Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder trying to scam? Extra $1000 for limited site access?

Page 1 of 1
Another clause I noticed in my build contract with my builder that doesn't seem right is the clause "provide site handling charge due to limited one side and rear access" which they are charging for $1000 (provisional). Our lot is 14 meters and it isn't exactly large but it isn't exactly small considering there are a lot of much smaller lots (12m ~ 10m lots) that people are building currently. It just seem extraordinary they would charge this considering the lot to our right is empty. And also how do they build it in much smaller lot than ours? It just seems like a superfluous scam clause they trying to put in and I am not sure how to ask them to remove it. Any idea?
Seems reasonable to me. For small lots there are situations where space / access is limited and it is fair enough for the builder to need extra equipment or time to do the job safely.

My build is on a narrow lot and scaffolding was in place for weeks.

See photos on my build thread for problems a small site causes. My builder had to organise separate deliveries of frames and other materials because there just wasn't enough space on site.

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=63933&start=40

Your main concern should be that this is listed as a provisional cost. Your builder could easily charge you thousands more plus their margin if they under-estimated the cost of any additional equipment or labour.

Maybe ask them what it is for and try and satisfy yourself that the provisional sum is needed and is an accurate estimate.

Note that any extra $$$ beyond the contract amount will likely need to come from you own pocket. Make sure you have a buffer of money for any nasty surprises.
Related
20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

23/03/2024
Fridge Freezer not working after trying to run on Generator

Kitchen Appliances

I had a similar issue with my fridge not too long ago. It wasn't the same model, but the symptoms were pretty much the same: the compressor would start and then stop…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum