Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Handover and PCI same day??

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I'm building with Plantation in Brisbane. I've just learned that we have handover and inspection on the same day, then they have 14 days AFTER handover to rectify any issues we find at inspection. Is this common?? Seems different to the process of everyone else on here.

How will all their tradies etc get in if we're all at work and they no longer have keys. Maybe they're not expecting many things needing to be fixed but I already have a short list in mind. :s
Seems a strange idea to me.

I would like to get as much of the PCI items dealt with before I
1. Make the final Payment.
2. Move in.

Here is a link to some hints for your PCI: http://www.anewhouse.com.au/2012/01/pra ... -12-hints/
Yes its standard.
As for your list keep that for when you do your handover inspection and see how much of it is still to be done. if its things like something has been left out or is not what was in the selections then let them know now. But if its marks on wall or a door that doesnt shut properly then let them finish your house.
Once you hand over, if need be the tradies will liase with you re access.
Also remember, you cannot with hold payment if the house is at practical completion. well you can its just you wont get the keys to move in untill you do.
We always recommend independent pre final inspection about two weeks before intended handover.
If significant issues are found it will give builder time to rectify and still achieve handover. If you do inspection on the same day as handover what are you going to do if there are significant defects? You have already organised your move so you are then under pressure to accept sub standard workmanship and defects. Will they be fixed? Maybe or maybe not. Do you really want trades in your house after you have moved in?
Yes, we're planning to have a building inspector with us at pci. This is just how the builder does things though, I don't think I can change their process or even if it would be worthwhile. I guess if we find MAJOR issues then handover would be delayed.... We have a bit of time on our rental lease still.
Ari what is your sass directed towards?? Hehe.
Thanks Bashworth, yes we've already bought your pci booklet thank you.

I understand I can't delay final payment even if we weren't happy so does it matter I wonder...
Thanks mgilla, yeah that's why I'm keeping a list rather than pestering the SS for every little thing. Will cross them off if they've already been fixed at inspection. Major things I speak to SS about though.
EmyN
Ari what is your sass directed towards?? Hehe.

Their suggestion to handover before the fixes
Worked OK for us. You must take your time and check everything - AND look up !!!

You'll probably find they have already marked a few things- eg paint work, marks etc. But take your time - go from room to room and around house - and record everything. Maybe have a pad ready - set up for rooms and areas. Outside too - there may be hidden "treasures" there ...

A private inspector is always a good idea.

My other tip - take the 12 month inspection - not the 6 months.
EmyN
Hi guys,

I'm building with Plantation in Brisbane. I've just learned that we have handover and inspection on the same day, then they have 14 days AFTER handover to rectify any issues we find at inspection. Is this common?? Seems different to the process of everyone else on here.

How will all their tradies etc get in if we're all at work and they no longer have keys. Maybe they're not expecting many things needing to be fixed but I already have a short list in mind. :s

Hey, I can see your post is quite old and here I have finished building house in 2023 in Narangba, Northside of Brisbane and my builder is also going to hold PCI on the same day as handover. How did you guys go with you PCI on the same day as handover?
The OP hasnt been active for 9 years. Good on you for using the search function on the forum, but i don't like your chances of getting a response.
Related
7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum