Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wellard Estates - Emerald Park & Sunrise feedback?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
Just looking for a bit of feedback on some of the Wellard estates. I did a drive through Emerald Park and Sunrise yesterday. There are a couple of blocks we are looking at in those areas.

Sunrise seemed really quiet and peaceful, but our block backs onto the high tension elec towers. Not sure if that would bother me or not! Anyone know whether the fencing behind the block is temporary or if that is what they are leaving it as? And what is the access to shops, schools like there? Seemed like everything might be over the freeway.

Emerald Park was pretty too, again blocks we were looking at backed onto the freeway. Any feedback on what the noise level is like? Looked like a pretty solid wall! And does anyone know whether the freeway next to the estate is planned to be widened at some stage? There were blocks with a bit more bush between house and freeway but I assume at some stage that will go!

Any other feedback would be great!
Thankyou!
Personal choice about both powerlines and freeway. I'd personally give both a miss. I know the stigma of ht lines impacts land values (study done by a prof at Curtin uni) and the noise of the freeway would drive me mad.
Pretty much everything is on the Emerald Park side of the freeway.
We are building in Emerald Park and our block is really close to the freeway ( I actually didn't realise quite how close until they started building that enormous sound barrier wall). I must say that the freeway noise was relatively bad last week while I was standing at my block, but it was 5:30pm and peak hour traffic, but I think if I was inside my house I wouldn't have been able to hear it. And once they finish that wall it would reduce the noise even further. Not sure if there are future plans for widening of the freeway though.
Power lines would drive me insane, but that's just me.

Oh and we are currently close to the train line and I can tell you that the noise from that is wayyyy louder than the freeway noise
We live in the Village (and are building there again) so not quite the estates you are looking at but close by. I did a drive through Sunrise the other day and was astonished at the proximity to the power lines, not my cup of tea.
Emerald Park - I'm not sure about the freeway noise - perhaps if you were a few streets in?
In saying that, people commented that we must get train noise living 500m from Wellard Train Station, the only time we hear it is on a very still evening if we are sitting in the back garden. We are more likely to hear the freight train than the commuter one. So anyway, you might not notice the freeway noise.

What about Providence or the new Wellard one on the other side of Sunrise, Wellard Green or something? What is it about Sunrise and Emerald Park that appeals?

Personally I love the village, the proximity to Peter Carnley is great, and that we are getting new shops and we have the train station. Plus we have a thriving residents association and our developer PEET is investing a lot through creating communities to build the community leaving here.
Thanks everyone

Sunrise and Emerald park had the slightly bigger blocks for lower prices so thats what appealed originally. We need 15-16m frontage for the house we are looking at. We live way up north in Merriwa so hadn't actually been down in person to see the available blocks until this weekend. But the freeway and power signs put me off and I've been umming and ahhing since.

I've just had another look at the blocks available in Providence and I think I'm now leaning more towards that. Wish I'd gone through it while I was down there!! Sounds great with its walking trail and adventure park and bush! Hadn't really given that area a lot of thought before, not sure why.. Will have another look at the Village too.

Thanks again, so easy to convince yourself it's a good idea when you're looking at $$ haha
We are currently building at Emerald Park and cannot hear any freeway noise. The sound wall is huge and thick and the freeway itself is easily 20 metres lower so no noise at all from the freeway.
When we were looking at blocks, we found one that backed onto the freeway but the council required you to have a sound package on the house, basically added costs to sound proof the house and you needed ducted air con etc so windows didn't have to be opened. Different council but may have similar rules. This would reduce noise as well so not all bad.
When I lived with my parents there was a train track (commercial) going past the suburb and when a train went past (not very frequently) that made ALOT of noise. Freeway was much quieter in comparison.
I wouldn't choose next to power lines, would lower value of house in my opinion and I thought I read somewhere about increased radiation so they can't build too close but that puts me off a bit.
It is a personal decision though, good to go to the block and see what kind of noise you hear as that would be what it would be like to live there and be in the yard etc for entertaining.
I see on another thread you went with Providence - I think it's an excellent choice! Merriwa is quite a distance - If needed, I can email you pics when I am looking at my build
Hi - I am building in Sunrise and actually used to work for the developer. Only some of the houses require upgrading the dwelling to have sound proofing. This would have been outlined in your contract.

As for the powerlines, dwellings must be built a certain distance from them (Western Power requirement I believe) of which they all are (otherwise CoK wouldn't let it be developed like that).

The blocks near powerlines are priced cheaper than those that aren't. Significantly different from memory.
Hi aimees88 - yes we signed on Saturday, very exciting!! Area seems like its going to be great. Ended up spending more on the block than we wanted to but we're very happy with everything

Will definately be watching as your build progresses, and the estate starts to take shape. We were there last week and the road to our block wasn't laid. This weekend there was a road and even footpaths on our block. Amazing how fast it all happens!!
Our titles aren't out until Sept/Oct so lots of waiting to come!
Yep - things happen quickly. Sept isn't actually that far away when you think about it
Related
6/02/2024
Property Boundaries in New Estates

General Discussion

The setback from the kerb is 4m. It is council land to provide an area for services like sewer main, gas mains, water mains, underground power or poles for overhead power,…

19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum