Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Commodore Homes Build in Wellard WA - Moved in!!

Page 1 of 24
Hi All,
Well we are right at the start of the house building process but thought I would start a thread as I am still not 100% at my house plan
!! I love it but am slightly concerned by our 4th bedroom size! Its only going to be a spare room but would really need to fit a queen bed in and storage!

Anyway quick history, after looking for ages and meeting with several builders we finally managed to secure a block in the Village at Wellard. It all ended up happening really quickly, met with the sales guy from Commodore on the Tues as I had seen their Mix & Match range online and really liked it, he managed to find us a block and secure it for us that Friday and we signed for the block and the builder preliminary quotation document on the Sunday, this was on the 19th May this year. It was all rather rushed that day as my OH was going out but having had a lot of time to look over the plans since I have been worrying about the 4th bedroom!! We did make several changes to the original plan, including increasing the size of the kitchen, moving the pantry location to make the Activity bigger and put double sinks in the ensuite.

I have attached (hopefully) the house plan so any comments would be appreciated
Oh and our land titles aren't supposed to be released until October this year so in for a long wait!!

Thanks,

Timeline:
14/05/13 - Met with sales rep from C homes
19/05/13 - Secured block in Village at Wellard, deposit paid
- Signed Preliminary contract with builder, deposit paid
15/06/13 - Met with mortgage broker to sign mortgage documents
22/06/13 - Got mortgage Pre-approval

04/09/13 - Mortgage Approved
25/02/14 - Land titles finally issued
18/03/14 - Settlement on land
14/04/14 - Remaining contracts signed
21/05/14 - Prestart
24/05/14 - Tap
27/05/14 - Final paperwork ready - Tap gone
!!
30/06/14 - Scheduling
01/08/14 - Siteworks commenced
13/08/14 - SLAB!!!!
19/08/14 - Soakwells delivered
21/08/14 - Frames delivered
20/09/14 - Bricks delivered
26/11/14 - Bricks STARTED!!!!!
22/01/15 - Brickwork Completed
27/02/15 - Roof frame delivered
09/03/15 - Roof finally started!
08/04/15 - Roof tiles ALMOST finished!!
13/04/15 - Roof finished
17/04/15 - Grey plaster float completed
22/04/15 - Ceilings installed
23/04/15 - Windows in
29/04/15 - White set
30/04/15 - Cornices and bath tub, laundry sink and doors delivered
01/05/15 - Lock up

06/05/15 - Doors on, wardrobe fittings in and cabinets in

19/05/15 - Tiling completed
20/05/15 - Feature walls done
28/05/15 - Taps/Showers/Toilets done, Electrics internally completed, Oven in, Insulation in
04/06/15 - Internal doors painted and glossed
08/06/15 - Paving complete (except cross over)
09/06/15 - Power and gas connected, stove top installed and hot water unit installed
12/06/15 - Flooring started

22/06/15 - Blinds mostly in
02/07/15 - PCI Completed
21/07/15 - KEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24/07/15 - Finally moved in
Welcome. We are building with C homes as well. We built with them back in 2012 as well. If you want any ideas on cost of things or timelines or anything let me know
Thanks and I will probably have lots of questions for you soon enough
Just realised that my plan is quite small so measurements of rooms might not be very clear, but the room size I was slightly concerned with is actually listed as bedroom 2 and the measurements are 2900 * 2700. I am hoping a queen bed and at least 1, although preferably 2 bedside tables will fit but have a feeling it could be tight!

Also further info on timeline is below

14/05/13 - Met with sales rep from C homes
19/05/13 - Secured block in Village at Wellard, deposit paid
- Signed Preliminary contract with builder, deposit paid
15/06/13 - Met with mortgage broker to sign mortgage documents
22/06/13 - Got mortgage Pre-approval
That's prob bout size of my kids current rooms. Queen prob gonna be a tight squeeze but if its only guest room will prob be fine.
Draw up the room to scale on paper and then draw furniture and bedsides to scale and youll soon work it out
To make it bigger you could get rid of the WIR put the door into the bedroom Kind of where it is now. You'd just have to move the entrance into that part of the house up the wall a bit. The bedroom door would run in line with the laundry wall that bedroom shares and you just have to change the 'hallway' door as the current opening would become part of the bedroom.

Just am idea. You end up with a much bigger room that way...
I think fmac's idea is a good one. Move the opening through to the bedrooms up towards where the laundry door is then have the door at right angles to where it is now, at the end of the corridor. Your robe could be along the rest of the wall, similar to the type in the other bedrooms.
Such a simple idea that creates so much more space!
And shouldn't cost anything, as you aren't actually adding any more walls, only moving??

My build: viewtopic.php?t=62001
Thanks for the suggestions guys think I will look into doing that
So I emailed the following amendment to my sales guy and he has quoted $400 for the change to Bed 2, think we will go ahead with it though as it does make a huge difference to the bedroom size.

Looks a lot bigger!

Depending how pushy you want to be, I'd be questioning where the extra cost is coming from. The variation means you will actually be using less bricks than the original as two nib walls are removed. Surely that would offset any extra shelving in the robe, which looks minimal and the labor in laying them.
Anyway, it can't hurt to ask for it to be justified. Thats $400 you could spend elsewhere!

Thanks for that, I have emailed my sales guy to ask
as you say I could use that $400 elsewhere!!
So apparently the $400 is for the sliding door robes!! Is that the usual cost for sliding door robes??!!
Ahhh true.
I know there was an upgrade cost for sliding doors, I can't recall the exact amount off the top of my head though.

So still nowhere close to starting the build BUT was very happy to have discovered yesterday that the road leading up to our plot has finally been opened so at least now we can get abit better look at it!! There is still fencing at the back end of our plot and the road finishes there too but before we could only view it from a distance. I know its not much of a development but it made me happy lol
So just got an email yesterday to say our Titles which were due in October, are now delayed until January 2014
The developer said it was something to do with needing to add in new sewer lines or something, but still its a major pain
sinurt
So just got an email yesterday to say our Titles which were due in October, are now delayed until January 2014
The developer said it was something to do with needing to add in new sewer lines or something, but still its a major pain

Ah
That is a pain, especially when October was drawing very close! January is a bit of a wait, I agree, but more time to save?
So despite the land titles being delayed we were trying to get our mortgage approval done before our pre-approval expires, so the builders are getting the final contracts ready for us. However got an email on Thursday with a new VR to sign and a totally un-expected cost on it which I am not happy about.

Basically our land is a corner block and we specifically asked if there were any extra costs involved in this - sales guy said No. In early June however he realises we need to do something on the side to comply with the developers guidelines so he sends a VR for a feature brick on the side with an extra window - "At no cost to the client". However in the VR he sent on Friday he is now charging us $1800 for this
!!!! I emailed back asking why and am still waiting for a response - I would phone but would rather have it in writing as I am really p*ssed off about this and very tempted just to walk away!!!
That's terrible!! Do you are in writing there wouldn't be a cost?
We had a similar issue with our render, they were going to do the redraw and include render and we had to pay a reduced fee of $250. Variation arrived for over $600!! I sent an email through and they did actually credit back for the extra charges.

I hope something similar happens for you!!
fmac
That's terrible!! Do you are in writing there wouldn't be a cost?
We had a similar issue with our render, they were going to do the redraw and include render and we had to pay a reduced fee of $250. Variation arrived for over $600!! I sent an email through and they did actually credit back for the extra charges.

I hope something similar happens for you!!

Yip we have the original VR with the wall and window added in (from June) with it clearly stating at no cost to client so not sure why he has suddenly sent this new VR. The latest one though has also the wardrobe doors in it reduced from $400 to $349, but I think I would rather pay $400 for the wardrobes rather than the $1800 for the wall!!
Oh nope actually just looked at it again, he has put $349 in the VR for the wardrobes BUT in the overall cost breakdown he has the wardrobes in at $749!!!!
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

9/10/2023
No Interim Occupation Certificate - NSW but moved in

General Discussion

Hi Simeon, Thank you for laying it down for us. Makes sense. Appreciate it very much. Have a nice day. Cheers

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum