Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Blog Updated - Site Start

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I've updated the blog with images of our floor plans ... http://housebuildingprocess.blogspot.com/

Any comments?
Looks great Duminda, I hope the kids are going to play quite upstairs in the living room while you are watching you favourite in the theatre room...

Looks like a great location, so close to the beach a Patterson Lakes, Chelsea area...
Very nice Duminda,

Great storage on the linen/brm cupboard downstairs.

Is your WIR wide enough to have hanging on both sides?

If not on the internal wall it would be a great space for a built in shoe, belt, scarf rack etc, as they dont need the depth that clothes do.

looks good.
Duminda,

I love your floorplan. It looks great. If I was going to build double storey house, I would choose this.

Cheers
Hi Duminda - great looking house. My only comments would be seems a lot of wasted space in the powder/laundry/broom closet area. Could it be possible to have the powder straight off the hallway leaving a lot more workable space for laundry and storage. A possibility in your house if you are having your home theatre equipment adjacent to the garage wall is an access door so you can access your equipment cables from behind. I love your upstairs - great use of space.
Hi Duminda,

I have the same comments as brittany,

Quote:
great looking house. My only comments would be seems a lot of wasted space in the powder/laundry/broom closet area.

We also changed the orientation of our powder, kitchen WIP, laundry and broom closet area in order to make a bigger laundry and WIP. We removed a hallway going to the laundry from the kitchen and achieved our goal of having bigger areas.
Your floor plans looks great. I agree with Brittany and VJ, you can have more efficient use of space in the laundry area.

What about moving the kitchen up a bit and so have a WIP? along the back wall.?

Raz
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, complements and tips.

Quote:
Looks like a great location, so close to the beach a Patterson Lakes, Chelsea area...

Yes, it is ... we've been living here for 5 years and absolutely love it, so we decided to build our new home in the same area.

Quote:
Is your WIR wide enough to have hanging on both sides?

If not on the internal wall it would be a great space for a built in shoe, belt, scarf rack etc, as they dont need the depth that clothes do.

That's a great idea!
... the WIR is 1500mm wide and at the moment we only have a single 500mm shelf. We'll put a 200mm shelf on the opposite side after the handover.

Quote:
seems a lot of wasted space in the powder/laundry/broom closet area. Could it be possible to have the powder straight off the hallway leaving a lot more workable space for laundry and storage.A possibility in your house if you are having your home theatre equipment adjacent to the garage wall is an access door so you can access your equipment cables from behind.

Agree on the wasted space in laundry. Unfortunately it's not easy to change this area because of the staircase. If we have direct access to the powder off hallway, we'll have to have access to the laundry from the lounge ... not very nice. We also thought about moving the powder to where the washing machine is, but that would block the storage space under the stairs.

Theatre is going to be prewired, so nearly all the cabling will be in the wall cavities.

Quote:
What about moving the kitchen up a bit and so have a WIP? along the back wall.?

I wanted to do this, but was overruled by DW
... she was dead against taking any space out of the living areas. The existing pantry is 1200mm wide, so hopefully that will do.
Duminda,

Quote:
Agree on the wasted space in laundry. Unfortunately it's not easy to change this area because of the staircase. If we have direct access to the powder off hallway, we'll have to have access to the laundry from the lounge ... not very nice. We also thought about moving the powder to where the washing machine is, but that would block the storage space under the stairs.

When we changed the plans to remove wasted space, we didn't have to move any wet areas. We were advised that it would be hard to move wet areas.
So, what we did was just to move walls / doors so as to maximise space.
Posted some snapshots from my 3D model ...

http://housebuildingprocess.blogspot.com/
Excellent !!

They look great and really help to visualise the 'space'

What program have you used to create this?
mattwalker
What program have you used to create this?

Hi Matt

I used Google Sketchup
OMG!

I looked at it and thought that....but it would have taken ages??

Even bigger congrats now then!!
Thanks!
Pictures of the first few days at the site ...

http://housebuildingprocess.blogspot.com/2008/08/site-start.html
I love your floorplan - and good work on the 3D model! It's going to be a lovely house.
Thanks
congratulations on the start duminda!

Your little girl looks very happy exploring in the dirt! What a cutie. Can you imagine her excitement when the house starts to go up!
Related
3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum