Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Fairmont in SA - Turin

Page 1 of 1
Hey all

I've constantly been looking through posts in here about peoples' building experiences and so far they have answered every question we have had... Great to have being first time builders!

I would love to get involved now our own build is getting started
we have just had the slab poured!

Are there many people who have built or are building with Fairmont in the Southern Suburbs?

Overall we have been really happy with them so far (price, making changes to the plans, selections etc.). Our only real issue has been with the soil removal - the company that they recommended have charged more than $6,500 and said they took 212tonnes which seems very excessive for a fairly flat 375square meter block. However Fairmont have been investigating it for the past week for us so we'll see how it all works out
Welcome! I am building with the same builder in the inner southern suburbs. Would love to hear about your selections. Congrats on your slab
Hi E_Devs, where abouts are you building? How flat was the block? The Turin looks to be about 200sqm so you would think it would need to be a half decent slope to dig out 200 tons. $30 a ton removal sounds a little on the high end, however that's what we were quoted from a separate job from a landscaper.

Do you have a photo of the cut?
Welcome E_Devs! im building with fairmonts too. That does sound like a lot of $$$ for soil removal.
Love the Turin plan, looking forward to following your build
Thank you all

We are building in Woodcroft, in the new development. We have always wanted to live in Woodcroft so very happy

Eli, it's difficult to say because there is a hill at back, which is 900mm but they cut up diagonally so they didn't actually cut that much out of it and the slope of it doesn't start until past halfway back. I don't know if these pics help (let me know if they don't work I haven't done this before)?

They said they took 110T from footings, 90T from the cut (at $25 per tonne) and 12T of grass (at $80 per tonne)... We even modified the Turin a little - we switched the laundry and study around and reduced the study which gave us more backyard - we want it big enough for a dog
so it's only 160sqm in total!!

Also, there are project managers handling other builds in our street (who I called) and they are disputing the soil removal as well because they have never seen it so high (they have never done it through this company before) so should be interesting to see what happens, we were only expecting around $1000 so the bill was a huge shock!
Thank You FairmontSACustom! Where are you up to with your build????

We went with dune render on the exterior, a woodland grey Colorbond roof, Colorbond Cedar timber look garage, and matching stained door!!

Inside we wen't quite neutral with browns and greys... 'Catalana Marble Diamond Gloss' benchtop and a light blue splashback. We will be getting oak coloured floating floorboards too...

I'm so happy with all our selections
misslibe
Welcome E_Devs! im building with fairmonts too. That does sound like a lot of $$$ for soil removal.
Love the Turin plan, looking forward to following your build

Thanks

We absolutely love the Turin, every time we go to the display we get very excited about living in our very own! I'm looking forward to following your build as well!!

Yes, hopefully we get a response from Fairmont about the soil removal soon! They have replied twice saying they are still looking into it so it does seem like there is something going on.
E_Devs
Thank you all

We are building in Woodcroft, in the new development. We have always wanted to live in Woodcroft so very happy

Eli, it's difficult to say because there is a hill at back, which is 900mm but they cut up diagonally so they didn't actually cut that much out of it and the slope of it doesn't start until past halfway back. I don't know if these pics help (let me know if they don't work I haven't done this before)?

They said they took 110T from footings, 90T from the cut (at $25 per tonne) and 12T of grass (at $80 per tonne)... We even modified the Turin a little - we switched the laundry and study around and reduced the study which gave us more backyard - we want it big enough for a dog

Also, there are project managers handling other builds in our street (who I called) and they are disputing the soil removal as well because they have never seen it so high (they have never done it through this company before) so should be interesting to see what happens, we were only expecting around $1000 so the bill was a huge shock!

Images worked fine. I'm not really enough of an expert to comment too much, although we were told roughly the same from our footings. Bit hard to tell with that 900mm in there, but wait and see what Fairmont say.

We have dune/jasper render, woodland grey roof, dune fascias, dark(er) cedar roller door and front door also. I'm guessing you went the lighter cedar on your roller door and front door, as they wouldn't stain our front door the darker colour?
Eli_
E_Devs
Thank you all

Images worked fine. I'm not really enough of an expert to comment too much, although we were told roughly the same from our footings. Bit hard to tell with that 900mm in there, but wait and see what Fairmont say.

We have dune/jasper render, woodland grey roof, dune fascias, dark(er) cedar roller door and front door also. I'm guessing you went the lighter cedar on your roller door and front door, as they wouldn't stain our front door the darker colour?

Wow, great minds think alike!

Yes we went the lighter of the two colours. We had originally picked that one so it was just a bonus they could match it to the front door.
Your selections sound lovely, cant wait to see it come together.

We have just had windows installed and hoping for bricks next week

There are a few people building in Woodcroft, lovely area.
Hi all,
Just an update for you! We ended up getting approx $2,700 off our soil removal as a 'goodwill gesture' paid by both Fairmont and the soil removal company.
Also, we now have our frame and gutters up
it's feeling real now!
It's all happening very fast our neighbours who are about a week ahead of us have already had their bricks delivered! Our ETC date is late March but according to the letter Fairmont gave to Revenue SA they said it would take 18weeks - which is mid Jan so could be done anytime between them I'm thinking!
How is everyone elses build going??
Great news about the soil removal! We have bricks and roof but not much else. Our finish date is March although our ss said xmas. next year
as a semi joke.
Hi there, ive just caught up on your build, I'm building in woodcroft just up the road from the new development actually.

Im glad u got some good news in relation to the soil removal, I had just over 200tonne removed when they cut my block and it cost me just over $7000. I was definately annoyed that they werent clearer at the start about the additional cost of removal!!

Your house sounds like its really moving along, cant wait to hear more about the progress
FairmontSAcustom
Great news about the soil removal! We have bricks and roof but not much else. Our finish date is March although our ss said xmas. next year
as a semi joke.

Haha I hope you don't have to wait that long!!

That's interesting - our finish date is supposed to be late March too and we are a little way behind by the sound of it. Although I went and had a look again today and we now have a roof and windows!
firsthomebuilder44
Hi there, ive just caught up on your build, I'm building in woodcroft just up the road from the new development actually.

Im glad u got some good news in relation to the soil removal, I had just over 200tonne removed when they cut my block and it cost me just over $7000. I was definately annoyed that they werent clearer at the start about the additional cost of removal!!

Your house sounds like its really moving along, cant wait to hear more about the progress

Very exciting! Woodcroft is such a lovely place

Wow that is really expensive! I agree, they really should give some warning that it will be so much at the start, it is such a shock when the bill comes through.

I hope your build is going well otherwise and that was the only shock!
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum