Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need Suggestion about building our new house with Eden Brae

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I am building my new house with EB. We decided to built Manchester 22 (single story). It was in our budget and also we are only two person, don't need a huge house as our first home. We wanted to add ducted aircon in our package but it's not included with our house. EB gave us quote for $10,800 for Actron 11.5kw.

I have checked with couple of company and one of them gave me quote for $7800 Actron 13kw. It includes everything and 5yrs warranty. Few of my friends told me to install ducted air con after handover. Single story much easier to install ducted than double story.

I need help with decide whether i should go with EB to spend $3000 more or do it by myself with outside company as both giving same brand air con. plz help!!!
I would say if you are building a single story, do it yourself after handover since the saving is quite significant! Builders always add a mark up on top of all upgrades (that is how they make their profits). However, if you want to move into a fully finished house straight away (not wait to get all the extra things done) then consider if $3,000 isn't too much to pay for the peace of mind of having it all done without you having to organise anything.
We had a similar cost saving for doing it ourselves after handover but decided to get aircon through the builder as our build should be finished by the start of December and we already have things like window fittings and flooring that we're doing ourselves so decided at the end of the day the convenience was the key factor.
We went for the later install which worked well.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you have ducted heating you should be able to use the same ducts as long as you pay the builder to get the size increased.
Thank you guys for your ideas. If i save $3000 then i decided to spend that money to upgrade something else which could be floor or kitchen.

Does anyone have idea about cost of timber flooring. As our house comes with tiles and carpet in bed rooms. We want to upgrade to timber floor throughout the house.
one of the sales person from EB told me they charge 25% extra whatever the price is. that's why they always expensive
Our builder's mark up was 20%, but you have to weigh up convenience.

Our air con package was $1 when we signed up... Having seen the whole process going in during construction. I would get it done. Even paying the amount you have been quoted. Depending on what roof you get, We got tiles... You wouldn't want your sarking ruined during installation with another company. They have to lift major/ heavy equipment into our roof. Paintwork could be ruined. This process gets done before gyprock when in construction.

I have found post handover there are lots of things you need to stay home for... If you are like me, I also had to clean up my old house and now put it in the market. I have spent the last two weeks on leave most often stretching myself between two properties. We haven't got a clothesline in yet, landscaping still to do. Think about moving costs, insurance, connection fees for phone, letterbox, new furniture, blinds... Depending in when you due to move in, it may be one less thing you have to worry about.

You have already mentioned getting flooring done post handover. Again, I would talk with the sales staff at Di Lorenzo. They will negotiate prices... We upgraded carpet and got the better underlay thrown in. Cause then you need to think about floor level in kitchen and skirting throughout home, we had marks on he skirting from laying tools but because it was done in the build. Our SS organised the painter to do touchups.

In the end it is your decision, but for convenience sake I would recommend getting it as part of the build.
Related
5/04/2024
Eden Brae Homes Feedback

Building A New House

I built with EB back on 2009. Check out this thread on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12911&p=154061#p154061 I can't speak for recent expericience however, we had no…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

15/01/2024
Hall Way Lighting Suggestion

Lighting + Lighting Design

I have a really long hallway which is 1100mm W x 11500mm L I would appreciate if anyone can give suggestions to light it up with Linear LED lights that goes from wall to…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum