Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

AM I ROBBED?

Page 1 of 2
I just got a flat land in NSW and got a tender from my builder. A famous one.
House is 200sm living and 240sm building
Here is the price summaries (Excl. basic house price):

Site cost:20000
Building allowance: 3000
Basix requirement (water tank):12000
council requirement: 6000
remove trees(2): 3000
Bushfire attack level(12.5-19): 9000

driveway: 9000
raise ceiling(2.4m to 2.7m): 7800

Sounds reasonable? I quite doubt that.
Anyone have a similar cost on a flat land?
Just because a block is flat, doesn't make it cheap to build on! My flat block cost $40k in earthworks!!

Not sure about the other stuff sorry!
driveway depends on what sort you are looking at mine is for a triple garage in aggregate and cost 9500
water tank again depending on size 12000 seems alot
littlefox80

This will be a rip off as plumbers, councils and the building company rarely have any idea plus advantage is taken of the new home owners as they lack the required knowledge. Most people also end up with a sub standard and sometimes non compliant system.

I take it that the onsite storage has a requirement for bush fire detention. How big is the required tank?
I was thinking that the basix requirement might also include all the storm water pipes that surround your slab... Different builders breakdown their costs differently.
1rocky
driveway depends on what sort you are looking at mine is for a triple garage in aggregate and cost 9500
water tank again depending on size 12000 seems alot

mine is double garage and drive way will be 5m in length
SaveH2O
littlefox80

This will be a rip off as plumbers, councils and the building company rarely have any idea plus advantage is taken of the new home owners as they lack the required knowledge. Most people also end up with a sub standard and sometimes non compliant system.

I take it that the onsite storage has a requirement for bush fire detention. How big is the required tank?

water tank I think is 5000 L
littlefox80

May know who is your builder and your location? I just removed 1 tree today, cost me 650$
Water tank for mine, 3000ltr slimline tank 7800$
We were quoted around $5,500 for a 5000 litre slimline water tank and pump from our builder, I got my own quotes and can get the same tank and pump for $1700. I'd suggest taking it out of the contract (tell them you will supply your own tank). Also I'd look at getting your own quote for the driveway, ring around a few concreters you will get it much cheaper. How big are the trees? We had a couple of small trees removed for $200, again ring around!!
Cameron32

Unjustified expense. Probably $4k too much. If you post a photo, I will give you an evaluation of the install.

sal032
We were quoted around $5,500 for a 5000 litre slimline water tank and pump from our builder, I got my own quotes and can get the same tank and pump for $1700.

This is what I like to hear but was the $5,500 just for the tank and pump?

littlefox80,

Do you want to start a specific thread in the Eco Living sub forum in regards to your tank? You have asked about several things and it gets messy on the one thread. Threads like this in the "Building a new house" sub forum tend to get lost.
$5500 was the tank and pump installed. Actually I just remembered they did charge me an extra $800 for upgraded downpipes to install the tank I supplied but it still worked out a lot cheaper than $5500.
I think we need more understanding of the inclusions for each section.

We're upgrading the water supply in our home - instead of down pipes leading out to storm water management (or the ground) we're "upgrading" to allow for water collection, we'll supply our own tank and pump, and then the builder is plumbing in two taps for rainwater (one in the kitchen, one on the outside of the house). So he's making sure the gutters are set up for collection correctly and feeding it back in, we're doing the storage. What are you getting/doing vs the builder?
sal032
$5500 was the tank and pump installed. Actually I just remembered they did charge me an extra $800 for upgraded downpipes to install the tank I supplied

I assume that they used 90 mm round PVCu pipe. This is little more than $2 per metre.

It is hard to comment accurately on the $800 mentioned but this sounds unbelievably good as you probably had a slab, the tank overflow to connect to storm water and the plumbing costs for connecting to the toilet(s) as well as other items like a pump cover and an outside power point.
sal032
We were quoted around $5,500 for a 5000 litre slimline water tank and pump from our builder, I got my own quotes and can get the same tank and pump for $1700. I'd suggest taking it out of the contract (tell them you will supply your own tank). Also I'd look at getting your own quote for the driveway, ring around a few concreters you will get it much cheaper. How big are the trees? We had a couple of small trees removed for $200, again ring around!!

Thanks for these! I just found I really know nothing ...
Cameron32
littlefox80

May know who is your builder and your location? I just removed 1 tree today, cost me 650$

builder is BW, newcastle ... I left a message on you blog ...
Beechwood charged same as your cost to mine, does't matter how much fall in your block
That's why after got a tender, move to allworth homes. Did you try other project builders?
What design you choose with BW?
SaveH2O
Cameron32

Unjustified expense. Probably $4k too much. If you post a photo, I will give you an evaluation of the install.

sal032
We were quoted around $5,500 for a 5000 litre slimline water tank and pump from our builder, I got my own quotes and can get the same tank and pump for $1700.

This is what I like to hear but was the $5,500 just for the tank and pump?

littlefox80,

Do you want to start a specific thread in the Eco Living sub forum in regards to your tank? You have asked about several things and it gets messy on the one thread. Threads like this in the "Building a new house" sub forum tend to get lost.

Mate, most of the project builders charged too much on the Basix requirements and site cost
MjH quoted us $8500 for a poly 10,000 liter tank which was over what we needed for basix. We were also quoted $3500 for temp fencing. At the most temp fencing is $10/m so they expected to use 350m - I don't think so.

I asked on the tank and the fencing if we could supply our own and the answer was no.

We ended up going with another builder (not for that reason though)
SaveH2O
sal032
$5500 was the tank and pump installed. Actually I just remembered they did charge me an extra $800 for upgraded downpipes to install the tank I supplied

I assume that they used 90 mm round PVCu pipe. This is little more than $2 per metre.

It is hard to comment accurately on the $800 mentioned but this sounds unbelievably good as you probably had a slab, the tank overflow to connect to storm water and the plumbing costs for connecting to the toilet(s) as well as other items like a pump cover and an outside power point.

The pipe was quoted as "Up to 35 meters of 100mm diameter round DWV PVC downpipes with rectangular downpipe pop on home for rainwater tank use". The $800 also included plumbing for connections to toilets and main water supply (incase the tank gets low), connection to stormwater and an outdoor powerpoint. We are to supply the tank, pump (and cover), and prepare the base.
Just to put it into perspective

I am considering my second tank and in Tassie, Tankworld is offering 10000 l tank with pump for $ 1640 delivered

http://www.tankworldtas.com.au/specials.html

Add for tank base and connections
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum