Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Wouldnt it be nice if the world was chocoloate?

Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

What do you think of these bricks? I liked these two and would flush mortar be the way to go?

1. This is a PGH brick called loam matt texture but we cant have this as with my builder have to choose from Austral bricks range. So if anyone knows a which is a similar brick in the Austral range pls let me know.

Image 1:

2.This one below is Austral brick Mahogany. Do you think this would look good with
Windows: stonebeige
Fascia: paperbark
Roof: Chocolate brown terracotta tiles
Eaves: Dont know wht to do

Image 2:

Thanks
Raz
I agree, i will choose the first one over the second. I like cleaner and crisper look. Cant help you with the quert though.
Raz
1. This is a PGH brick called loam matt texture but we cant have this as with my builder have to choose from Austral bricks range. So if anyone knows a which is a similar brick in the Austral range pls let me know.

We looked at the Austral bricks a few weeks ago as we are also using them. I think the Urban One "Chocolate" is probably the closest match.

We're probably going with the Settlers Latrobe brick ourselves as we like the blue colour variations in the brick, which should go nicely with a darker roof.
Hi Raz,

Yeah I'd look at Urban One Chocolate or Latte.

We're trying to decide between Latte and Nougat.
I like the first choice. It looks neater.
oznow,Djelibeybi, Rachelle and Sammy,

Thanks so much for your replies. There is consensus on the bricks so the way to go is chocolate.

I talked with Austral bricks and they said that a new company was going to manufacture the urban range and there will be colour variations. As yet they did not have a wall to show the new colours-

If you have any suggestions for Render for the front porch I would appreciate this.

Thanks

Raz
Just my opinion but those plain bricks look like the 70's and 80's housing commision places around here. Think "Mission Brown".
I much prefer variation in bricks - but as I said, that is my opinion.\

Ray.
Hi First_timer_ray.

When I was looking at homes to buy I saw a lot of " Mission Brown" older homes and the agent would always apologise for them

However I saw a number of the Petit and Sevitt homes in the same colour for which people are happy to pay extra.

The housing commission homes would proabably have used all the brick colours from red to brown I think..

I am now thinking of using a chocolate brick with Dune for the windows. Lets see... really hard to make decisions!!!

Thanks

Raz
Kaz, just checked out my pgh brochure. The loam matte texture in the brochure is a lot darker than your photo. I know computer colours can be deceiving,as can reproduced photos, but you don't think that your photo could possibly be 'mild steel' instead??
Hi Raz,

Aren't you given a list (by Austral) of houses where they used those bricks?
Same as Ray, I'm not a fan of plain bricks, although there are houses that would suit those bricks, like the 1st one that you posted.
I also like the 2nd one. It would actually depend on the facade of your house and the look that you're after.
Hi Raz,

This is my response to your question on my thread.

I had a look at Austral's website and based on the images there, I like:
- Classic Range Brown
- Metropolis Topaz - looks similar to the PGH brick loam matt texture that you posted on another thread. If you like that brick, I think this is almost similar.
- Mahogany - based on the photo of house that you posted on another thread, this one looks similar to our Hawthorn. But, when I had a look at Austral's website, the specks appear too much and colour black. Hawthorn has blue specs.

The problem is, I based my opinion on the images on screen, which can be deceiving.

When we decided to go for Hawthorn, it took us several visits to different display homes and actual houses where they have this brick.
What really convinced us to choose this brick was M's display home where they used off-white mortar and timber windows to the front.
And because we are having same windows to the front, then we could more or less imagine how it would look in our house.

In your case, if you saw the Mahogany in flesh and love it, then go for it.
But if you want the look of that PGH brick loam matt texture brick, then have a look at Metropolis Topaz, as it looks similar on the net. It is important though to see a house using that brick.

With the Classic Range Brown, I noticed that it has lesser specks than the Mahogany, thus, looks cleaner.

There were a couple of people who liked the Urban Chocolate. It's nice too, but I've seen a house where they used that brick with an off-white mortar and the mortar wasn't done properly (lots of smudges). And because it was off-white, it was too evident - looks dirty. But if done properly, I like this brick.

Re: the mortar, we really love flush off-white one, but our SS and SM suggested to go for rolled because it would look better, as the slight differences on the size of the bricks wouldn't be too obvious. It would create a cleaner look, which I agree, because our neighbour has rolled mortar and it looks sensational - very clean and sleek.
I prefer the first one...its has a more defined/elegant look...it looks more modern as well...the second one looks a little like *so sorry to say this* but poor workmanship somehow? it doesnt have a clean finish...perhaps that's part of the look the owners were going for...but somehow it reminds me a little of Amityville horror...goodness i am evil

But seriously if the world was trully made of chocolate, horrendous sitecost would be a thing of the past....as we'd just eat our way through the boulders....invite friends and family over and it would be choc buffet
I think in the 2nd photo, the brick used was 50mm as opposed to the standard 76mm (which was used in the 1st photo).
Because the mortar used was flush off-white and the bricks were too small, the mortar dominated the look of the house.
Southies
Kaz, just checked out my pgh brochure. The loam matte texture in the brochure is a lot darker than your photo. I know computer colours can be deceiving,as can reproduced photos, but you don't think that your photo could possibly be 'mild steel' instead??

Hi Southies,

My friend had actually asked the builder and that what he said but.. I will check this.

Thanks

Raz
VJ

Aren't you given a list (by Austral) of houses where they used those bricks?
Same as Ray, I'm not a fan of plain bricks, although there are houses that would suit those bricks, like the 1st one that you posted.
I also like the 2nd one. It would actually depend on the facade of your house and the look that you're after.

Hi VJ,
Austral said they would fax me a list of houses... still waiting...
I want to create a modern facade but not too modern as I am building in an established area.

I like smooth bricks and Mahogany isnt that smooth.( they do have a similar brick in Symmetry range which is dearer)

Raz

Raz
blessedpeople
I prefer the first one...its has a more defined/elegant look...it looks more modern as well...the second one looks a little like *so sorry to say this* but poor workmanship somehow? it doesnt have a clean finish...perhaps that's part of the look the owners were going for...but somehow it reminds me a little of Amityville horror...goodness i am evil

But seriously if the world was trully made of chocolate, horrendous sitecost would be a thing of the past....as we'd just eat our way through the boulders....invite friends and family over and it would be choc buffet

Hi blessedpeople,

Had a quick look at the Amityville house of horrors. It does look like that infamous house CreeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEpy!!!
I will never say no to a choc buffet. Love all chocs.

Raz
VJ,

Thanks for all the info on the bricks. The second one does look like a smaller brick.
I have noted your comment in my " notes on bricks" -With flush mortar it has to be done really well or can look untidy esp with size variations in bricks. Ironed mortar looks good too. Austral in Sydney didnt use the word rolled. They said flush, ironed or raked.

I intend to go to Austral again and look carefully at the ones you have mentioned.

Raz
Quote:
I intend to go to Austral again and look carefully at the ones you have mentioned.

It's good if you can have the list from Austral and check out houses that made use of the bricks that you like.

If you are after a smooth finish, then mahogany isn't for you.
Topaz looks nice on screen, I hope it's also nice in flesh.
Then, compare it with the Urban Choco...
hmm... yummy!
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum