Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Foam render any good?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Our builder has specified 60mm foam render to some of our external walls (not sure on exact product but guess something like NRG Greenboard or RMAX orangeboard).

The house is a single story- and is using a mix of newport cladding and this foam rendered board. The external walls- including those around our covered alfresco area and deck has the foam render only.

I am concerned with how strong this product is - does it stand up to kicks, balls etc. and if you can still drill and mount items to the wall such as lights, a tv bracket or brackets for a hanging garden.

I have emailed our builder but thought I would ask here if anyone had used this product before and would recommend it?

Realise the answer to this may well depend on what specific product the builder is using- once I find out I'll put an update on this question.

Cheers.
Hi Konrad,

Not sure if you went ahead with rendering your house using polystyrene (compressed foam) but I've been told that it cracks much more than blueboard.

Foam is more likely to flex if its going to be hit by a ball and we all know, flexing render will cause it to crack.
Related
2/02/2024
Patching Holes in EPS foam walls

Renovation + Home Improvement

Oh no! I would use a can of expandable foam ( there are some that will take render) then cut it back and render over the top

18/04/2024
Does concrete foam filler need to be sealed?

Building A New House

There is nothing in the various codes and standards that puts this requirement on the builder to do. I think that is what you are asking. Don't waste time trying to get…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum