Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Redink South West in Myalup

Page 1 of 7
Well finally our build with Redink SW is on its way.
I have been following quite a few builds and have gleaned some valuable info from the posts here.

This is our first build. Lived mostly in an old house in Mount Lawley which I loved and for the last 7yrs have rented a hospital house in Exmouth - home of the Ningaloo Reef.
Great as Exmouth is it is a very long way from our build in Myalup. We have engaged an independent building inspector whom was recommended to us from someone in the forums here.

We bought our land in Myalup approx 11 years ago.
We put down a deposit with Rural Building Company to build one of the Bushland Retreat homes. Had plans altered to suit our needs and was going to visit the block with the architect . Unfortunately architect returned to Sydney and when we went to RBC offices they had no record of us at all. Disappointed we decided to leave it and look elsewhere.

The building boom was just starting and it was hard to get someone to build in Myalup which is approx 30 min drive North of Bunbury and the smaller builders though happy to build a house to design we made, were way to expensive. So the plan to build were shelved for a quite a few years.

January 2012 we were on the way to build our dream rammed limestone home. We got the contract sent to Tasmania where we were having our long service leave and it was already to be build once the building permit was obtained.
The builder however was not able to get builders indemnity insurance so that was the end of that build. We were very lucky as the builder folded shortly afterwards and left quite a few uncompleted houses.
So it is third time lucky for us.

Grant from Redink was fabulous and was very busy customising one of the plans and added a loft area as well. Can not speak highly enough of Grant. He was the main reason we decided to go with Redink. We exchanged numerous emails with Grant and Sue our press start person. In fact I came to believe that was it, endless planning with the house never to be built. My health has been very poor for a number of years so very difficult trying to get things together I think I nearly drove OH mad.

Heard from Redink on Monday that our slab was laid either last Thurs or Fri when there finally was a break in the rain.
The soak wells were installed today and the guy from Filtrex rang to say that they will start installing the septics tomorrow. He has also agreed to take some photos of our slab for us

This is all going very fast now after a very slow start. We had our pre-start meeting in early March. Most of the delay down to us still getting new quotes etc. for things like Blum Drawers , freaking out about the colour selection etc. Very hard being so far away. The selection at pre-start was all very hazy as still feeling the affects of the long drive down from Exmouth. Made longer by all the stops to let the dog out.

Well that is is sorry for the long ramble. Promise I will not do it again.
Hope to post my floor plans when I have figured out how to do this.
All help gladly accepted.
Wow jibs what a journey you've been through.

Welcome and as they say around here conslabulations.

Would love to see some plans and pics.

PS

I love Myalup and am very jealous of your location.
Thank you AKB

I will try and post plans and pics.
Here is the elevations drawings and the second one shows in red the rough outline of the updated triangle loft window

Here is the floor plans of our new build - ground and loft.

The little hamlet of Myalup

Our block pre slab

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy161/jibsoz3/Myalup/991db7b1b16e6fb3095afede35168053_zps0c8509c8.jpg
Slab has been laid
Photo courtest of Filtrex guy as unfortunately too far away to see our block
Beautiful spot jibs I'm very jealous
Very nice spot from the pics. Must go check out Myalup as it looks lovely. Was just reminiscing about Myalup with Mum on Friday as we drove past the servo on the hwy. My folks had considered moving there about 10 years ago. Decided not to as it was away from our kids( their grand kids) and now we live down here and so does mum. ( Dad having since passed away)

I look forward to following your build.
Thanks AKB and Kexkez
Yes we love it. It is not too far away from Bunbury Mandurah or Harvey. Exmouth although an amazing place is very isolated.Will miss having the supermarket so close, but will not miss the cyclone season and the heat. Will be a bit of a battle come winter as really no winter for nearly 8 years.
Our block backs onto a small nature reserve which has Yalgorup Nation Park and Lake Preston behind that. At the end of the cul de sac there is Lake Josephine which only has water in winter. The beach is just a couple of minutes away, which is fantastic.
Exmouth to Myalup that will be a change.....

We are at the Novotel in Exmouth last time we were up that way and I had the watermelon Sashimi it was to die for......I tried to recreate it at home FAIL
Oh Watermelon Sashimi never heard of it before will have to go and try it out AKB.

Our construction manager left a message on voice mail last Friday. The bricks and stuff should be delivered midweek and brickwork to start towards the end of the week.
Oh it is all happening and I just want to go and have a peek.

Well the warm weather has begun 39deg today. Oh not looking forward to the very hot weather and the cyclone season.
That's great news re bricks and Brickies
Hope those brickies are busy working on your house! Wow, 39 degrees already. I love the heat here in Perth, but I've never been a big fan of the humidity
Well we are lucky in Exmouth that we have a dry heat except when a cyclone is in the area. Mind you with the very warm ocean last summer it did make it more humid even the die hard locals who have lived here for years were complaining.

Oh I do hope that the brickies have started I need a web cam on my block so I can see what is going on.
Anyway you can get to know a neighbour and ask them to take a few pics and email them to you? I know others have done that here.
What made you decide to move from exmouth? that's such a big change.
Good idea Kexkez. When we are next down will check to see if one lovely couple we met are still there and hopefully they can keep us up to date. We have got a few photos from our Independent Building Inspector wanted to put them on here but on PDF and can not copy them

We have lived in Exmouth for nearly 8 years, my husband works as the community mental health practitioner and he will be retiring in a year or two . We bought our block 11 years ago. We plan to live in Myalup till get really old then move back to Mount Lawley. Our son rents it at present. Very handy as when in Perth leave our Groodle with him - he too has a Groodle ( standard poodle cross with a Golden Retriever).
Exmouth is lovely but, it is very isolated and it is very expensive to both buy a house here and the cost of living is very high. My son lives in Perth so it will be wonderful to live nearer to him and also too my family and old friends. I do not work at present due to health reasons, but if and when I can work opportunities in mental health are better for me down south.
Well the brick work is in progress !!!!

Will post pics that the SS sent.

Also got email to say that our Clarke kitchen sink with accessories is on the hit list. No longer available so have to reselect.
Very hard here in Exmouth as no sinks to view.

Can anyone suggest a great sink
Looks amazing!!

Which Clarke sink did you have? Perhaps check the website and see if there is something similar? We have one of the Clarke undermount sinks, pretty happy with it after 5 weeks
Great news re Brickies

Sorry can't help re sink
there are so many to choose from
with the pdf maybe scroll to a pic. do a print screen and load it into a photo viewer. ( am lazy and use irfanview which is free) save it then upload.

People down the road from us have a groodle and a labradoodle. spotted them because the brickies working on the house next to them asked us if someone was breeding them as we have a same colour labradoodle as their 2 dogs. I'm sure your groodle will love the cooler weather as well and then beach
Related
15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

21/05/2024
Building a flame zone house in West Pymble on a steep site

Building A New House

Hi Everyone, One of my favourite parts of a build is when the temporary fence comes down and the home begins to reveal itself. It also means we are on the home straight…

9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum