Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a new custom design house - cost ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi.
Recently purchased a flat block of land in southern sydney and wanting to build a custom 300sqm two story house. Looking at different construction materials and wondering if people can give me some idea of costing. Say if house is rectangle with 2* 10m*15m floors. and 8 metres to ceiling high.

All the below to have a concrete ground foor slab. How much should the slab cost ?

Cost for, Full dble brick rendered + timber framed first floor ?
Cost for, Full dble brick rendered + metal framed first floor ?
Cost for, Single brick rendered + metal framed ?
Cost for, Single brick rendered with remaining timber framed ?
Cost for, Single brick rendered ground floor + metal framed and rendered polysteryne walled top floor.

Thanks
How long is a piece of string?

Soil type?

Access?

Quality of finish?

Go talk to some builders/designers/architects depending on how custom you're talking. You'll get far more relevant answers.

Thanks Seano. I know it's a pretty grey question. Maybe just rough cost of building with steel frame over timber frame ? Would this be 10% more ? 50% more ? Any idea's appreciated.
There's no way to give even a rough cost without much more information. You need to talk to some builders - most will be happy to give you a ballpark quote for free.

But if you insist on getting a figure, I would say custom houses 'typically' fall in the $2,000-$4,000/m2 (not square!) range.
Interesting thread.
As a designer we often get asked the same question. How much does it cost? ....Well the answer is simple really. ......
The first ok maybe second question I ask is how much is your budget? $350 000. Well thats how much it will cost. The design should be included that. Same as the slab, the doors, the windows etc.
1. A good designer will design your home to suit your budget
2. You can then put the project out to a number of builders to prepare costings.
3. You selct the best you feel that will provide the best service.

But the key is to get the home designed first. A builder CANNOT tell you how much YOUR home will cost unless they have built the same house before. If your happy with that then you'll know how much it will cost.

Do you want a cheap house or a nice home? With a higher resale / value?

*** Always ensure you engage a suitably qualified, and experienced designer / architect who is licensed and carries all the appropriate insurance.***
Related
1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

13/05/2024
Building a boundary house - up against neighbours house

Building A New House

Good on you for having a go I am the opposite of DIY (so will pay a builder) - our vibe is industrial/simple so current thinking is 150mm concrete and then internally is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum