Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fist time building - Content

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We are first time builders and currently in the process of building and have Pre Start coming up.

We are doing painting and flooring ourselves, after handover.

Just wanting peoples opinions on what to upgrade and what not to upgrade during Pre Start;

- Essastone benchtops- Cost of upgrading to colour outside standard colour selection? and cost if selecting more than 2 colours?
- Tapware- is it more cost effective to install tap ware after handover?
- Looking at putting in a fee standing bath- has anyone done this before? was this an issue?
- Splashbacks- Have not come across anything we love in the standard selection; so thinking of doing this also after handover

Any tips and advice regarding building/pre start would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance
We were also going to do the splashback after handover but would of had to have had temporary tiles in the kitchen and then remove them. This was apparently a bca requirement that it could not be handed over with nothing.
Electrical power points is my most important Pre Start Issue. Builders standard provision is pathetic (see http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/ele ... g-general/)

For a couple of thousand dollars you can really improve the situation.
Jays- so to be able to do splashback after handover you have to get the builder to lay some some sort of tile splashback, then remove it? Seems silly doesn't it!

Bashworth- I know what you are talking about they don't supply you with much at all! Lucky ny partner is an electrician
geo_1010
Hi All,

We are first time builders and currently in the process of building and have Pre Start coming up.

We are doing painting and flooring ourselves, after handover.

Just wanting peoples opinions on what to upgrade and what not to upgrade during Pre Start;

- Essastone benchtops- Cost of upgrading to colour outside standard colour selection? and cost if selecting more than 2 colours?
- Tapware- is it more cost effective to install tap ware after handover?
- Looking at putting in a fee standing bath- has anyone done this before? was this an issue?
- Splashbacks- Have not come across anything we love in the standard selection; so thinking of doing this also after handover

Any tips and advice regarding building/pre start would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Welcome to the Content-Living family.

I have supplied my own Taps and Sinks for the kitchen and Butlers Pantry and they were really flexible with it. If you go to the splash back factory there are hundreds of colours to choose from.

My build viewtopic.php?f=31&t=64837
Thanks Triggywiggy!

Did you save money by supplying your own tap ware and sink? Or would it be better to get standard taps and replace them after handover?

Anyone know is there such a thing as 'supplying your own trade'?

Thanks in advance
geo_1010
Thanks Triggywiggy!

Did you save money by supplying your own tap ware and sink? Or would it be better to get standard taps and replace them after handover?

Anyone know is there such a thing as 'supplying your own trade'?

Thanks in advance

Content are really flexible. You have 2 options with them. You can give them the details of what you want to upgrade and the name of the supplier or you can purchase the items yourselves and give them to them to use (as long as they meet AS and Wels ratings).
Related
6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

7/08/2023
Acceptable wait time for email response to question from sma

Owner Builder Forum

how imperative is the timing of the answer?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum