Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

PD Customers - Did you use Big Kev the Building Inspector?

Page 1 of 5
Hello all,

Finally we are about to start building with PD in South East Vic. To all the other Porter Davis customers, did you use Kev the building inspector & if so did he find many faults with PD workmanship? How did PD react to using Big Kev?
Thnx in advance.

Izzys123
Yes we did. Using Kevin we were able to finally get a much better standard of finish than what PD were presenting to us as "acceptable". Strongly recommend using Kevin!

They were ok with us using him - but really they don't have a choice as you have the right to have an indendpent inspection done!
Hi Vanderlay,

Which inspection that you had asked Kevin to do for you
We wonder how many inspection that we need because of the budget.

Thanks.
mikeval
Hi Vanderlay,

Which inspection that you had asked Kevin to do for you
We wonder how many inspection that we need because of the budget.

Thanks.

We had Kevin do a pre-handover inspection for us. Most people recommend getting a pre-plaster inspection as well.
I have him coming on Tuesday to do a pre plaster inspection. I called my site supervisor last Tues to find out a good time for Kevin to come and he said he would have to call me back with a time. By Friday I had not heard from him so I got my partner to call. Our SS said he can come any time and that he does not need to be there but plaster is starting on Thursday and he does not want to hold it up. We wasted three days waiting for SS to call back so I am not sure what will happen now if Kevin finds things that need to be fixed?
dancelisah
I have him coming on Tuesday to do a pre plaster inspection. I called my site supervisor last Tues to find out a good time for Kevin to come and he said he would have to call me back with a time. By Friday I had not heard from him so I got my partner to call. Our SS said he can come any time and that he does not need to be there but plaster is starting on Thursday and he does not want to hold it up. We wasted three days waiting for SS to call back so I am not sure what will happen now if Kevin finds things that need to be fixed?

You should get a repot from Kevin within a couple of days, so hopefully would have it on thursday...(though he seems to be much busier now than he was...)

IIf they cover up anything that needs to be fixed then they'll just have to uncover it again - not for you to worry about!!!
vanderlay
If they cover up anything that needs to be fixed then they'll just have to uncover it again - not for you to worry about!!!

Hey thanks Vanderlay that is really sensible I had not thought of it like that! Kevin said he will do the report on Tuesday night so they will have it on Wednesday so I guess it will be silly of them to start plastering if there is anything to fix.
dancelisah

I'd make sure you advise Kevin's visit to your CSR or Construction Mgr as well. Don't just depend on your S/S to "handle" it.

It is better that your S/S is on-site to walk through things with Kevin....ours was....and in the end, plaster was delayed by 2 weeks!!! (as our builder had to rectify a few issues). It seems that not all tradies are up to speed with the latest specifications so Kevin is always good to have on your side!

Kevin has quite the reputation with the industry.......I know our builder knows and respects Kevin and did abide by his findings. At the end of the day it is in their best interest to get it right isn't it?

Best thing we ever did was to invest in Kevin for our pre-plaster inspection.

I would not hesitate to recommend him to any member of the forum....i'll have to book him in shortly for our pre-handover inspection as well.

Just remember to say that you were recommended by Homeone and he should look after you.
**Phoenix**
Best thing we ever did was to invest in Kevin for our pre-plaster inspection.

We had Kevin "batting" for us at several stages and he was immensley helpful when dealing with our builder.

**Phoenix**
I would not hesitate to recommend him to any member of the forum.

Ditto. Professional, committed and working for you to HELP YOU GET WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR!

**Phoenix**
Just remember to say that you were recommended by Homeone and he should look after you.

This is really important as Kevin does respond well to clients from this forum. If you dont let him know he more than likely won't respond!
mattwalker
**Phoenix**

This is really important as Kevin does respond well to clients from this forum. If you dont let him know he more than likely won't respond!

LOL, i don't actually believe he WON'T respond, (I'm sure he wants the business), it's just that he gives Homeone members a priority!!!

(Nothing wrong with good service I say!!!
)

PS. Thanks Matt - cause you were the one that recommended him to us all!!!!
**Phoenix**
I'd make sure you advise Kevin's visit to your CSR or Construction Mgr as well. Don't just depend on your S/S to "handle" it.

It is better that your S/S is on-site to walk through things with Kevin....ours was....and in the end, plaster was delayed by 2 weeks!!! (as our builder had to rectify a few issues). It seems that not all tradies are up to speed with the latest specifications so Kevin is always good to have on your side!

My SS does not seem interested in being there but he said the carpenter is likely to be there that day so would be able to talk about any issues. My CSR only really organises post contract variations I can't imagine she would do much with the information if I tell her but I think I will take your advise Phoenix and do so.
**Phoenix**
mattwalker
**Phoenix**

LOL, i don't actually believe he WON'T respond, (I'm sure he wants the business), it's just that he gives Homeone members a priority!!!

(Nothing wrong with good service I say!!!
)

PS. Thanks Matt - cause you were the one that recommended him to us all!!!!

I mentioned Homeone in my first email to him and he called me back that day so I was very happy with that, I was expecting it would take a while to contact him so it was a nice surprise
It seems like Everybody loves Kevin. Kevin is super "star".
dancelisah
**Phoenix**

My SS does not seem interested in being there but he said the carpenter is likely to be there that day so would be able to talk about any issues. My CSR only really organises post contract variations I can't imagine she would do much with the information if I tell her but I think I will take your advise Phoenix and do so.

Good Luck with it then....are YOU going to be there with Kevin?
I was for our inspection....Kevin will go through things with you so that you have a better understanding of the situation.
If your CSR isn't interested and your S/S wants to palm the responsibility onto the "carpenter".... then i'd try going to the Construction Manager and ask for them to be on-site?

Also remember that the "carpenter" isn't going to be up to speed on slab, plumbing etc. issues (if you have any that is?) So he'll just have to remember to pass on the information to the S/S i suppose?

I'm sorry but i think the inspection is pretty important....maybe they are not taking this inspection too seriously (i'm sure they have them all the time too - maybe that's why?), but it could backfire for them in regards to delays and wasted materials etc if they are asked to rectify things.....and they don't.

You should also speak with Kevin about a re-inspection after any re-work has been done so that he can give it his approval and then plastering can commence. That will also keep your builder on their toes.

I hope it works out, that's just my 2 bits.
**Phoenix**
dancelisah
**Phoenix**

Good Luck with it then....are YOU going to be there with Kevin?
I was for our inspection....Kevin will go through things with you so that you have a better understanding of the situation.
If your CSR isn't interested and your S/S wants to palm the responsibility onto the "carpenter".... then i'd try going to the Construction Manager and ask for them to be on-site?

Also remember that the "carpenter" isn't going to be up to speed on slab, plumbing etc. issues (if you have any that is?) So he'll just have to remember to pass on the information to the S/S i suppose?

I'm sorry but i think the inspection is pretty important....maybe they are not taking this inspection too seriously (i'm sure they have them all the time too - maybe that's why?), but it could backfire for them in regards to delays and wasted materials etc if they are asked to rectify things.....and they don't.

You should also speak with Kevin about a re-inspection after any re-work has been done so that he can give it his approval and then plastering can commence. That will also keep your builder on their toes.

I hope it works out, that's just my 2 bits.

Thanks for your 2 bits Phoenix! I will definitely be there for the inspection. It is a good opportunity to look at things properly myself as well. Maybe my SS is so sure the house is perfect that there is no concern about the inspection.
Izzys123
Hello all,

Finally we are about to start building with PD in South East Vic. To all the other Porter Davis customers, did you use Kev the building inspector & if so did he find many faults with PD workmanship? How did PD react to using Big Kev?
Thnx in advance.

Izzys123

Thnx for the replies everyone. I have read other forums on Big Kev. I am trying to work out whether it's worth while to employ Kevin's services so I am really keen to hear from all the Porter Davis customers who have used him to inspect PD workmanship. Thnx Vanderlay for your reply. Is there any other PD customers who have used Kev, was it worthwhile or does Kev find PD to be pretty good in the scheme of things. Clath, how did you find Kev? Perry, r u using Kev? Pls advise.

Thnx
Izzys123
Sorry to be a pain could someone PM me Kevs details!

Thanks
penny73
Sorry to be a pain could someone PM me Kevs details!

Thanks

Pm sent.

Details for anyone else: http://www.newhomeinspections.com.au/
All

Just had a look at Kevin's website and the range of services.

Which stage of the building of a double storey house would you suggest getting Kevin to perform the inspection ?

Thank you
The most common would be Pre plaster and Pre Handover...

If you book both you will probably get a better price.

We also had the above and a few intermediate inspections and one after and a warranty inspection with still probably one more to go!

We like to keep Kev busy!
Related
9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

12/04/2024
Can you use plasterboard for window jambs, reveals, sills?

Windows & Doors

Plasterboard Gyprock is very popular as a reveal liner these days. You need to provide a way of supporting it, we use a modified timber reveal or bracket. You will be…

15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum