Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Independent pre construction tests

Page 1 of 1
Is there any benefit in getting my own soil test, contour, survey and hydraulic designs?

I was hoping that armed with this information I could be more portable when getting tenders from builders, perhaps have the deal sweetened?

Has anybody done this with volume (or not) builders? Did it pay off in the end?
I had a few tenders done through various builders who each insisted on getting soil tests etc done themselves each time and would not even look at the previous. There was also a copy at council but again they wanted their own.

I think the reason is that should the classification be wrong and the builder has offered you a fixed price contract, they have no come back.

The other issue is you can get different results, our block has come back as an M, H and P in various reports. Each builder insists on using what their report specifies.
In W.A., most builders use the same company. We saved about 800 dollars by going through a builder as they receive a significant discount on the prices we were quoted to go direct. We came to an agreement with the builder that we could use those survey results with other builders to get quotes. As our site work costs are significant, this has been quite useful in comparing different builders site costs.
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

24/10/2023
Independent Building Inspectors - I had my first one

Building A New House

That is a really good attitude Akin to you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I do enjoy watching that tik tok inspector from Victoria but he does go a little…

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum