Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Stellabella's second build - work stopped...again - 1 month+

Page 1 of 12
*Update page ten*

Well hello again everybody!

I haven't posted on here for a few months (apart from sporadically), since our build finished - we planned and travelled on another trip to America, which took up most of my year last year! End of this week marks one year since we moved in...and now we have put it on the market for sale.

We weren't planning on selling this soon (though definitely within the next few years), but we've found the perfect block that we've had our eye on for a while, and they are about to increase the prices, so we're wanting to put it an offer before they do.

We're not planning on starting the actual build until the end of next year - we'll (hopefully) sell the house in the next few months, use the profits to put a deposit down and get a loan for the land; move back into my parent's house (they have moved to Alice Springs so it's just my sister there three nights a week at the moment) and save save save until the end of next year!

We would have done it sooner, except we are going back to America for a month over Christmas/New Years next year, and don't want to be in before that.

In case you don't remember or are new to the forums, here's our last build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59376&start=600

If you can't be bothered reading, here's a basic summary:

Myself and my husband (both nearly 25) have been married for around a year and a half. We (including my beautiful cat!) built a 217sqm house on a 800sqm block of land, with a 8.4x4.2m pool. It has a few nice touches, but was really built to sell.

This time we are hoping to get closer to 'the dream' - well, as close as we can get at 25. We have no kids, but are building this house for the future. We will be using the same builder as we had used previously.

We have already started discussing house plans - the builder is fully aware this is a long term/1.5-2 year project, but we want to get an idea of what we're going to have to save. I'll hopefully post some basic (probably hand drawn) plans either tonight or later this week, and also what we're wanting to include this time (having learnt from last time, or knowing what we want to upgrade).

This is going to be a long ride...but if you're prepared to come along, I promise it will be worth it!

ETA Timeline:

Land contract dated/signed: 23/8/16
Finance approval: 25/8/16
Settlement: TBC (6/10/16)
I just posted in your old post lol
Haha that's all good! We didn't think we would do it again so soon (especially within like two years), but sometimes these things just happen! All depending on this house selling, of course.

Here are a few photos of the land, will try and get more over the weekend:

It's around 4000sqm. We are just trying to get some more info on a storm drain that's been mentioned, but we're hoping to put in an offer tomorrow.
One more thing for tonight...the kitchen idea. I posted an idea last time, and we got it nearly spot on, so I'm hoping for the same thing again!

Wow .if that's what your kitchen is going to look like . I'm jealous lol . Amazing .
Finally I found someone who stays in a house for less time that us before moving hehe.

Kitchen looks very slick. The layout is very similar to ours other than we are having two wall ovens side by side. Even that splashback colour looks identical to what I am after.
Haha Melzie, this is the 'aim', we'll probably end up with a similar-but-not-quite-there version haha. I'll be interested to see what prices we are quoted for the timber bulkhead type thing, I'm thinking it doesn't necessarily have to be like that one - I need to find more photos for ideas! When we were drawing up the plan, I used this photo to get the shape of the kitchen how I wanted it! Haha

Asha - we actually made the decision about a month ago that we would stay in the current in the current house until we had kids and then for a few years. We even started getting quotes on things we wanted to change/upgrade. Then this weekend we drove past the block again, found out prices were going up 10% and decided to just do it.

The same real estate agent that is selling the land is also selling our house. One of the people who backs onto the lake on the other side told my husband yesterday that there is a storm water drain running through our block, and that we would be responsible for any rubbish/muck etc that comes into the lake from that drain. I can understand runoff from our own block, but if it services the whole estate...? DH is trying to get onto the real estate today to find out what the deal is.

With the splashback - I am in LOVE with the colour, isn't it amazing? If you find an exact match, I'd love to know so I can use it too haha
How on earth do you find the energy to build again so soon?
We're putting everything we've got into our house build and it's really taking it out of us. I can't imagine selling it and starting all over again so soon!!
Wow you've caught the bug it seems! Beautiful view, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Emy, if I'm honest, DH does most of the footwork at the beginning and I just change the things he brings back to me haha. I don't have a lot of time (I generally work 45-50 hours a week) to do it, whereas he has plenty - he's home for 3 weeks at a time with nothing else to do

Tina - it seems so! I seem to remember saying "I'm never doing this again!" but mainly in regards to living with my parents during the build...but now that they aren't there, maybe it will be different

I'm starting to think about appliances...we used Venini appliances which were standard with our builder last time, though we did upgrade to 900mm with a freestanding oven. This time I'm wanting something a little nicer, but definitely don't have the budget for anything super-fancy! Our builder said we can choose our own appliances and they will order them, they will get a little of retail but they won't know how much until we actually choose them.

Can anyone recommend a brand we could get a 900mm wall oven (or double oven, I haven't asked DH - the chef - which he would prefer yet), 900mm gas cooktop, rangehood (just slideout) and dishwasher? I'm thinking around $3000-$3500? It seems like we would be able to get Westinghouse appliances for that price. Anyone got any other suggestions?
Ok, there is an easement with the storm water drain and so council is responsible, however we are putting a due-dillgiance clause in the contract regarding this. We have put in an offer on the land...yay! I don't think it will be accepted, since it is over $10k off the asking price (remember they are increasing the price by 10%), but it's worth a shot! DH goes back to work for 3 weeks on Wednesday, so we are hoping to have signed a contract by then. Fingers crossed we can get the land a little cheaper than asking, and also that the house sells quickly so we don't have to pay for heaps of marketing
All the best for the land looking forward to following your build
Good luck with your offer. Got my fingers crossed for you that they accept it.
stellabella congrats on the new build, I read your last thread so will sign up for this one!

When do you hope to find out if your offer has been accepted?
That BLOCK! I can see why you'd jump in
Good luck with the offer.
Thanks everyone! Hoping to hear tomorrow. Will keep you all updated!
Ok, so here's a list of things we've asked the builder to include. We'll go through more plan more thoroughly once it's done up and even add how many lights, tv points, power points etc we want - we want as much included in the house to begin with as possible, and then cut back.

Bath/plumbing:
$1000 allowance for freestanding bath
Walk-in-shower in ensuite (room for 2 showerheads)
Double vanity in ensuite (1800mm), maybe 1500 in bathroom
Powder room (e.g. extra vanity outside of toilet)
Allowance for vanities by cabinetmaker
Zip Tap
$2500 tapware allowance
$1000 kitchen sink allowance

Kitchen:
Glass splashback
Upgraded appliances
Undermount sink
$10k cabinetry allowance

Lighting:
LED downlights throughout

Outside:
Outdoor kitchen
Exposed agg driveway
Tank (10,000 gallon concrete) half buried
8x3m min outdoor area
2 bay shed

Facade:
Brick pillars
Mixture of cladding to the render

General:
Raised ceilings (2700)
Stainless steel fans
Solarblock windows
Security to all SGD with pet doors
Glass surround 1200 front door
Cabinetry to laundry (as per my parents')
Semi-frameless showerscreens
Roller blinds
Built-in desk to living
Single garage (with storage)

Now the plan: this is just the plan we are basing the house off, will be nothing like it in reality. We need to cut down around 100sqm to get it in our price range! This is a plan through GJ G@rdner that we are changing.

-Changing to a single garage (since we'll have the shed for DH)
-Removing: gallery, breezeway, office (since we'll have the desk, that's all we need), cellar and third toilet.
-We are going to manipulate the main bedroom a bit so it takes in the patio, to have the WIR larger
-The kitchen will be designed more with that inspiration photo in mind, but with a window out the end to the outdoor kitchen

And many others, apparently the first plan will be ready to have a look at mid next week. I'm sure we'll end up having to downgrade a lot of things, but it's a start!

That plan is mind blowingly awesome.
Wow sitting here trying to follow what you are doing with it .lol I can't visualise a thing. Can't wait to see end plan . Great plan to work with all rooms look like a great size
I'm hoping we can try and stick to that plan, but at this stage I have no idea what we'll come up with in our budget haha. Hopefully something similar...ish.

Went back out to the block today, now that the water has gone down - we had minor flooding here over the last few days. Not enough to inundate businesses again luckily, but a good dose for the farmers who really needed it!

Bridge had re-opened about an hour before we went over it (this is nowhere near our house/block, fyi!):

Standing at the top left boundary peg, looking diagonally across:

Looking from bottom right boundary back up:

And the entry to the estate:

We haven't heard anything back on our offer yet. Don't know if that's a good sign or not haha!
Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum