Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NBN ... Confused

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am hoping someone who has connected to the NBN can provide some advice and some photos of what I am trying to envision... We are in an NBN estate, I am planning to move in about a months time. Due to Telstra's slow connection rate, I organized or this to happen Monday. Today the NBN co. rang to make an appoinment for organizing the connection, talk about efficient but this has raised some concerns for me. Along with the phone call, they emailed me this guide...
http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/down ... 210212.pdf

Hope that link works... On page 10, it talks about what needs to get installed where... And to think of suitable locations, at our electrical appointment they suggested the garage, but clearly on page 10, it states not the garage... I am beginning to not have faith in my electrical advisers... So I am asking the experienced in this area... Where do you have these devices located? Can you provide me with a photo so I can see the location that is suitable. Yes there are photos in the guide but until I have a frame of reference that is useless. Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

I phoned NBN and they told me garage is not the best location because it is not insulated. However, when I went for my electrical appointment, the consultant (Argus electrical) said that they usually place the NBN provision in garage. So, I'm also looking for someone who can shed some light to this...
On a side note, one of my friends have fibre optic service (Opticomm not NBN). He has the device (similar to NBN's network termination device) placed in the garage - and it's been working fine for him.
Our is also with Opticomm, it's in the garage, and it's fine. Can't think of a better place for it really unless you want to lose wall or cupboard space.
NBN is different to opticomm and I think that's the problem, they classed it as the same. In the Telstra guide it says the NBNco equipment should be placed in the same room as the Telstra bigpond velocity home network gateway. The gateway should be ideally placed where it is used the most... For us, we have a 34 squares home, our garage is at the front and our kids room and rumpus are at the back...this does not seem to be the ideal location...upon finding out this information from Telstra...i had suggested the pantry in the appointment and was told, no most people get it in the garage..." Would love more answers but especially pictures so I have a reference to my decision making...

If opticomm looks the same as NBNco, then that would reassure me... Thanks again
ours is also being placed in the garage we were told it was the best place
1rocky - Had you seen the Telstra guide before you made this decision? Did you make this decision or were you advised this by your electrical adviser? Regardless on whether you have NBN supplied by Telstra or aapt.. Who do it in our area... You will need NBNco to install this equipment... Interested to see if people were aware of this guide before they decided on the placement of the devices... NBNco advised in their phone call against the garage!
1sttimebuilding2012
but clearly on page 10, it states not the garage...

Happy to stand corrected, but I think this is specifically referring to detached garages - e.g. not part of the main building structure.

I personally would not install my equipment in the garage - due to the increased risk of dust and sometimes garages are not as well insulated as the rest of the house so they get hot.

However if you check out the Home Theatre forum, you'll find plenty of people that do keep their servers etc in their garage. Plus's of doing so- they are out of the road and well ventilated.

Did you have data cabling installed in your place? A great place to place the NBN NTD, would be where all your data cabling routes back to, or near a point which does.

For example, my switch, modem, router and network storage all sit in a cupboard in my media room (which is ventilated to outside)
Just to clarify - the box in the garage, is that the Premise Connection Device or the Network Termination Unit?

http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/gallery-nb ... ation.html
I have said the study is where it would mainly go and got a data point there when we did our electrical plan, but I did not request a dedicated PowerPoint for this as I did not know it needed it, which is also what the Telstra guide is now advising me... I also got data points in rumpus and kids room. Thanks for he pic atom-ute. Any other pictures?
Serenity_Now
Just to clarify - the box in the garage, is that the Premise Connection Device or the Network Termination Unit?

http://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/gallery-nb ... ation.html

The network termination unit... Thanks that's a great link and what I was after.
it will be the Network Termination unit (NTU). the Premise connection device will be located outside. The NBN provision that I get from my builder also includes a conduit from the outside wall to inside garage where the NTU will be located...
Now it raises up my concern again whether I should have nominated the study room for the NTU location... Helppppp....
mtz08
it will be the Network Termination unit (NTU). the Premise connection device will be located outside. The NBN provision that I get from my builder also includes a conduit from the outside wall to inside garage where the NTU will be located...
Now it raises up my concern again whether I should have nominated the study room for the NTU location... Helppppp....

I think you feel my confusion and frustration.... Lol
Ours is being put in the WIR
Just found this on the NBN website:
http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/document ... ablers.pdf

If you refer to Page 2, they do install in garages so it must be as atom_ute said, they probably means that you can't install in a detached garage. Talk about confusing! :S
These are official NBNCo videos. Might help explain a few things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsOGXiZ ... gs5BeOVDsw

Most existing houses dont have wiring for data points around the house, so getting the NTD installed in the garage makes zero sense. If your house is coming pre-wired for data to the Study/Theatre/etc you will have a central point for the wiring in your house. Ideally your builder should have provisions for the either form of fibre coming into the house as well.
Thanks bleh24... I think that video explains it quite well... Not the garage! Arghhh!
Hi, I have just completed the confusing NBN journey. It is suggested the hub be placed in a pantry or WIR, not a garage, and bearing in mind that it emitts a bright constant glow. It needs to be near a power point, phone point and data point. NBNco only provide the fibre optic cable from street to hub, and the hub. The rest (wiring and points) has to be done by someone else. Hope this helps.
Based on the video, the location for NTU should be:
-near power pt
-near cool dry ventilated area
-out of harms way
-near existing phone or network cabling
-easy to access

I would think a garage also qualify all of the above (except for point 4). Yes?

?_?
Located near you phone connection???
Something I’ve just learnt as it’s happened this week in our build….

If there is going to be conduit installed during a new build (with a pullwire) so the cable can be run from the Premises Connection Device (outside of house) to the Network Termination Unit (inside connected to the modem, etc) then the conduit has a maximum number of bends.

“Maximum total (cumulative) bend angles: 270 degrees between accessible draw points”

That’s why the garage at the front is convenient. If you are going to locate the NTU at the back then you need to ensure that you have access to multiply draw points along the route.
Related
19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum