreams in the face of so much drama is a testament to you

Thanks AJB, we hope so too! Still waiting for that quote but have organised meetings with that builder, another one and our draftsman, so hopefully we'll get a price and plan we can go forward with.

Was going to upload block and plan but still having sorted that bit yet, will hopefully post tomorrow.

Will keep you in the loop,

Tracey
Wow, thank you!

It's definitely not easy but we keep concentrating on the end goal

Looking forward to following your build.
Good luck on the budget Tracey... I'm building in a sloping lot as well... But it's our first built and a budget one... Hence settled for cut and fill... I wanted to built a split level.... Looking forward for your plans...
Look forward to seeing your plans and photos of the block. ☺
Well,
Trying to upload images when I'm a bit IT challenged has been interesting, but hopefully this works and you'll see the plans. Quotes still not back, but interested in any comments.

Fingers crossed!
Yay, I did it, top floor of split level, now for the lower floor.
@Tracey,
Plans are looking good,.

Did give a thought on couple of things..
1. Flipping 180 degrees of panty and entry to kitchen so that entry to the house appears bigger than now.. but again, you will be walking around living to come to dining and alfresco...
2. moving the linen towards the bathroom wall to give a bigger entry vault but again, it will expose laundry entry, walkway to toilet/bath and you will loose space next to TV unit..

in total i think the current plan looks amazing...
If budget allows, i would include a study / man cave downstairs....

gud luck with the quote..
Thanks gkarkey,

Took me a minute to get my head around the 180 degree flip
We were thinking of making the window in the kitchen to the verandah a servery so don't think the flip would work but take your point about access to the kitchen. Yep, don't really fancy exposing the toilet door especially and hubby already thinks there will be room for the man cave downstairs, there will be room under the house but may be dark.

Thanks for your input, does give us ideas,
Cheers,
Ok, time to update.
Met with builder but not particularly happy, they wanted to fiddle with the plan, smaller, carport instead of garage amongst other ideas. Had thoughts of owner building, hubby feels he could manage, me - fairly underwhelmed by that notion.
Have sent plan to a couple of other builders, anyone heard of Kline Homes? They will do to lock up and include gyprock, electrical & plumbing roughins and we could finish the rest. Seems a workable compromise and the structural warranty would be covered by them.
I know I have seen somewhere on the site about a spreadsheet for working out possible costings but perhaps I'm going quietly mad

Addit, went to Melb home-show, more ideas to blow a girl's budget but thanks homeone for the free passes, much appreciated,
Cheers, Tracey
Well after a lot of discussion, builder quotes and plan redraws, we are nearly there with a plan we can live with
A couple of changes then on to working drawings, this process is long but we want to get it right, after all we'll be in the house for a while.
The OH has his man cave/cellar that's nearly 6m x 3m behind the garage, very pleased with himself. I have convinced myself that the size of rooms are adequate, difficult building in a state you don't live in, constantly getting out the tape measure and 'stepping out' LOL
I'll upload the final draft when I get it back, fingers crossed for tomorrow,
Cheers
Keep us posted with your progress.

Stewie
Thanks Stewie happy to have your help in any way, people on this site are great at sharing info.

Well got the last draft through today, will make a couple of tweaks but overall very happy with how the house has come together.

Pardon the pics, off a mobile,
Thoughts anyone? I think working drawings and basix, waiting on quote for engineering drawings.
Getting more exciting now
Ooh, fantastic plan! Love the master bedroom/ensuit area nd the outdoor dining too!

Do you have a nice view?

My only question is are you happy to bring the groceries from the car, upstairs, around the corner, around the kitchen bench and to the pantry? Have you considered moving the bench that has the kitchen sink on it down to the other wall? That way entry to the kitchen is from the lounge and dining, not just the dining? Something for you to consider.

Sorry, should've mentioned this earlier but only just came across your thread! Good luck with everything
Hey Charlston,

Actually that's a good idea! I did have someone mention to flip the kitchen 180 with pantry on exterior wall but for various reasons discounted this. Like your idea though, we do have ramps up from garage to laundry so we can use the house if stairs become an issue but I definitely take your point, quick call to the draftsman, will let you know, oh we have great views of the mountains will try and post a pic,
Cheers
Quick pic of our view
Fantastic view!!! No wonder you have so much balcony space, you are going to want to soak up that scenery all the time!

It's worth a thought because it would make it more convenient even getting up to get a drink etc when you're in the living room. But it's up to you obviously, whatever suits you best!
Looking forward to seeing your house progress!
Thought I would check in and update, so we have engaged an engineer who will talk to our draftsman and preferred builder to come up with a structural plan. We're trying to decide between private and council certifiers, leaning towards council.

Thought though, if we have a certifier who checks the build and the draftman on site to also keep things on track do we need an independent inspector as well or is that the work of the cerifier? We are so aware of having the house built well, this site both opens your eyes but does add worry
We are also building in another state from where we live which is adding to my paranoia I suspect!!

We want to get through this process and finally submit plans for the DA then watch out for my happy dance, can't wait
Meanwhile will continue to live vicariously through others builds,

Cheers!
TracyWayne you have the most stunning views. Hope the plans are finalized soon so it's all locked in for you soon.
Related
24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

3/10/2023
Final payment for new build in NSW

Building A New House

regardless, your contract stipulates a payments schedule and SOPA doesn't give provision to that scenario. Your contractual terms appear to stand. Hence get a lawyer, it…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum