Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Fence - Before or after Build?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,
We have a build coming up early 2014 and are doing the fence ourselves.
I'm thinking Xmas holidays will be a good time to put it up, but what are peoples thoughts about doing it before or after the build?

The closest wall to the fence is about 2m. We will only have 1 side neighbor and no one behind to begin with.
casabonka
Hi Everyone,
We have a build coming up early 2014 and are doing the fence ourselves.
I'm thinking Xmas holidays will be a good time to put it up, but what are peoples thoughts about doing it before or after the build?

The closest wall to the fence is about 2m. We will only have 1 side neighbor and no one behind to begin with.

I would say after. There's a high chance it will take a knock or two during construction.
After.
Hmm, looking like the smart option, few other people have been suggesting afterwards also!
We did it before so when we moved in there was no issues with our puppies and them being able to escape easily. Also meant we could more easily manage the block keeping the grass managed etc before the build started.
Definitely after. Even though 2 metres is a bit of a distance, probably better after the build.
Fence before construction:
Pros- no need for temporary fencing (except on one side), more secure work site, one less thing to organise after handover, presumably you will have the time to do it yourself during the xmas holidays.
Cons- potential for builder to damage fence, possible "double handling" costs from builder due to restricted site access, limited ability to discuss with neighbours or get them to contribute to the cost.

Hope that helps
Actual the temp fence is a good point. Fairhaven knocked off $400 because we completed our rear fence.
Thanks for all the input guys, think I will just save the headaches and do it after hand over
Related
3/10/2023
Building fence before the house

Building A New House

Building a fence now will help limit people dumping rubbish and soil on your property. Many houses in suburbia on small lots have fences up before a build. I moved into a…

3/09/2023
Can you build on both side fence boundaries (Victoria)?

General Discussion

Hey everyone Not for me or anyone I know, just generally interested. For a single allotment house, are you allowed to take the fence on both sides of your house and…

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum