Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hamptons double-storey Melb - back landscaping stage 2

Page 1 of 43
Hi all,
We bought our block (with an existing house) in July 2011 and our build has finally begun, it's been a long time coming.
Here are our plans:

Our block is 700sqm and slopes downwards towards the backyard with views of the city and valley.

Our build is estimated to be approximately 9 months, at this point it's going to come very close to when our 12 month rental lease finishes so fingers crossed.

Here's to hoping for a smooth build!
Yay Cinder, you now have a thread
So all we have so far (although I am grateful for anything) is the start of foundations. Here are some pics of what was done over the past week.

Question for people - should there be temporary fencing around the site? Because there isn't!
Thanks HomeAngels!
Gorgeous. I love the style of house you are building. Cant wait to see more. Goodluck with it and hopefully things runs smoothly and on time for you.
I hope to see foundations starting on my site in a few weeks so I understand your excitement about it!

Not sure re temporary fencing. Maybe it goes up after slab?
our temporary fencing went up after slab.
house plans are awesome
Thanks to you all. OK cool then I guess fencing isn't too far off.
Wonder how long the gap is from concreting to the next stage (for us putting the stumps in I guess).
cinder
Thanks to you all. OK cool then I guess fencing isn't too far off.
Wonder how long the gap is from concreting to the next stage (for us putting the stumps in I guess).

It was only two days after the foundations and slab (very similar in design to your foundations) were poured before our builder had a temp fence up and the posts were started to be bolted down.
Good, thanks PAB. Lovely sunshiny weather in Melbourne at the moment (too hot for some!) so they've got no excuses!
cinder
Good, thanks PAB. Lovely sunshiny weather in Melbourne at the moment (too hot for some!) so they've got no excuses!

Luck you! We've had nothing but rain for the last two week but they've toiled away between showers and got the floor down earlier this week and the ground floor frame went up today - blog updated soon....
Your plans look awesome Cinder, we are at very similar stages and my plans are kind of similar too
. All the best for a stress free build! Really like your walk-in storage on ground floor and great use of space upstairs. I am struggling with external colours... I have painted so many sample boards! Did you end up deciding on your exterior colour for the weatherboard?
Thanks Forest. Yeah we moved some things around from the standard (would you believe they wanted to put the toilet there coming off the kitchen - no thanks) so we ended up with some free space to add storage.

We have gone with Dulux Endless Dusk, we found that both Tranquil Retreat and Milton Moon were too light.

Endless Dusk

Milton Moon

Endless Dusk & Milton Moon with white for the window trim. You can see Tranquil Retreat at the base there.

Because we're having Colourbond Surfmist which is basically white/silver we wanted the weatherboards to give that contrast otherwise think it'd be too washed out. I think Tranquil Retreat or Milton Moon would be good if you had a darker roof.

Thanks for the question!
love the house plans and colour selection
Thanks very much
Looks like some fantastic action on your site - love the house plans too

Goodluck for an ontime and smooth build ...
Looking forward to following your build. I love a weatherboard house and after 10 years of living in Aus, DH who is English is starting to come around to also loving them.

Your colours are fantastic.
Thanks to you both. Heading off to the block after dinner to take some more pics.

I love weatherboard too (except not the ones that are derelict! Plenty of those around!), when it's done well it's timeless (in my opinion anyway!).
I agree, I think weatherboards are timeless too. Can't wait to see more pics
Thanks for posting guys, it means a lot to know people are interested!

Well took some shots tonight, nothing earth shattering, just the bricks have arrived to be laid out. So where the bricks are going is to enclose the house from underneath if that makes sense (so you can't walk under the house where the slope starts), so they will only be seen from the rear of the house. They weren't my ideal colour but they were the best of a bad bunch basically. I would have loved a grey but that was outside the permitted range.

Oh and we have a temporary fence now, woot!
Related
31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum