Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Suggested stacker door coverings to mix with shutters??

Page 1 of 1
I am trying to get a budget together for window furnishings. I have decided all windows will be white plantation shutters, but in our family/meals and rumpus rooms we have 2 sets of stacker doors and I think that shutter stackers will be too much and take up too much room, especially with the glass stackers too.

So, any suggestions on what anyone has done where you have shutters and stackers in the same room. There are 2 windows at the end of fammily room and a large window and narrow window in the rumpus that will be shutters so need something that will blend well.

Something to block out the heat in summer and also keep the heat in during winter.

I am thinkiing panel roller blinds so perhaps 3 panels that independently raise - just don't know!

Here is an image of the main room I am talking about:
looking from the door and kitchen end to the alfresco
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/familymealslanai_zps63a6c11b.jpg

looking the other way from the end of the family meals to the kitchen and into the rumpus:

Plus there is also our master that has a sliding door. You can see our house plan on my thread below for the layout.

Any pictures would be awsome.

Thanks.
I'll sign up to this one Lilac! We've been in the house 3 years and still haven't decided on a blind for the stackas.

We just like being on show.
Hey Jodge - part of me is wondering do we really need to cover up straight away.... the windows that is!

It's not so much privacy as we aren't really over looked from the back (unless someone misses the 8th green, goes too far in to the bush looking for their ball and finds our back garden - then they may get more than they bargained for...) but more the heat and cooling factor.

We won't have aircon straight away as we just couldn't get it in the budget upfront, but just at a loss as to what will go in that space.

Our master also has a sliding door so that does need to be covered and would like to keep them uniformed with the stackers (even though they are nowhere near each other).

Our design is very open plan so I think plantation doors will be too heavy... if that makes any sense.
Well you're on a bit of land. . . doesn't that do away with the need to cover up at all? Not talking about windows. . .

We're the same, the big doors are at the back, we're about 60 metres from the road, we spend most of our time in the theatre room anyway, so doesn't bother us at all.
We are having panel glides, block out in the theatre room, and normal in the living room...
Hi firstime,

That is what I have been thinking of myself to be honest and is my first choice. Just need to look at a few suppliers and check the quality.

We looked a while back at silent gliss, but were so expensive, however I guess you only pay for what you get - the quality was amazing - went with shutters in the end through a local company. This was for a sliding door though, so now we have stackers it's different and either sectioned roller blinds or panel glides i think are the best options.... I think!

Where are you getting yours from if you don't mind - are you in Sydney?
I think the panel glides are good if you have a bit of wall space where you can tuck them away.

In reality, we'd probably never close the blinds anyway, so that's probably why we never bothered.
Lilac - A lot of people like the look of panel blinds, but for a lot, like your situation it really looks like you won't have space for them to stack back
How much space do you need for stacking them??

Just checked the plans - If I were to do them I would slide the family meals from the corner to the back wall exposing the corner view - Space between back wall and stacker door frame is 710mm.

For rumpus I would slide from the corner back to the wall. Wall space between wall and door frame is 590mm.

Any ideas if that's enough?

I probably will have them open most of the time - it's just to have the option to cover during hot days (although alfresco will protect most sun) but in Winter, keeping the heat in - our house is very open and that section of the house is all large format tiles so quite cool.
We getting the panel glides with abbey blinds in Sydney. They will be installed at handover, but that's still a few months away lol
hey 1sttime,

Do you have much wall either side where they sit? How much wall do you have?

Problem looking at our plans is our Master bedroom sliding door is definitely going to need roller style as either side of the sliding door are windows, so glides won't work.

That means we would have a mix of shutters on the windows, glides on the stackers and roller on the master sliding.

Roller on the sliding I am thinking these - saw them on a friends place yesterdayand are amazing:

You can roll them up like a roller blind so you can expose the window.
For some privacy you can roll so the solid/clear panels alternate like thisallowing light and privacy:
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/slidingdoorcovering_zps2c46e46a.png

or then roll so you have solid/solid panel to close for complete privacy to look like this:
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r590/Lilac500/slidingdoorclosed_zpse0e80406.png

They also look quite similar to shutters so I think will mix well.
Lilac - your room layout is similar to mine.
We are doing shutters and will be putting roller blinds on our stackers.
I wasn't convinced but went to visit our "blind guys" place and it looks great.
They sit out of the way when up.
We will be doing a type of material that can't be seen through from the outside during day light but isn't a complete block out.
Oh. . . my friend has motorized roller blinds on her bifold doors. They're good! As they're motorized, you don't have the cords hanging down.
I was going to look in to motorised Jodge - something about the cords - especially with kids running around and the largest set of stackers being in the rumpus - aka DS's play room until we can afford a pool table - I want it to be a safe place - although I think most have standards now - still - no cords will look good!

Smorgzzz - you're in Sydney - who are you getting your blinds through if I can ask - or pm me if you prefer.

I am getting various quotes and my friend lives next door to an interior designer and her shutter man is supposed to be extremely good and cheap as he is wholesale. I haven't had pricing yet but in the last few months he has fitted out my best friend's home, the interior designers and also my Mum's place - but he is shutters - don't think he does other blinds, but will still be getting other quotes too.

In our old place in Kellyville I had Ds's nursery fitted through stylehouse and they were really cheap compared to other companies at the time, this was 4 years ago though but the shutters looked great!

If you have found them helpful I would be interested in seeing what they have.

thanks
Lilac - We are using All Blind Solutions (02) 9837 8668 or 0414 648 944
He lives in our estate and has done about 30+ homes in here and does all over Sydney.
He's a really nice guy.
I'd love to get ours motorised, not sure if it can be done but we'll see how we go.
Hi lilac, great thread topic, I'm glad you asked as I'm also wondering the same. My living room is a similar shape and set up to yours but I'm thinking of having double roller blinds (a sunscreen and a block out) on the windows, stacker and slider. Our 2 windows face east and dont have an eave so im hoping the block out blind will do just that. We also have timber floors so hopefully the sunscreen blind will help protect the floor a bit. We thought about panel blinds on the stacker and slider but I like that the rollers can be rolled all the way up and out of the way. I didnt realise you could get motorised ones, i like the sound of them.

Our pool room and master bed especially is where I'm a bit stuck and going to have a mix. Our master bed has a highlight window (maybe like one in your rumpus) and a slider. I think shutters will look best on the highlight window but not sure what to put on the slider, have been thinking maybe a curtain but it will probably look odd.

Our pool room has 3 tall skinny windows and a slider. The 3 windows are on the front so id like shutters on them and I'm thinking probably just more double rollers on the slider.

I see you are in Sydney as well, I'd be grateful for recommendations if you have any.
Related
11/10/2023
Stacker door thresholds

Windows & Doors

Sure looks like the type of track that I fitted to my house. My supplier said that the underside has a tray which drains to the front. They cut vertical slots in it. So as…

26/07/2023
Builder used the wrong concrete mix

Building A New House

there is only 20% difference in concrete strength between 20 mpa and 25 mpa, so check with your engineer first if it fits his calculation tolerances. There are ways to…

12/03/2024
Window coverings

Window Furnishings

Hi there I'm looking for a independent company for a expert report on my blinds ,sheers & plantation shutters I'm in Melbourne

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum